The forum of the forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The forum of the forums
4 posters

USERS POSTING FROM THIS IP ADDRESS

Guardian-Angel
    Guardian-Angel
    Forumember

Language : English

Solved USERS POSTING FROM THIS IP ADDRESS

Post by Guardian-Angel June 9th 2017, 2:07 pm

Hello

How accurate is this information. There are times when I see two users posting from the same IP Address where I know for a fact, they have nothing to do with eachother.

Other times, clearly it's the same person with multiple usernames which I do not allow on my forum.

Can someone clarify.

Thanks

Last edited by Guardian-Angel on June 13th 2017, 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 19327
    Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

Solved Re: USERS POSTING FROM THIS IP ADDRESS

Post by Ape June 9th 2017, 3:33 pm

If you see the same IP address on 2 or more account's then it is one of two things

the member has 2 accounts or the member has a family or friend that also has the IP address

like with me and my wife we have the same IP address as we live in the same house but also the guy that lives the other side of the street he was a staff member of mine and he had to give up he's internet so i told him he can use my wifi to keep him in as staff so that my be why you have more then one account with the same IP address

what you have to do is ask your member if they have 1 or more account's

There is nothing we can do about this as its your rules.

USERS POSTING FROM THIS IP ADDRESS Left1212USERS POSTING FROM THIS IP ADDRESS Center11USERS POSTING FROM THIS IP ADDRESS Right112
    USERS POSTING FROM THIS IP ADDRESS Ape_b110
    USERS POSTING FROM THIS IP ADDRESS Ape1010
    brandon_g
    brandon_g
    Manager
    Manager

Male Posts : 10113

Post by brandon_g June 9th 2017, 4:03 pm

Hello,

Yeah as Ape said the only way 2 users should the same ip is if they are either a person with 2 accounts or they have family or friends posting from the same house/ip address.

This happens with 2 of my staff members as well on my forum because they are brothers and live in the same house, as such they have the same ip.

I suppose the only other possible feasible way this could occur is if one or two of your users were using a public hot spot (like a mcdonalds or something) and two users just so happen to be in the same place using the same public wifi. Though this last one I feel the chances are very unlikely and it is more likely one the first 2 scenarios.

What I would do is ask the users this happens on if they have any family or friends who have accounts on your forum that may post from the same house or wifi as them.

-Brandon

USERS POSTING FROM THIS IP ADDRESS Brando10
    Remember to mark your topic USERS POSTING FROM THIS IP ADDRESS Solved15 when a solution is found.
    General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

USERS POSTING FROM THIS IP ADDRESS Scre1476
    Team Leader
    Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
    Guardian-Angel
    Guardian-Angel
    Forumember

Post by Guardian-Angel June 13th 2017, 5:45 pm

Thank you both for the responses.

Topic solved.
    Draxion