Bug in the Event system? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
3 posters

Bug in the Event system?

TonnyKamper
    TonnyKamper
    Active Poster

Female Posts : 1080
    Language : Dutch/English

Solved Bug in the Event system?

Post by TonnyKamper September 4th 2017, 1:47 am

Hello dear friends of Forumotion,

I tried to make an event today on my official phpBB2 forum, I always do that without filling in a location, because I think it's a risk displaying your home address for the world to see, especially on my official forum which hold vulnerable people with trauma's who joined only because they could have nicknames visible instead of their real names.. So today I made an event as usual but after submitting, the event displayed my home location on a google map, even when I hadn't filled in the location.. so I deleted it and tried several times more, but still the same result.. So I asked one of my moderators to try to make an event to see if the same thing happens and it happened with her too..

So I'm wondering if this is a bug, maybe related to the recent problems of the attack to Forumotion when they had to put up a full backup ? Think
    Because before that the event system worked fine, no location was displayed when none was filled in.. The way it is now is not workable for us !
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51500
    Language : English

Solved Re: Bug in the Event system?

Post by SLGray September 4th 2017, 10:50 am

Were you logged into a Google account if you have one when you did this event?  It could be that is the reason why.

Bug in the Event system? Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.
    TonnyKamper
    TonnyKamper
    Active Poster

Post by TonnyKamper September 4th 2017, 12:43 pm

SLGray wrote:Were you logged into a Google account if you have one when you did this event?  It could be that is the reason why.

Thanks for your reply @SLGray yes I was, but before when everything worked fine I was also logged into my google account, that's always logged in because the notifications are served to that account, it didn't caused this problem before.. Sniff
    Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 19330
    Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

Post by Ape September 4th 2017, 3:42 pm

Some little updates may have been added to the system and when logged in to a google account it would pick your account up on your browsers.

My advice is to log out of google account before making your Event.

Bug in the Event system? Left1212Bug in the Event system? Center11Bug in the Event system? Right112
    Bug in the Event system? Ape_b110
    Bug in the Event system? Ape1010
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SLGray September 4th 2017, 7:43 pm

I believe there has been some updates on Google's side because there has been some changes to the Google share buttons/links, too, on own forums.

TonnyKamper
    TonnyKamper
    Active Poster

Post by TonnyKamper September 4th 2017, 9:23 pm

APE wrote:Some little updates may have been added to the system and when logged in to a google account it would pick your account up on your browsers.

My advice is to log out of google account before making your Event.

Thanks for your reply @APE but if that's the case I would think that it's rather agressive of Google to force peoples home addresses to be displayed publicly, even when they gave no permission to it and did not filled in their location, it still forces it to be published.. isn't that violating privacy laws?
    Now it looks like people would have the option to not display this, but in reality they don't have a choice at all .. So if this is really the case I won't be using the event system any more because people on my forum need their privacy garanteed, because a lot of their abusers are still hunting after them and it would be a disaster for them if their addresses of their 'safe houses' would be displayed for the world to see if they made an event, opted for no location and submitted it trusting it would be allright.. This need to be fixed or people like us cannot use that system anymore I'm afraid Crying or Very sad
    TonnyKamper
    TonnyKamper
    Active Poster

Post by TonnyKamper September 4th 2017, 9:28 pm

SLGray wrote:I believe there has been some updates on Google's side because there has been some changes to the Google share buttons/links, too, on own forums.

Thanks for your reply @SLGray I'll give you the same answer I gave to APE above..

If that's the case I would think that it's rather agressive of Google to force peoples home addresses to be displayed publicly, even when they gave no permission to it and did not filled in their location, it still forces it to be published.. isn't that violating privacy laws?
    Now it looks like people would have the option to not display this, but in reality they don't have a choice at all .. So if this is really the case I won't be using the event system any more because people on my forum need their privacy garanteed, because a lot of their abusers are still hunting after them and it would be a disaster for them if their addresses of their 'safe houses' would be displayed for the world to see if they made an event, opted for no location and submitted it trusting it would be allright.. This need to be fixed or people like us cannot use that system anymore I'm afraid Crying or Very sad
    Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Ape September 4th 2017, 9:47 pm

What we could do is pass this on to our pro admin and see if they think something can be done our end but i think that would take a long time to do this as it has took a long time to even get this system installed on our system in the first place.

I understand your point this is why i will talk to our pro admin about it some more and get back to you on this matter.

Kind regards.

APE.

Bug in the Event system? Left1212Bug in the Event system? Center11Bug in the Event system? Right112
    TonnyKamper
    TonnyKamper
    Active Poster

Post by TonnyKamper September 4th 2017, 10:02 pm

APE wrote:What we could do is pass this on to our pro admin and see if they think something can be done our end but i think that would take a long time to do this as it has took a long time to even get this system installed on our system in the first place.

I understand your point this is why i will talk to our pro admin about it some more and get back to you on this matter.

Kind regards.

APE.

Thank you very much for understanding @APE I will wait patiently for your reply and in the meantime I will advise our people not to use the system, or better I might disable it all together for the time being..

Kind Regards Smile
    Tonny.
    Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Ape September 4th 2017, 10:04 pm

Your welcome.

I have made my notes to the pro staff and i hope to have news back from them or they will post here them self.

APE.

TonnyKamper
    TonnyKamper
    Active Poster

Post by TonnyKamper September 5th 2017, 1:11 pm

APE wrote:Your welcome.

I have made my notes to the pro staff and i hope to have news back from them or they will post here them self.

APE.

Thank you very much @APE
    I'd like to add to it that even logged out of the google account the map with your home address is forced to be displayed..
    I even installed a brand new browser which has no cookies in the cache yet and logged in with that, I managed to create one event which displayed the right way without a google map, but when I made a second one the same thing occurs, the map with home address is forced to be displayed..
    So it seems Google is overriding the initial option/choice of not displaying the map by not filling in the field.. Think

Kind Regards,
    Tonny
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SLGray September 5th 2017, 7:53 pm

In the future, you need to use the multi-quotes when you want to reply to more than one post at a time.

When you say it shows your address, do you mean the all address or just your hometown?

TonnyKamper
    TonnyKamper
    Active Poster

Post by TonnyKamper September 5th 2017, 10:03 pm

SLGray wrote:In the future, you need to use the multi-quotes when you want to reply to more than one post at a time.

When you say it shows your address, do you mean the all address or just your hometown?

Okay I will try to remember that @SLGray thank you! I never needed to use that before, but I'll find out how it works and use that in the future..

The map shows your hometown initially but when you zoom in it also show's your location in your hometown, you can try it yourself to see what I mean.. so that is not acceptable for one who doesn't want to display their address for the world to see.. Everywhere on the web you get warned to not display such kind of information on places where everyone can read it.. it is quite dangerous to do so according to experts and the police, so I don't want it to be displayed and before it worked as it should, but since the last days it gives this result.. I think that if the team can't change this behavior because it's due to Google forcing this they need to warn people of this side effect..

Kind regards,
    Tonny
    Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Ape September 6th 2017, 12:39 am

Thank you for your data @TonnyKamper we are looking in to this some more.

I have made a report on this i have also tested this and found the same thing.

SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SLGray March 10th 2018, 2:59 am

Removed from the garbage.

TonnyKamper
    TonnyKamper
    Active Poster

Post by TonnyKamper March 10th 2018, 12:57 pm

Issue is solved, the home address isn't displayed anymore when you leave the location blanc, only the countryname get's displayed..
    Thank you guys for fixing this Bow 2 Huzzah

Kind regards,
    Tonny Kamper
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SLGray March 10th 2018, 6:30 pm

Problem solved & topic archived.
    Please read our forum rules:  ESF General Rules