The forum of the forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The forum of the forums
+2
skouliki
Paull
6 posters

Forumotion Support Search function

Paull
    Paull
    Forumember

Language : English

Forumotion Support Search function Empty Forumotion Support Search function

Post by Paull May 4th 2019, 3:38 pm

Hi,

Firstly, pologies if I'm posting in the wrong area - please feel free to move.

I find that, when searching for advice and help on the support forum, the returned list appears to be based on each individual keywords. For example 'list new posts' appears to return posts containing ['posts' or 'list' or 'new']
    It would be far more useful to return posts containing, [list and new and posts] or [list and new] or [new and post] or [list and posts] or 'posts' or 'list' or 'new' - ordered by keyword count in descending order.

Having spent many years writing SQL I know this is perfectly possible.
    Any chance of any upgrade to your search engine?

Last edited by Paull on May 4th 2019, 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    skouliki
    skouliki
    Manager
    Manager

Female Posts : 15311
    Language : English,Greek

Forumotion Support Search function Empty Re: Forumotion Support Search function

Post by skouliki May 4th 2019, 5:21 pm

hello

The extended search is a feature that allows, in addition to searching in topic titles (as does the classic forum search), to search terms in message content.
    This feature is only accessible for forums having subscribed to the package Forumotion Support Search function 312592876
    https://help.forumotion.com/t155626-extended-search#1070899

Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 19324
    Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

Post by Ape May 5th 2019, 10:15 am

there is lots of ways to do your search you are talking about.

Here on the support forum we have a Advanced Search that is set in your tool /nav bar at the top of your forum.

This lets you pick how you you want to search the forum
    Forumotion Support Search function Captu160
    You will need to have at-least a Forumotion Support Search function 312592876 pack to do the best of the part of the search as you can see we have it so you can look in topic's / titles and you can then press Advanced Search this gives you lots more ways to look for things.

Forumotion Support Search function Left1212Forumotion Support Search function Center11Forumotion Support Search function Right112
    Forumotion Support Search function Ape_b110
    Forumotion Support Search function Ape1010
    Paull
    Paull
    Forumember

Post by Paull May 5th 2019, 10:53 am

Well aware of advanced your 'Advanced' search functions, but you are missing my point, The SQL STATEMENT generated by the search engine parses a very simple SELECT statement ie.

SELECT topics WHERE post CONTAINS <keyword> OR <keyword> OR <keyword> AND (other SELECT criteria)
    and thus returns many results that are not really related to the QUERY. Have a closer look at my example.
    If you don't understand SQL then please seek advice. If the answer is 'The SQL parser is out of our control the' - then so be it. Thanks
    Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 19324
    Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

Post by Ape May 5th 2019, 12:13 pm

I can't see this getting added right now as we have a small team of tech staff and we are updating things as soon as we can and i think this is one thing that would be put to the bottom of the list as there is more things to get made and update. and this one is not really something that needs to be updated right away.

Forumotion Support Search function Left1212Forumotion Support Search function Center11Forumotion Support Search function Right112
    Forumotion Support Search function Ape_b110
    Forumotion Support Search function Ape1010
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51498

Post by SLGray May 5th 2019, 8:03 pm

Is this really a question/issue or a suggestion?

Forumotion Support Search function Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.
    Jucarese
    Jucarese
    Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2539
    Language : spanish

Post by Jucarese May 5th 2019, 9:13 pm

The search engine of the forum only looks for the words contained only in the titles of the subjects, not in the contents of the same ones,So return results whose titles contain any of those words
    Paull
    Paull
    Forumember

Post by Paull May 6th 2019, 3:34 pm

SLGray wrote:Is this really a question/issue or a suggestion?

Merely a suggestion, but implementation would be a great improvement and would, IMHO, reduce the number of repeated questions. Please close for now and I'll keep checking back. Cheers
    Paull
    Paull
    Forumember

Post by Paull May 6th 2019, 3:37 pm

jucarese wrote:The search engine of the forum only looks for the words contained only in the titles of the subjects, not in the contents of the same ones,So return results whose titles contain any of those words

Again you miss my point - searching the Titles is fine but the SQL implementation is too simplistic to be of real value. I refer you to my previous post. Cheers
    brandon_g
    brandon_g
    Manager
    Manager

Male Posts : 10113

Post by brandon_g May 6th 2019, 4:40 pm

Hello,

There is no way to change how the search engine works from a user side of things. This would have to be done by our team in the head office. I do not believe there are any current plans to modify the search engine any further. You are welcome to create a topic in the suggestions section for this though and maybe our team will implement it at some point: https://help.forumotion.com/f30-suggestions-for-your-forums .

-Brandon

Forumotion Support Search function Brando10
    Remember to mark your topic Forumotion Support Search function Solved15 when a solution is found.
    General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

Forumotion Support Search function Scre1476
    Team Leader
    Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51498

Post by SLGray May 6th 2019, 9:46 pm

Topic Locked

Forumotion Support Search function Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.

Current date/time is September 22nd 2024, 9:42 am