Banned Member Causing Problems Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
3 posters

Banned Member Causing Problems

Valen Akari
    Valen Akari

Language : Wouldn't you like to know?

In progress Banned Member Causing Problems

Post by Valen Akari Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:23 am

I apologize if this is the wrong area for this, please forgive me.

Recently we had a previously permanently banned member of our forum return under a new alias with what I assume is a VPN to the identity of the original account. When he was eventually discovered he was immediately banned once more.

However last night he logged onto the site and made two accounts named 'Viper Uchiha' and 'Forumotion Support' and posted a topic that when opened made the following appear on the screen.

Banned Member Causing Problems Temp110

The issue was discovered to be a line of code that was embedded into the signatures of those who clicked the button. That code is shown below in the next screenshot.

Banned Member Causing Problems Temp210

Said code was discovered by a member and has since been removed from the signatures of those affected. However something suspicious is occurring after the fact.

Both accounts were banned immediately but if one looks at the accounts now they still have the ban option. Upon clicking the ban options and assigning a time frame this window appears.

Banned Member Causing Problems Temp310

Obviously this looks suspicious to us when normally you can't even hit 'ban' on an already banned members account, as shown here.

Banned Member Causing Problems Tak110

Rather than click the 'ok' button and risk something more insidious, I came here immediately to see if anyone had any idea about it or if I'm simply being paranoid.

Furthermore, I'd like to know if I have any options to stop people from doing this in the first place. I've already turned on the setting that keeps people from posting external links for a week after creation. However that seems a poor defense since anyone who really wants to cause problems and is willing to right a line of code at all to do so is willing to wait. Requiring each account to be verified can be circumvented with a VPN, same as the original ban was.

I would appreciate any assistance in this matter.

Thank you.
    skouliki
    skouliki
    Manager
    Manager

Female Posts : 15287
    Language : English,Greek

In progress Re: Banned Member Causing Problems

Post by skouliki Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:53 am

hello

you can ban the user's ip and email but unfortunately, there is no way to prevent him from registering again in your forum if he uses different IPs or emails

the is a method called the dog house ...
    the dog house is nothing more then a hidden group you place members in with no permissions to anything on the forum..
    you don't ban them, they are just stuck in there, and when they try to come back with new ip you just add the new account again in that group...
    sooner or later they will get sick of being put in the group and just move on, or at least that is the plan...

where exactly do you see the ban option?
    cause from the picture in the administration user field i only see the banned reasons

Valen Akari
    Valen Akari

Language : Wouldn't you like to know?

Post by Valen Akari Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:36 am

My apologies, the account I showed as an example was what we see when we normally look at a banned members account. Here is a screenshot of one of the two accounts that is banned that gives us the message I showed

Banned Member Causing Problems Temp410
    skouliki
    skouliki
    Manager
    Manager

Female Posts : 15287
    Language : English,Greek

Post by skouliki Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:44 am

So instead of showing the reasons like the first image shows again the ban option right?
    Is the profile template modified? If yes try to put the default to check if the issue insists

edit: we have some css/templates issues at the moment so i wonder if this is caused by this

Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 19305
    Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

Post by Ape Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:39 pm

When you ban your members you need to make sure you ban the IP address and Email address.

You can do this in your ACP.

Sadly you can only ban the IP address if it's got a host, The bad thing is some mobile providers change the IP address every time you log on to the internet so it's hard to ban the IP address as it will change every time Sad

If your member has a host address linked to the IP address you can always ban the host but this means you will ban every one with the same host. This is never a good way to do it but it can be done.

Banned Member Causing Problems Left1212Banned Member Causing Problems Center11Banned Member Causing Problems Right112
    Banned Member Causing Problems Ape_b110
    Banned Member Causing Problems Ape1010