Trying to make Forum table titles bold in phpBB3 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
+2
Aloverssunset
Brad38
6 posters

Trying to make Forum table titles bold in phpBB3

Brad38
    Brad38
    Forumember

Male Posts : 667
    Language : english

Trying to make Forum table titles bold in phpBB3 Empty Trying to make Forum table titles bold in phpBB3

Post by Brad38 July 18th 2008, 11:49 am

Hello,

Can someone advise me how to change my forum table titles to bold in CSS? I was advised at one point how to change this element by Sunny_D and it worked for the table I wanted it to at that time. Now I would like these other tables to be bold as well:

Here are two examples from this forum of the titles that I would like to appear in bold in my own forum:

Trying to make Forum table titles bold in phpBB3 Exampl23

Trying to make Forum table titles bold in phpBB3 Exampl24

Thanks very much.
    Aloverssunset
    Aloverssunset
    Forumember

Female Posts : 256

Trying to make Forum table titles bold in phpBB3 Empty Re: Trying to make Forum table titles bold in phpBB3

Post by Aloverssunset July 18th 2008, 11:58 am

In Css?

All you should have to do is add

Font weight: bold;
    or
    font weight: Bolder;

If you forget the ; it will not work.

Sandra
    Saurus
    Forumember

Male Posts : 789

Trying to make Forum table titles bold in phpBB3 Empty Re: Trying to make Forum table titles bold in phpBB3

Post by Saurus July 18th 2008, 12:43 pm

Code:

li.header dt, li.header dd {
    border-left-width:0pt;
    color:#FFFFFF;
    font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;
    font-size:1em;
    font-weight: bold;  <ADD THIS
    line-height:1em;
    margin:2px 0pt 4px;
    padding-bottom:2px;
    padding-top:2px;
    text-transform:uppercase;
    }

Or, if you don't care to change any of the other parameters, you can just add this
    Code:
    li.header dt, li.header dd {font-weight: bold}
    to your CSS sheet
    Brad38
    Brad38
    Forumember

Post by Brad38 July 18th 2008, 11:06 pm

Hi Sandra and Saurus...

Thank you both for your suggestions and replies but neither of them worked. Sandra, there is more to fixing a custom CSS than what you have proposed to do in code. Saurus, yours doesn't work either and I tried different combinations of that code you provided.

With custom CSS in phpBB3, it seems to be a little more difficult and I'm only looking to change very simple elements. In the past, I've gotten very simplistic codes that worked right away from Sunny_D & recently from Jalokim (who created the skin I'm using). The codes that they have provided are very simple and only affect the elements that I'm asking about to change. They are more or less "add-ons" to my custom CSS and affect the specific elements I'm wanting to change.

Thanks though folks, for trying to help me but I think I need to hear from either Sunny_D or Jalokim for this. Embarassed
    Saurus
    Forumember

Post by Saurus July 19th 2008, 1:17 am

Are you using Firefox by any chance, Brad?
    I ask because there is a very useful add-on called WebDeveloper, and another named Firebug. Using either or both of these makes it a lot easier to find what parts of a website/forum/whatever translate to in code - CSS elements or HTML. Both are available from the Firefox add-ons site. Firebug does not work on FF3, though.

phpBB3 is definitely more difficult to pinpoint the correct elements. The piece I gave you has worked for other people on their templates, but I acknowledge that using other custom codes can result in their NOT working on a specific forum. That's one of the reasons I don't like phpBB3 - the coding is totally weird compared to other software.

Just one point ... I've noticed that entering codes with the "code" tags leaves a lot to be desired in the output. Quite a few times I have overlooked a dot or a semi-colon because I couldn't see it very well. Not saying you didn't enter the code properly, but it's easy to overlook a minor thing that can affect the outcome. Those add-ons I mentioned make things a LOT more clear to see.
    Saurus
    Forumember

Post by Saurus July 19th 2008, 1:28 am

If you'd care to take another shot at it, I checked your site again. According to what Firebug says now, the class for making the text on your categories is named: "li.header dl.icon dt" Why in the world they would name a simple description like that is beyond me, but if you'd like to try it,
    Code:

li.header dl.icon dt {padding-left:0pt; font-weight:bold;}
    Hard to see, but there is a dot between "li" and "header", and another between "dl" and "icon". The "padding left" indicates the space from the end of the cat bar and the start of the title. Increasing the number should move the text to the right.
    Strictly up to you. can't hurt anything if it doesn't work.
    Aloverssunset
    Aloverssunset
    Forumember

Female Posts : 256

Post by Aloverssunset July 19th 2008, 9:26 pm

Brad38 wrote:Hi Sandra and Saurus...

Sandra, there is more to fixing a custom CSS than what you have proposed to do in code

I have worked with css, I was a beta tester in one of the other hosts for phpbb3, I have done custom themes, created them, edited them and so very much more. But it is alright, the "customer" is always right....hahahaha

Sandra
    Brad38
    Brad38
    Forumember

Post by Brad38 July 20th 2008, 2:15 pm

Hi Sandra and Saurus again,

Sandra, I'm sure your code would work if I could just find the specific element I'm trying to change, which I can't. There are lots of places in the CSS that you can change the font to "bold" but I need to find the exact element that will affect only the titles in the index of my forums and on the two tables.

Saurus...yep, I'm using Firefox...didn't know about the webdevelop tool add-on. I may check into that but I'm not so sure it would help me though and because if I get the same codes as you did, then they won't work here either. I don't understand it all and I don't have the answers to why your codes aren't working, but they are not.

Here is a code that Sunny_D provided for me to change the title text on one of my tables. It only affected the titles in my table that comes up when you look at your memberlist.

Code:
    table.table1 thead th{color:#fff;font-weight:bold;}

Now maybe you'll see why I'm having a problem. See how simple it is and see how it's referring to a specific table? I tried to add this same code only adding in "table2" and "table3" to see if it would affect the other tables, but that was a no-go too.

Post by Guest July 20th 2008, 2:22 pm

I use the easy way, When i'm putting the title in while creating the forum in the admin panel

<strong>forum title here</strong>

Or

<bold>forum title here</bold>

regards

Craig
    Saurus
    Forumember

Post by Saurus July 20th 2008, 2:56 pm

Placehold wrote:I use the easy way, When i'm putting the title in while creating the forum in the admin panel

<strong>forum title here</strong>

Or

<bold>forum title here</bold>

regards
    Craig

That should work - I do it that way on another forum I have. I wasn't sure if it would work on phpBB3 or not.

Brad - did you try the newer code? According to both WebDeveloper and Firebug - those are the correct classes. If it still doesn't work ...

Well, that's one of the reasons I don't like v3 - the totallt structure of spans and classes is simply fubarred. Neutral
    Jalokim
    Jalokim
    Energetic

Male Posts : 6113
    Language : English,Polish,CSS,HTML

Post by Jalokim July 20th 2008, 3:23 pm

Yes... i have tried the things they suggested above... and none worked...
    I don't really see anyother way to do it yet...

i'd suggest the <strong> tag as placehold suggested,, that will work

i'll get back to this... i need to find my old forumotion CSS dictionary.... its somewhere on my desk

Post by Guest July 20th 2008, 3:25 pm

I have a copy of the phpbb3 CSS is you want it Jalokim

regards

Craig
    Saurus
    Forumember

Post by Saurus July 20th 2008, 3:30 pm

Placehold wrote:I have a copy of the phpbb3 CSS is you want it Jalokim

I asked for phpBB2 before. Please?

Post by Guest July 20th 2008, 3:32 pm

Just sent you the three CSS templates along with a little something extra Smile

regards

Craig
    zakir321

Post by zakir321 July 20th 2008, 3:33 pm

Hello Brad,

the CSS code provided by Saurus should work already, it's the class for the elements you have described in your screenshots above. However, in small font sizes, changes made in the font-weight, might not always be visible - it should be bold by default as well as far as I know. Maybe that is why you don't notice a difference? Probably it's therefore required to increase the font size a little instead. Try the code below (as usual, add it at the very bottom of your other text) - you can adjust the font-size slightly yourself as well:

li.header dt, li.header dd{font-weight:bold; font-size:1.1em;}

PS: if you would substitute "bold" with "normal", you should be able to see a difference. Smile
    Saurus
    Forumember

Post by Saurus July 20th 2008, 3:44 pm

Shoot - I never even thought of that. It's true - in smaller font sizes, bold and normal font are VERY difficult to discern. My bad Rolling Eyes
    Jalokim
    Jalokim
    Energetic

Male Posts : 6113
    Language : English,Polish,CSS,HTML

Post by Jalokim July 20th 2008, 3:49 pm

darn... again my small brain is too late....
    no wonder nothing changed... the header is always bold... thats why bold tags didn't work...

and i wanted to be smart by saying use a bigger font size... but sunny beat me to it....
    Saurus
    Forumember

Post by Saurus July 20th 2008, 4:36 pm

Jalokim wrote:darn... again my small brain is too late....
    no wonder nothing changed... the header is always bold... thats why bold tags didn't work...

and i wanted to be smart by saying use a bigger font size... but sunny beat me to it....

hehehehe...Trying to make Forum table titles bold in phpBB3 NanaTrying to make Forum table titles bold in phpBB3 Crap

Post by Guest July 20th 2008, 4:45 pm

hahahaha <strong> better than the <bold> lol

regards

Craig
    Brad38
    Brad38
    Forumember

Post by Brad38 July 20th 2008, 9:21 pm

Thank you Sunny_D, Jalokim, Saurus and Craig.

Sunny_D, your code worked. Very Happy cheers I tried it without changing the font size and I could see a difference, but I decided to leave your code with the bit larger text and it looks good.

Craig, I did try the </bold> tags before, like you suggested but it never worked. Didn't try the </strong> tag though but since I had already created my forums and there are over 20 of them, the one code that Sunny_D supplied was the easiest and quickest fix. Smile

Thanks again for all who have helped and tried to help me...very much appreciated. SmileVery Happy:)
    Brad38
    Brad38
    Forumember

Post by Brad38 October 31st 2008, 12:18 pm

Hi Sunny D:

Just wondering if you can help me out here again. Your code for what I was asking in the beginning of this topic did work, but about a month later, one element stopped being bold for unknown reasons. I never altered anything in my CSS either that would cause the change.

The bold codes are still working for the headings of "topic, posts, and last post"....but the individual forum titles have reverted back to being not bold. This happened quite awhile ago, and it's not a huge deal, but if you could help me out here again, I would appreciate it. Smile
    Brad38
    Brad38
    Forumember

Post by Brad38 December 5th 2008, 11:29 am

Hi Jalokim....

I'm sorry but I forgot about this issue and am just getting back to you now. I thought I had a thread going about this but I could not find it. Anyway...here's the problem. I want my Forum titles on my index page to be in bold, they were a long time ago, but I guess after some upgrades, they have reverted back to non bold. Here's the example:

Trying to make Forum table titles bold in phpBB3 Exampl10

Can you please assist, this is your skin. Smile

Thank you in advance. Very Happy
    Brad38
    Brad38
    Forumember

Post by Brad38 December 11th 2008, 11:55 am

Hi Jalokim....any news on this?

Thank you very much. Smile

I wish I didn't have so many questions, I'm really a pretty smart guy but this code, CSS and script stuff is all still new to me. Sad
    ^Glyndwr^
    ^Glyndwr^
    Forumember

Male Posts : 124
    Language : English

Post by ^Glyndwr^ December 12th 2008, 2:23 pm

Is this what you are trying to do?

Trying to make Forum table titles bold in phpBB3 Title_12

The way that I did it on my forum was...
    Admin CP>General>Categories & Forums>Modify
    Then in the Category name I typed..
    <center><font size=2><b>Category_name</b></font></center>

The <center> tag was because I wanted the Category title in the centre of the bar.

Hope this is of help to you.