[Only Topic] Why advertisement ???? - Page 8 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
+123
imperialgunnery
Kiekeboe
brij
WHITESABBATH
Plancker
MissLikeICare
Fred1000
Codyy
Gandalfar
Proteas
katarina
magnuse74
Keltic
brenda
BC Staff
psaras
adoz80
see you
Nico©
mcoy
MrMario
adminplpl
Kalliopi
Raziel21
danubius
sgeorge
Bokssha
Nomee
Saxaca
majky
Maki1
tihon4o
kcbban
lindamarie
Queen Julien
lillulu
vonbon
Honor
paor
randi.philleo
Paranormal Dawn
Asteroid35
Goldman26
Doctor Inferno
Shadow
BellaMay
Holyangel
Emma8432
SophieDophs
Mio-chan
Franchise
Cody!
shintre
TheListener_
LBDR
^Glyndwr^
matt_m
mulder_fbi
RAFAJulie
Master Marc
Blaster1
Evanbuddy16
TimV
jjaxd
Prizm
Sanket
Guruland
Darkwing
Yonni
STEELHED
DigitalCyanide
Firdous E. Bareen
th4nhc0n9
TM
Angi
Agenda
Bundy
Linkzeldafan4
rebstew
Tracian
Azuolas
Astrid Landsaat
disdreamer
endless013
esoterica
efbe
jhuggett
Rich Stone
alicia
JP Cloud
kirk
dark_wizzie
fredhoggin
Shikadi
Valerio
Diana
Parrot
livescore
Glad E Olah
Einsteinean
JCC1004
thames 300e
oggbad
Raptor@TDC
Violetstar
Made
Homemadelife
DebconLady
Kabbalien
Darren1
Pontifex
nguyenart
ivan137
wow99
Nina
patiogardener
baldy
Ras
leamarieuk
wildsurfer
Laughing Assassin
ifekt
maiquang
127 posters

[Only Topic] Why advertisement ????

maiquang
    maiquang
    Forumember

Male Posts : 199
    Language : VN

Important [Only Topic] Why advertisement ????

Post by maiquang November 10th 2010, 10:04 am

First topic message reminder :

I have a great time with the other members but Why advertisement column reappear.

Made an Only Topic

Typlo wrote:Dear user,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused, the ads are here to support our developers and the staff so we can offer you new features.

This is only a test for the moment. Wink

Latest Update:
    Typlo wrote:We have taken into consideration your complaints, and due to popular demand we will add back the option "guests" in your admin panel.

So everything will be back to normal on your forums, but if you want to support us please keep the option as it is. Wink

We are sorry for the inconvenience, and will be studying new revenue ways for next year, the option Goldman26 mentioned on Page 10 seems a nice alternative.
    Made
    Made
    Forumember

Female Posts : 180

Important Re: [Only Topic] Why advertisement ????

Post by Made November 11th 2010, 6:55 pm

Sanket wrote:Guys, please everyone needs to calm down. I can understand the problems & anger you feel, however there is nothing that could be done until we hear more on this issue. Discussing, bickering on about the issue & other random things related to database transfer etc is not helping at all.
    Sanket, I'm really sorry if there are people who have gone overboard about this but most of us just want an explanation and to know exactly what to expect in the future. IMO, the lack of communication and mixed messages we've received from FM is what has caused this chaotic situation. Is it a glitch, is it a test, is it here to stay? Well, then just say so!

Master Marc
    Master Marc
    Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3661
    Language : English and Spanish.

Post by Master Marc November 11th 2010, 7:04 pm

Dion wrote:I did some math. It would cost me $8/month to remove the ads from my forum, $4/month for the extra gallery space, and $2/month for the domain name. That's $14/month.

With a two-year commitment, I can get my own site on Yahoo for $13.50/month. I would get a domain name and unlimited subdomains, unlimited bandwidth, 25GB of storage, 10 email addresses (REAL ones, not redirects like what forumotion offers), FTP, PHP/MySQL, and the ability to install a REAL version of phpBB3. And NO ads. (Yahoo does install their analytics script by default, but it can be disabled.)

How do I know this? I've had a site on Yahoo for the past 18 months.

People, think twice before ponying up $$$ to forumotion. Do some research. If forumotion wants to remain competitive, they will need to offer a LOT more than they do now to those who choose to pay for features.
    + rep given, Smile

Also, there are many websites and forums which offers you free top level domain names ( like ForumPromotion.net [ affiliate with forumotion ] / survey websites, etc ) , so you can cross that price off your list. I've just checked out Yahoo Hosting and there hosting deals sounds pretty good. But, if the person doesn't have any money, then they'll have to stay with free hosting ( Forumotion or another free forum host ) .
    Firdous E. Bareen
    Firdous E. Bareen

Male Posts : 3
    Language : English

Post by Firdous E. Bareen November 11th 2010, 7:08 pm

Dion wrote:I did some math. It would cost me $8/month to remove the ads from my forum, $4/month for the extra gallery space, and $2/month for the domain name. That's $14/month.

With a two-year commitment, I can get my own site on Yahoo for $13.50/month. I would get a domain name and unlimited subdomains, unlimited bandwidth, 25GB of storage, 10 email addresses (REAL ones, not redirects like what forumotion offers), FTP, PHP/MySQL, and the ability to install a REAL version of phpBB3. And NO ads. (Yahoo does install their analytics script by default, but it can be disabled.)

How do I know this? I've had a site on Yahoo for the past 18 months.

People, think twice before ponying up $$$ to forumotion. Do some research. If forumotion wants to remain competitive, they will need to offer a LOT more than they do now to those who choose to pay for features.
    Good post. It does put some perspective on paying for the forum.
    RAFAJulie
    RAFAJulie
    Forumember

Female Posts : 55

Post by RAFAJulie November 11th 2010, 7:17 pm

I really do hope that this situation is resolved soon. We are an animal rescue forum helping needy animals, there is an ad regarding the buying and selling of animals. This really does go against what we are striving for Crying or Very sad

[Only Topic] Why advertisement ???? - Page 8 Prelov10

I have circled the ad.........
    mulder_fbi

Post by mulder_fbi November 11th 2010, 8:08 pm

Dion wrote:How do I know this? I've had a site on Yahoo for the past 18 months.

How do you like yahoo so far? We're considering Host Gator. Plans start at $5/mo.

I wouldn't mind the ads so much if I knew about them before starting up our site. Also, it would be nice to pick what type off ads are displayed and where they are displayed. Revenue sharing would be cool too. Smile
    wow99
    Forumember

Language : a few

Post by wow99 November 11th 2010, 8:27 pm

julie h wrote:I really do hope that this situation is resolved soon. We are an animal rescue forum helping needy animals, there is an ad regarding the buying and selling of animals. This really does go against what we are striving for Crying or Very sad

Oh dear that's not good. Confused
    Shikadi

Post by Shikadi November 11th 2010, 8:35 pm

Look what you have done Forumotion in your quest to make millions, be ashamed. Our voices should be heard for once.
    Azuolas
    Forumember

Language : lithuanian/english

Post by Azuolas November 11th 2010, 8:55 pm

julie h wrote:I really do hope that this situation is resolved soon. We are an animal rescue forum helping needy animals, there is an ad regarding the buying and selling of animals. This really does go against what we are striving for Crying or Very sad

I would be very happy if I was you, because you at least get text ads, not that annoying and laggy flash ads..
    matt_m
    Forumember

Post by matt_m November 11th 2010, 9:02 pm

Is there any update on this situation yet??!!?? Surely somebody must know something. The fact that the option for guests only to see ads is completely gone from our admin panels must suggest that this is a decision made by forumotion purposefully.

We just want the truth - and to be heard! Please update soon!
    ^Glyndwr^
    ^Glyndwr^
    Forumember

Male Posts : 124

Post by ^Glyndwr^ November 11th 2010, 9:06 pm

Plus, the option to set ads for Guests only has now been removed from the Admin Control Panel.
    Before it was 3 options...All, Members, Guests. Now it is 2 options..All, Members and Guests.
    LBDR

Language : english

Post by LBDR November 11th 2010, 9:14 pm

We are a dedicated dog rescue forum & the ads we are getting are totally inappropriate:

Advice on buying puppies
    Where to get free dogs
    Where to sell dogs

And so many more!

We are about saving dogs not showing people how to make a quick buck out of them or how to get rid of them when they are bored with them, this is wrong on so many levels.

We struggle enough already financially without now having to find extra money to remove these awful ads.

[Only Topic] Why advertisement ???? - Page 8 Ads10

[Only Topic] Why advertisement ???? - Page 8 Ads110

[Only Topic] Why advertisement ???? - Page 8 Ads210

I am praying that this is an error & that it will soon be rectified..........Please say it is so.

Last edited by LBDR on November 11th 2010, 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TheListener_
    Forumember

Language :

Post by TheListener_ November 11th 2010, 9:14 pm

Even though my other accounts have been banned, I'd like to share what I have to say about this with you guys.

This isn't a bug or a glitch. Bugs and glitches do not get translated to 9 different languages and installed on every single admin panel.

This has been planned by Forumactif, which seems to have modified this option on every branch (Forumotion, Foroactivo, Forumeiros, etc.) but on on any french forums.

What they're trying to do is getting a lot of visits for about 5/6 days and then get LOTS of money. Greedy, isn't it. And after this, to pretend nothing has happened, we'll be given some new updates and features. And we don't even know if that's true, but it'd be a clever way to say 'we have f*cked your forums up, now we'll give you something to make it up'. Not fair at all...

No Forumactif official worker (and there's 10 of them) has given any answers or comments about it, and they have been online (as a matter of fact, they have replied to other topics and left the adverts one closed) and the Twitter and Facebook accounts have been used as well. Why? Simple, they don't really want to say the real reason on why they're doing this. They haven't even told any of their staff members on the support forum what was going on. Shocking.

This will probably be like this until Thursday. Forumactif doesn't work on Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays, and they seem to like doing updates on thurdays only. So we'll have quite a rough weekend :/

I, on one side, have been lucky enough to have gotten lots of credits as donations by my members and used them to remove them; but most people cannot spend so much money to remove a stupid sign. This is supposed to be a free host. I do understand Mr Mario's comment on another topic, 'Forumotion places Google Ads to get money from forums'. That's completely acceptable, I don't blame them if they place adverts for guests, but I do if they do it with members too.

I have a little proposal for staff members, which I've read on the Spanish Support Forum. It's really easy to remove ads using CSS, but your forum can be banned if you do so (I know some sties that have been shut down because of that). Why isn't this temporarily allowed? It's just a workaround, yet admins might not be happy if people do it.

Thanks. Cool
    Shikadi

Post by Shikadi November 11th 2010, 9:23 pm

Someone should start a petition, this is outrageous.
    shintre
    shintre
    Forumember

Post by shintre November 11th 2010, 9:38 pm

Since FM is stating that this is some type of glitch, then it would make sense that there wouldn't be any repercussions for creating a line in the forum's CSS coding to close or cover the add space, right?

Also, in preparation for the future, what other forums are on par with forumotion? Just in case this ends up being a pay for privy thing?
    Raptor@TDC
    Raptor@TDC

Male Posts : 14

Post by Raptor@TDC November 11th 2010, 9:40 pm

This is the ad with the hot pink background that flashes rapidly. Picture this flashing about five times per second. This could initiate a seizure for anyone with Epilepsy.

[Only Topic] Why advertisement ???? - Page 8 Ad10
    disdreamer
    disdreamer
    Forumember

Female Posts : 158

Post by disdreamer November 11th 2010, 9:41 pm

I know this is very frustrating but let's give them time to resolve this issue. Yes it's slowing everything down, flashing banners and inappropriate material is showing up but I feel we are being heard otherwise staff wouldn't be posting here.
    We shouldn't be using vulgar language on here it only gets others more in a frenzy and it's really not called for. Let's think before we speak our minds. There is a way of doing that without generating a violent overtone.

Last edited by disdreamer on November 11th 2010, 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Homemadelife

Post by Homemadelife November 11th 2010, 9:42 pm

I find it interesting that screenshots are showing Google ads

I get this Bullshit - Poker ads, dating ads and Celeb ads - makes me so very angry, I have kids using my forum

[Only Topic] Why advertisement ???? - Page 8 Image410

[Only Topic] Why advertisement ???? - Page 8 Image510

[Only Topic] Why advertisement ???? - Page 8 Image610
    TheListener_
    Forumember

Language :

Post by TheListener_ November 11th 2010, 9:54 pm

Another thing I noticed and read, and I'd like to add.

French and Arabic Forums (not the support ones, I mean in general) have never had the option to disable ads for members. It's always been like this for them: adverts for everybody.

As for the rest of the branches, we were lucky enough to get that. So this might be permanent...
    fredhoggin

Male Posts : 24

Post by fredhoggin November 11th 2010, 10:01 pm

This is disgusting no one gives a toss I now have ads on my Psoriasis forum advertising lamps that can make your psoriasis worse. Obviously no one in charge has psoriasis or you would know how dangerous this is.

I chose Forumotion after reviewing other providers and I decided this would be the best one as I could remove ads for members free of charge. This is no test or a glitch it's a blatant disregard to its users.

I my Moderators and Forum Helpers are proud of the fact that we have built up a helpful forum for people who suffer with a terrible skin disease that can lead to 40% of sufferers getting Depression.

Now it looks like Forumotion have ruined all our hard work and our members are leaving I am in France and have the option until yesterday.

Just give me back what I signed up for.

Bundy
    Bundy

Post by Bundy November 11th 2010, 10:22 pm

Some one asked me which forum host i am moving to but can't remember where that post was or i can't be bothered looking (sorry) anyway there are 2 you can choose from, both have been around for many years and are ad free.
    One is a phpbb3 forum and the other is a SMF forum. Both are very reliable hosts. Smile

http://www.phpbb3now.com/

http://www.smfnew.com/

Edit...i'l probably get banned for posting those sites up, but i don't care, i won't be around here anymore, i thought i'd let others know that there are other free forum providers out there that do offer good quality forums.

Cody!
    Cody!
    Forumember

Male Posts : 38
    Language : Spanish and English

Post by Cody! November 11th 2010, 10:29 pm

Hi everyone...

my name is Center and am a member of various Spanish forums, I come here because it is the same problem and there in the Spanish forum give us no answer.

We are tired of the technicians always go that is a test and let us advertising just like that without notice ...

In the Spanish FDF her manager, has not deigned to post on the subject that exists in that forum, come here and Typlo (which is equivalent to Adminactif) says the same: it is a test .... We are very angry about this situation that once again the technicians have been because they felt like it ....

dint want more money? if they have money they want more? and even at the cost of services, technical and personally forumactif owners are the worst ..

Astrid Landsaat

Language : Netherlands

Post by Astrid Landsaat November 11th 2010, 10:55 pm

Bundy wrote:Some one asked me which forum host i am moving to but can't remember where that post was or i can't be bothered looking (sorry) anyway there are 2 you can choose from, both have been around for many years and are ad free.
    One is a phpbb3 forum and the other is a SMF forum. Both are very reliable hosts. Smile

Edit...i'l probably get banned for posting those sites up, but i don't care, i won't be around here anymore, i thought i'd let others know that there are other free forum providers out there that do offer good quality forums.

Thank you for those links! I was thinking about building a new website and a forum at https://www.yourhosting.nl/ It is going to cost me 42 euro's per year. For that money I will have a domain name, a website and a forum without banners.
    RAFAJulie
    RAFAJulie
    Forumember

Female Posts : 55

Post by RAFAJulie November 11th 2010, 10:57 pm

Please folks, this is going off topic!!!!!!!
    Franchise
    Franchise
    Forumember

Male Posts : 188

Post by Franchise November 11th 2010, 10:58 pm

Bundy wrote:Some one asked me which forum host i am moving to but can't remember where that post was or i can't be bothered looking (sorry) anyway there are 2 you can choose from, both have been around for many years and are ad free.

my question is, can we transfer our forumotion accounts over to http://www.phpbb3now.com?
    Cody!
    Cody!
    Forumember

Male Posts : 38
    Language : Spanish and English

Post by Cody! November 11th 2010, 11:00 pm

sorry but, the administrators and staff of forumotion are sleeping... Thumb down
    mulder_fbi

Post by mulder_fbi November 11th 2010, 11:01 pm

I think if you leave FM, you have to start over from scratch.
    jjaxd
    Forumember

Post by jjaxd November 11th 2010, 11:06 pm

maybe the forumotion admins could lock this topic until they reply.. I am watching it to see what they say and I really dont need to read through all of this off topic stuff

I know we are all frustrated but its a FREE service and lets hope that the guys here will fix it as soon as possible.. I really dont think we need to keep going around in circles complaining about Forumotion
    Master Marc
    Master Marc
    Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3661
    Language : English and Spanish.

Post by Master Marc November 11th 2010, 11:16 pm

jjaxd wrote:maybe the forumotion admins could lock this topic until they reply.. I am watching it to see what they say and I really dont need to read through all of this off topic stuff

I know we are all frustrated but its a FREE service and lets hope that the guys here will fix it as soon as possible.. I really dont think we need to keep going around in circles complaining about Forumotion
    + rep at you.

-----------------------------------------------------

Just wanted everyone to know, Typlo has spoken :

Typlo wrote:Dear user,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused, the ads are here to support our developers and the staff so we can offer you new features.

This is only a test for the moment. Wink

-----------------------------------------------------

Also, this is a free web hosting company, so they can insert as many ads into your forumotion forums if they wish to at any point in time.

But, I'm seeing that they might remove these ads in the next 1-3 weeks, when they've gotten enough money, Very good
    jjaxd
    Forumember

Post by jjaxd November 11th 2010, 11:18 pm

what does + rep at you mean..
    esoterica

Post by esoterica November 11th 2010, 11:19 pm

jjaxd, you can unfollow the topic if you don't want to be informed of every reply, and instead just check back here when suitable for you & skim replies for something from admin.
    I think locking the one thread we have to give feedback about this issue would just add to the frustration many are feeling, and cause further topics to be created.