Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
+4
cris
Luky
Paldrion
Richardr
8 posters

Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po

Richardr
    Forumember

Language : english

Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po Empty Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po

Post by Richardr November 18th 2007, 9:41 am

Currently this module shows the first (oldest) post of a thread. This could eventually become several years old. Can this be changed so that the newest post is shown instead?

NB. This is the "News" module, not the "Recent (Last) Topics" module.

Thanks!
    Richardr
    Forumember

Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po Empty Re: Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po

Post by Richardr November 20th 2007, 10:14 am

Bump.

???
    Paldrion

Language : English

Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po Empty NO NEW NEWS

Post by Paldrion January 23rd 2008, 6:38 pm

I have No New News on my portal either. Even though I keep posting something new everyday in my forum linked to the portal news, It only shows the oldest post.
    Embarassed
    Edited by Luky: Bold tags reduced

Last edited by on January 25th 2008, 2:34 am; edited 2 times in total
    Luky
    Luky
    Energetic

Male Posts : 6106
    Language : Romanian, English

Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po Empty Re: Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po

Post by Luky January 23rd 2008, 9:41 pm

Bold and Color are reserved for moderation, like this, so please keep to the default font

To answer your question, you can change this since there was an update made for this. Go to admin panel=>Forum=>management=>Categories and Forums. Click on this icon Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po Editer next to the topic you want to change this, and look for this option "Sort the topics by" and choose "Topic's post's date, most recent in first"
    Paldrion

Post by Paldrion January 25th 2008, 1:53 am

Luky wrote:Bold and Color are reserved for moderation, like this, so please keep to the default font

To answer your question, you can change this since there was an update made for this. Go to admin panel=>Forum=>management=>Categories and Forums. Click on this icon Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po Editer next to the topic you want to change this, and look for this option "Sort the topics by" and choose "Topic's post's date, most recent in first"

I found it was already configured that way. To make sure the setting was refreshed, I changed it then changed it back. It is still not working.
    Luky
    Luky
    Energetic

Post by Luky January 25th 2008, 9:41 am

Go to admin panel=>Forum=>management=>Categories and Forums. Click on this icon Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po Editer next to the topic you want to change this, and look for this option "Sort the posts of a topic by" and choose "Post's date (most recent in first)"
    Paldrion

Post by Paldrion January 26th 2008, 4:00 pm

Luky wrote:Go to admin panel=>Forum=>management=>Categories and Forums. Click on this icon Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po Editer next to the topic you want to change this, and look for this option "Sort the posts of a topic by" and choose "Post's date (most recent in first)"

I did that before posting here, and it did not work.

I did that the 1st time you said. It did not work.

I did that the the 2nd time you said. It did not work.

Also tried:

Changing to oldest & back to newest. This did not work.

Turning the Portal off and on. This did not work.

Copying the oldest post to a new post and editing the oldest post with the currently desired information. This did not work.

Creating an entirely new forum and placing the new information in a new post then changing the portal configuration to use the new post in the new forum. This did work.

Editing the new post in the new forum configured for the portal. This did not work.

Embarassed

I hope by now you know how the board programming needs to be fixed. It is taking the oldest post at the time of changing the portal setting to a copied post, buffer, or writing it to the portal page when the portal configuration is changed and keeping that permanently in the portal news. It needs to actively take the top or most recent post in the forum designated in the portal configuration, each and every time the end user clicks the portal link or refreshes the portal page.

Very good

Edited by Skittles to remove Multiple colored and bold text tags.
    cris

Post by cris January 27th 2008, 5:34 am

i do try it too... (once)

and definitely it works...

thank you...
    Paldrion

Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po Empty Still not working for me.

Post by Paldrion January 29th 2008, 2:13 am

It is still not working properly for me.
    Skittles
    Skittles
    Hyperactive

Female Posts : 3013
    Language : English, Sarcasm and a bit of Swedish

Post by Skittles January 29th 2008, 5:02 am

Paldrion, You were already told by Luky, not to use Color and Bold, as it is reserved for the Forumotion Staff members to be used for moderation. You are to refrain from using it further!

Consider yourself warned!
    Skittles

Because you are new, here are useful links where you can look for answers :

Arrow Frequently Asked Questions
    Arrow List of the Frequently Asked Questions' topics
    Arrow Tricks & Tips
    Arrow List of the Tricks & Tips topics
    Arrow The Search feature
    Arrow The FAQ of Forumotion.com

Moreover, if you don't find the answer for your question, don't hesitate to open a new topic since this section is made for this!

Skittles
    Richardr
    Forumember

Post by Richardr January 29th 2008, 10:46 am

Luky wrote:Go to admin panel=>Forum=>management=>Categories and Forums. Click on this icon Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po Editer next to the topic you want to change this, and look for this option "Sort the posts of a topic by" and choose "Post's date (most recent in first)"
    I tried this and it did not work. Sad
    Paldrion

Post by Paldrion January 30th 2008, 2:06 am

Richardr wrote:
    I tried this and it did not work. Sad

I agree with you Richardr, this topic seems to already address the problem like hitting a nail on the head.

In answer to scittlepc's idea about posting this in other topics, there is no need to spam multiple threads with the same problem.

This is a really great forum with a lot of flexibility and tools. This is the only problem I have had with it so far.

I wish someone could outline step my step with appropriate bold and color in outline or comparison format, what I can do to make this work.

Hmmm. lets look at the portal page code:

view portal code here

Oh yes! There it is! Just as plain as a 300 lb Pink rabbit in your back yard on Easter. The text of the news page is copied to the portal page. It needs to be an active link instead.

Last edited by on January 30th 2008, 6:00 am; edited 2 times in total
    Richardr
    Forumember

Post by Richardr January 30th 2008, 2:20 am

There is no need to spam multiple threads with the same problem.
    I haven't spammed multiple threads. This just so happens to be MY thread.
    Skittles
    Skittles
    Hyperactive

Female Posts : 3013
    Language : English, Sarcasm and a bit of Swedish

Post by Skittles January 30th 2008, 2:32 am

Paldrion wrote:There is no need to spam multiple threads with the same problem.

Please do not moderate! You are not a member of staff. Not to mention that there is no validity to your claim.
    Paldrion

Post by Paldrion January 30th 2008, 5:18 am

skittlespc wrote:
    Paldrion wrote:There is no need to spam multiple threads with the same problem.

Please do not moderate! You are not a member of staff. Not to mention that there is no validity to your claim.

I wasn't moderating. Just commenting that I don't see a need for me to post this problem in another thread or topic. That would usually be considered spamming, which I do not want to do.

I'm just trying to help with a solution for the problem that myself and other forum users have posted as having in this thread.

The fact that part of my portal page code has the following entry:

<br />
    All participants will be...(story continues)...
    <br />

shows that the contents of the oldest or top entry of the topic chosen when the news topic is changed in the forum configurator is captured and copied as static text in the portal page.

The portal code should be using an include similar to something like this:

<!--#include file="variablepost" -->

where "variablepost" is generated by some php code similar to the following:

public function executeRecent()
    {
    $this->question_pager = QuestionPeer::getRecentPager($this->getRequestParameter('variablepost', 1));
    }

Now I would love to fix the problem for you, dear heart. What I charge our regular customers is $125.00 US dollars per hour, and they have to buy this in blocks of 20 hours at a time in advance. If I had authorized access to your php code, I would just go ahead and fix it. Furthermore, I thought it would be a good idea to post it here so that all your forum users could benefit from the fix.

There is one work around I have found so far:

1. Just post the new news in the same single post in a single topic.
    2. Copy old news to a different topic section.
    3. Keep this topic locked from others & update as needed.
    4. Go to Administration panel.
    5. Click on Forum Tab.
    6. Click on Management.
    7. Find the topic for the new news in your portal.
    8. Click on the resync symbol for that topic.
    9. The edited text will now appear in the portal.

Now I just hated to give out an 8 step work around where there should be none, but I thought by now someone in support would have contacted the programming department and notified them that a piece of code needs to be fixed.

Embarassed
    Caihlem
    Caihlem
    Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
    Language : English, French & Female

Post by Caihlem January 30th 2008, 5:48 pm

Paldrion wrote:I wasn't moderating. Just commenting that I don't see a need for me to post this problem in another thread or topic. That would usually be considered spamming, which I do not want to do

Leave the thoughts of how to run the forum to us Wink

Who're are you trying to charge? Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po Redface

I'm offering you a serious warning, next time you come even close to the line it's a simple and permanent ban

Reminder of IMPORTANT facts:
    > Moderating is for staff
    > This is a FREE support forum

Edit: Updated to a ban, good riddance Hello
    KnockKnot

Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po Empty It doesn't work for me either...

Post by KnockKnot January 31st 2008, 2:34 pm

The refresh for new posts being included on the portal news does not work for me either.

The work around that Paldrion listed does work, however, it is a lenghty work around and it would be nice if it worked as it should since I would like to have several forum members be able to post new news and have to show up on the portal.

Have you guys made any progress on this?

confused
    BrightLord

Portal "news" module: Can it display the latest po Empty I am so thankful for this post...

Post by BrightLord February 1st 2008, 6:44 pm

First of all, I am thankful that Richardr posted it. I was trying so many things just to figure out how this should be done. From Luky's post, I could figure out how it is suppossed to work. It is not working for me either. I am especially thankful for Paldrion's efforts on this. Now I have a workaround, and I know why it is not working as intended. Thank you so much Richardr, Luky, and Paldrion!

Very Happy
    Luky
    Luky
    Energetic

Post by Luky February 1st 2008, 8:53 pm

You're welcome