Forumotion Installation Packages Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
+2
MarioBro
Cman
6 posters

Forumotion Installation Packages

Poll

Should Forumotion Host Installation Packages?

[ 11 ]
    Forumotion Installation Packages Bar_left73%Forumotion Installation Packages Bar_right [73%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Forumotion Installation Packages Bar_left27%Forumotion Installation Packages Bar_right [27%] 

Total Votes: 15
    Poll closed
    Cman
    Cman
    Forumember

Male Posts : 681
    Language : English

Forumotion Installation Packages Empty Forumotion Installation Packages

Post by Cman April 22nd 2011, 1:08 am

I think it would be sic if we could download the package (.zip) for the boards from the Forumotion website, like what phpBB does. I love Forumotion because unlike any other board, there are custom pages, blogs, an image gallery, a chat room, etc. So basically the users could download the compressed package could upload it into their website's file directory,and have their own Forumotion board.

This would be great for users because they can have the board on their own website. This is also good because they can customize files (like robots.txt) in which Forumotion hosted boards do not allow you to edit.

This would be great for Forumotion because if people have a Forumotion board on their own website, Forumotion is likely to get more customers. This is also good because it can save Forumotion server space.

If there are users not as advanced with websites, they can have theirs hosted on Forumotion. If they are advanced users, they can upload it to their own website. More people would use Forumotion boards if there was an installation package. The only reason I don't Forumotion that much anymore is because I can't have it uploaded into my website.
    MarioBro
    Forumember

Male Posts : 144

Forumotion Installation Packages Empty Re: Forumotion Installation Packages

Post by MarioBro April 22nd 2011, 3:15 am

Voted Yes:)
    hicheel
    hicheel
    Forumember

Male Posts : 118
    Language : mongolian

Post by hicheel April 22nd 2011, 3:49 am

good idea. but...
    Cman
    Cman
    Forumember

Post by Cman April 22nd 2011, 4:57 am

hicheel wrote:good idea. but...

but what?
    Cman
    Cman
    Forumember

Post by Cman April 24th 2011, 9:44 pm

bump
    Cman
    Cman
    Forumember

Post by Cman April 26th 2011, 11:22 pm

bump....again

I'm really up for this idea. I want Forumotion soooooo bad on my web hosting account.
    Cman
    Cman
    Forumember

Post by Cman April 30th 2011, 12:04 am

bump....

I hope I'm not bothering anyone or breaking any rules with my continuing bumps. I'm just going to keep bumping them until this idea is approved or rejected, or whatever is supposed to happen.
    Killer2270
    Forumember

Post by Killer2270 April 30th 2011, 2:56 am

I'm a bit confused on what this is. Adding forums to websites?

There is a guide to turn your forum into a website.
    Cman
    Cman
    Forumember

Post by Cman April 30th 2011, 5:17 am

Killer2270 wrote:I'm a bit confused on what this is. Adding forums to websites?

There is a guide to turn your forum into a website.

I'm not sure if you have ever designed a website in which you could manually upload and install a board...

My idea is to allow users who do not want their board hosted on Forumotion servers to basically download a compressed folder which has all of the files for the board. Then, the user can upload that compressed folder into their server or web hosting account, extract it, then install it. So the result is having a Forumotion board on your own server.

Hopefully this cleared it up for you, and I'm sorry for any confusion. Smile
    Killer2270
    Forumember

Post by Killer2270 April 30th 2011, 5:42 am

I voted no. I think it would drive away customers instead of attract.
    Caihlem
    Caihlem
    Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
    Language : English, French & Female

Post by Caihlem April 30th 2011, 2:18 pm

Concerning bump rules: it's 1 bump per 24 hour period, so technically you're good

Concerning the vote: I'm voting No and probably killing the suspense by saying the suggestion has 99% chance of being rejected
    Reasons to both: ForuMotion doesn't want to share their codes. So providing downloadable content.... not happening. Added to that it'd destroy ForuMotion as it is today. You can already download phpBB packages here and there. That isn't ForuMotion. ForuMotion is a free service where even beginners can easily create a free forum that will receive updates regularly and have access to a free support forum should they have questions. Downloadable content requires knowledge in web and coding. It requires access to servers. And it's not likely free, or at least not as easily free. Updates would be manual, complicated and assured personally, not by a team of dedicated technicians. Support would be likewise complicated because who'se to know if you didn't do something wrong in the base line codes? Basically, all the opposite of what ForuMotion is today.
    Cman
    Cman
    Forumember

Post by Cman April 30th 2011, 9:09 pm

Caihlem wrote:Concerning bump rules: it's 1 bump per 24 hour period, so technically you're good

Concerning the vote: I'm voting No and probably killing the suspense by saying the suggestion has 99% chance of being rejected
    Reasons to both: ForuMotion doesn't want to share their codes. So providing downloadable content.... not happening. Added to that it'd destroy ForuMotion as it is today. You can already download phpBB packages here and there. That isn't ForuMotion. ForuMotion is a free service where even beginners can easily create a free forum that will receive updates regularly and have access to a free support forum should they have questions. Downloadable content requires knowledge in web and coding. It requires access to servers. And it's not likely free, or at least not as easily free. Updates would be manual, complicated and assured personally, not by a team of dedicated technicians. Support would be likewise complicated because who'se to know if you didn't do something wrong in the base line codes? Basically, all the opposite of what ForuMotion is today.

Good point. Although I would like to have ForuMotion (<-- I hope I'm spelling that right) on my server, I have to agree with you.
    Jophy
    Jophy
    ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Post by Jophy February 23rd 2014, 9:31 am

Forumotion Installation Packages Permis10Suggestion Clean up (23/2/2014)

-> Old suggestions(Please feel to create a new thread for the garbaged old suggestions)
    -> Implemented suggestions
    -> Suggestions which are currently suggested (Please use the SEARCH function)
    -> Suggestions which are already possible
    -> Unclear Suggestions

=> Please read the guidelines for the suggestion section: https://help.forumotion.com/t93899-suggestions-for-your-forums-how-to
    => Please take a look on the frequently suggested features for your forums:
    https://help.forumotion.com/t79095-frequently-requested-suggestions-for-your-forums

Locked & Garbaged