The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much of this skin can be customized?

4 posters

Go down

How much of this skin can be customized? Empty How much of this skin can be customized?

Post by Bpoetic February 7th 2008, 3:27 am

Can the dividers between the topics be changed out in this skin?

Green Baby English

Thank you . . . Bpoetic
Bpoetic
Bpoetic
Forumember

Female Posts : 594
Language : English

http://www.bpoetry.net/

Back to top Go down

How much of this skin can be customized? Empty Re: How much of this skin can be customized?

Post by Buster February 7th 2008, 3:55 am

Hello Bpoetic!

Yes it can be, its simple CSS (If you do not know do this, please state so in a new post.)

You can also change the image or make it a color.
Buster
Buster
Forumember

Male Posts : 547

Back to top Go down

How much of this skin can be customized? Empty Re: How much of this skin can be customized?

Post by vikingdriver February 7th 2008, 3:56 am

If your familiar with CSS then pretty much most of the skin can be altered. I use that very skin on my families website and have altered some of the skin design via the CSS.

Admin Panel ==> Styles ==> Pictures and Colors ==> Colors ==> CSS Stylesheet

You can also choose to up load something different by using the same procedure except instead of entering into the CSS Stylesheet you can choose to change the image by going this route:

Admin Panel ==> Styles ==> Pictures and Colors ==> List of the pictures and then change the background images for those.

I hope this answered your question.
vikingdriver
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by Bpoetic February 7th 2008, 3:37 pm

Thank you Buster and vikingdriver! I must admit, I know nothing of CSS Stylesheet - but Vikingdriver . . . I just took a look where you've suggested.

Looks like a lot can be done.

Thanks!

Bpoetic
Bpoetic
Bpoetic
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by vikingdriver February 8th 2008, 12:07 am

Not a problem and glad to be able to help out.. Just to give you a bit more of the picture here (and it makes it easier to understand what your doing), The list of pictures and the CSS Style Sheet are quite literally the same thing. The list of pictures just makes for the "simple mode."
vikingdriver
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Bpoetic February 8th 2008, 5:00 am

Thank you, Vikingdriver . . .

I looked in the Css sheet and became a bit frightened as to the damage I could render with just a couple strokes of my curser!

Thanks . . . Bpoetrc
Bpoetic
Bpoetic
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex February 8th 2008, 9:21 am

you would be best to make a test forum b poetic, and edit it on there, thats what i do Wink
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 2804
Language : scotch och aye!

http://asylum.forumotion.co.uk/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Bpoetic February 8th 2008, 1:19 pm

Thanks zinex!

Do you mean a test forum using a *Temporary theme*?

What will happen if I push: *Apply This Theme to the Forum* ?

How much of this skin can be customized? Testredsw3.th

Will my forum skin (as it is now) be lost?

Also, where should I post asking for a brief rundown of the different CSS Style sheet attributes?

Thanks, Bpoetic
Bpoetic
Bpoetic
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by vikingdriver February 9th 2008, 12:45 am

Set up a whole different forum ie; bpoetics-test-forum.forumotion.com give yourself a few categories and what-nots just to give it some body and then play, play, play.

Now to give you some help here just to get you started;

This is the first few lines of the CSS Sheet:

Code:
body {
background-color: #859875;
background-image: url("http://2img.net/i/fa/darkages/background.jpg");
background-attachment: scroll;

and this is what you see on your colors panel;

Text Color
color selector

Link Color
color selector

Visited Link Color
color selector

Active Link Color
color selector

Hover Link Color
color selector

Header font color
color selector

How much of this skin can be customized? Question2 Title Font Face

How much of this skin can be customized? Question2 Main Font Face

How much of this skin can be customized? Question2 Code Font Face

Main Font Size

Links Font Size

Posts and Category Titles Font Size

Quote Font Color
color selector

Administrator Font Color
color selector

Moderator Font Color
color selector

Background Colors
is actually the first line of your CSS

Forum width (number or %)

Background Color
color selector

Notice the bold and red text for Back Ground colors? That is the first line of your CSS the next line is your sites banner/logo url? See how the two pages sorta work together? directly underneath back ground colors is the forum width; on your CSS sheet it looks like this:
Code:
.bodylinewidth {
width:95%}
.forumline{
 background-color: #363636;
 border: 2px #444444 solid;

True, its not something to mess around with but who says you can't play? The biggest thing to remember is...copy the original code and paste it to a PM to yourself so if you mess up.... Whoop there it is!! Yes, I do like learning the hard way. I have actually created a forum in my Staff Room for all of the original CSS Sheets and What-nots. I have them set up as Topics for each skin I use.

It does look difficult and it may seem so at first but once you get the hang of what is what between the colors sheet and the CSS sheet its like Boo yeah simple and it really doesn't take that long to learn. It took me just a few days to overcome uncertainty and just a few more to gain confidence, so less than a week or so?

If you add an Arcade to your site thats where the real fun is... each of my Arcades match my sites and its all done via the CSS Sheets.

link[url=godrics-hallows.forumotion.com]godrics-hallows.forumotion.com[/url] just follow the NavBar arcade
vikingdriver
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Bpoetic February 9th 2008, 1:42 am

WOW! Thanks, vikingdriver . . .

So you recommend just starting a new forum for practice - that's just what I'll do. I appreciate ALL the great info and time you've spent here. You're a pretty good teacher:-)

Again, thank you

Bpoetic
Bpoetic
Bpoetic
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by vikingdriver February 9th 2008, 11:59 pm

Again, your more than welcome. Getting in behind the scenes can be quite scary and I too know this from experience but like I said above, always... always copy the original code and paste it somewhere safe so if you mess up you can clear the sheet and paste the original code back in place.

Now on your test site if you do your work on the colors page first and then look for your changes on the CSS Sheet you will quickly learn what goes where and just how things are affected by your changes.
vikingdriver
Forumember

Back to top Go down