The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Private Message Pop-Up Notification Not Working

4 posters

Go down

New Private Message Pop-Up Notification Not Working Empty New Private Message Pop-Up Notification Not Working

Post by Nyghtshayde April 8th 2008, 8:43 am

I've had at least two or three of my forum members bring to my attention that our 'New PM pop-up window' isn't working. I've been experiencing this issue myself since I've been receiving quite a few and the only way I know I have them is by viewing my e-mail. So can I fix this or will I need some sort of "Divine Intervention" if you will from the Mods/Admins from here?

P.S. I didn't know where exactly to post this so I hope this was okay.
Nyghtshayde
Nyghtshayde
Forumember

Female Posts : 26
Language : English & some Japanese

http://groveofancients.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

New Private Message Pop-Up Notification Not Working Empty Re: New Private Message Pop-Up Notification Not Working

Post by Adiex April 8th 2008, 9:01 am

hello,

did you forum member activate the pop up new PM option? it can be change here :
Code:
profile > preference > Pop up window on new Private Message : > yes
Adiex
Adiex
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1014
Language : er?

Back to top Go down

New Private Message Pop-Up Notification Not Working Empty Re: New Private Message Pop-Up Notification Not Working

Post by Nyghtshayde April 8th 2008, 9:54 am

Yes; I even have the option set in my profile, but nothing has happened since it's been set. I also took the liberty of checking the particular users, who are having the issues, profiles to make sure that it was set so that, that option wasn't the real issue.
Nyghtshayde
Nyghtshayde
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Adiex April 8th 2008, 9:58 am

weird,
btw, just want to let you know there is another PM option that you should enabled it to show pop up. try check it up if its already enabled or not.

profile > preference > Notify on new Private Message : > yes

Last edited by Adiex on April 8th 2008, 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : poor grammar, wad a freak :()
Adiex
Adiex
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by zakir321 April 8th 2008, 8:42 pm

Many browsers block popups by default, so be sure the browser settings allow popups for your site. For firefox, this can be found in "Extras / Settings / Content / Popups / exceptions". Add your board adress in that tab and save.
zakir321

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyghtshayde April 8th 2008, 9:27 pm

Adiex wrote:weird,
btw, just want to let you know there is another PM option that you should enabled it to show pop up. try check it up if its already enabled or not.

profile > preference > Notify on new Private Message : > yes

That's what I checked. It was all set...

Sunny_D wrote:Many browsers block popups by default, so be sure the browser settings allow popups for your site. For firefox, this can be found in "Extras / Settings / Content / Popups / exceptions". Add your board adress in that tab and save.

Typically Firefox always gives you a heads up or notification that a pop-up is attempting to get through, but I'll try your suggestion Sunny and see if it works. Thank you.
Nyghtshayde
Nyghtshayde
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyghtshayde April 8th 2008, 9:39 pm

"Extras / Settings / Content / Popups / exceptions" I couldn't find these options in my Firefox browser. I did find that if I click "Tools / Adblock plus" I find generally what I am looking for. Unfortunately I'm not certain how I can get a link to be moved under the exceptions category. Confused
Nyghtshayde
Nyghtshayde
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by zakir321 April 8th 2008, 9:55 pm

Erm... well couldn't edit a screenshot now, I realized Photoshop somehow doesn't work anymore, but look at the one below, you probably know what i meant - it's the exceptions button at the very top. Can't tell about Adblock, as I haven't this plugin installed...

New Private Message Pop-Up Notification Not Working Ff2.0_content
zakir321

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyghtshayde April 9th 2008, 8:19 am

I figured it out, but it's nice to know about that sort of "back-up" method if you will. I did add the forum to the exceptions list for pop-up block, however it still doesn't work. I had my members send me test PMs and no pop-up message came up to tell me "You have 2 new messages". I don't know what to do...guess I'll have to deal? Confused
Nyghtshayde
Nyghtshayde
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Adiex April 9th 2008, 11:39 am

hi, seem you problem weird there. for i got this problem for a while yesterday but it is back to normal now. so, i thought you problem were fixed already Confused
Adiex
Adiex
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Skittles April 9th 2008, 12:37 pm

Do you have toolbars such as google? As they too can have popup blockers.

Make sure for the firefox that you have the url for the index page listed. I am not sure it will work if you just typing in the url as one would type in to find you the first time. I had that problem myself. I just typed in the www.myforumname.com and it still didn't allow the popups. I had to actually click the home, or index page, and then copy and paste the link shown at the top of the browser, and add that to the firefox before it would work.
Skittles
Skittles
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 3013
Language : English, Sarcasm and a bit of Swedish

http://moonlightcafe.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyghtshayde April 10th 2008, 7:07 am

skittlespc wrote:Do you have toolbars such as google? As they too can have popup blockers.

Make sure for the firefox that you have the url for the index page listed. I am not sure it will work if you just typing in the url as one would type in to find you the first time. I had that problem myself. I just typed in the www.myforumname.com and it still didn't allow the popups. I had to actually click the home, or index page, and then copy and paste the link shown at the top of the browser, and add that to the firefox before it would work.

No google toolbars or anything like that. I'll try the index link that shows up after I log in.
Nyghtshayde
Nyghtshayde
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyghtshayde April 10th 2008, 10:40 pm

No such luck. If that wasn't bad now my forum theme is acting funny now. Yikes. Except I already know what steps I'll most likely take to try and fix that.
Nyghtshayde
Nyghtshayde
Forumember

Back to top Go down