The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favicon problems and a CSS question

2 posters

Go down

Favicon problems and a CSS question Empty Favicon problems and a CSS question

Post by Fenrir Mushaka April 13th 2008, 11:18 am

Ok... so I've been trying to put up a favicon for my forum... I read the tutorial and other related threads here on this site.... but it just doesn't work.

First I tried uploading it to photobucket and servimg.... but, of course, that did not work... so I set out to find a more generic file hosting service... the first I tried was MediaFire... but then found out it doesn't support hotlinking. However... whe I used the Mediafire address for my icon, the icon of my forum changed to the mediafire icon. Then I found BOXSTr... this one should support hotlinking... but I didn't manage to get it working. I'm now trying to get an account on FileDen... the one that is recomended on theese forums, but for some reason I don't receive a registration email.

One question would be: Are ther any requierments for the path of the favicon or it's filename?(I have been using favicon.ico)

I also have a bit of problem with the code suggested here:

Code:

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="http://of_the_favicon.ico" />
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="http://of_the_favicon" />

If the image is .ico... do you need to declare it a png in the second line?
Are you supposed to not put ".ico" in the URL on the second line?
Some people seem to use just the "shortcut icon" line confused
Wikipedia says just the "icon" line should be enough confused
Also on wikipedia, the two lines have the same image type declared... is that how it should be or is the "/png" thing something specific to forumotion or phpBB or whatever?
would "vnd.microsoft.icon" work instead of "x-icon"?

Next: Where to put it?
the Meta Tags field is recomended, but others seem to prefer the Site description field in General>configuration>configuration.
One thing I noted that the site description field removes double brackets so I'd have to use singles.
Are ther any other special conditions for either of the fields?

And finaly:
Is there a list of the elements, classes and id's used by forumotion forums?(for CSS editing purposes)

tongue thank you for at least reading all this

[edit]I now have a Fileden account.... using their link... my forums favicon is now the fileden logo.... can it be that my browser is stupid and only looks in the root of a domain confused
[later edit]yep... seems to be an issue with my browser(maxthon)... suposedly it will get fixed
I'd like an answer on the CSS questiou though...

Last edited by Fenrir Mushaka on April 13th 2008, 7:24 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : typos, extra info)
Fenrir Mushaka

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Favicon problems and a CSS question Empty Re: Favicon problems and a CSS question

Post by Fenrir Mushaka April 13th 2008, 7:53 pm

Can someone please check my forum and tell me if the favicon displayed is this?

[edit]nevermind... I pulled out an IE7 for testing... the icon shows up

[later edit] to be noted that http://boxstr.com works as a host for favicons
Fenrir Mushaka

Back to top Go down

Favicon problems and a CSS question Empty Re: Favicon problems and a CSS question

Post by zakir321 April 13th 2008, 9:05 pm

There is unfortunately no list of the CSS elements - I'd love to have one myself! Mr. Green

all you can do is to view the basic CSS in "Styles / Colors / CSS Stylesheet".
zakir321

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenrir Mushaka April 13th 2008, 9:36 pm

thanks....already got my hands on that.... parsing it will take some time:P

another note: the above-mentioned boxstr.com actualy forbids the use of their site for hosting graphic elements for webpages....

nowever I got to using a ;png which I can host any image hosting site Razz
Fenrir Mushaka

Back to top Go down

Post by zakir321 April 13th 2008, 10:09 pm

To my knowledge, some browsers don't support .png as Favicon. I'm using http://pmsc.free.fr/gb/ for my favicon (.ico).

Here is also the link to an .ico converter: http://www.favicon-generator.de/?lang=en-US
zakir321

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenrir Mushaka April 13th 2008, 11:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions... thing is I put toghether this forum mostly for my own learning purposes... I don't have any users to watch out for.
From what I understand 'modern' browsers should handle .png favicons.
Converting to 'ico would not be a problem.....actualy I started with a .ico.... but for now, I prefer to keep all the files in one place rather than open accounts all over the web.

But I have another question Very Happy
Do themes change the html code of the forums or just the style?
Fenrir Mushaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenrir Mushaka April 15th 2008, 11:30 am

The weirdest thing.... at the moment, my favicon of choice apears on my administration panel page.... while the favicon on my forum is the favicon of the site that hosts my favicon(photobucket)
Fenrir Mushaka

Back to top Go down

Post by zakir321 April 15th 2008, 5:36 pm

What code are you using for the favicon? If you just use <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="http://IMAGE URL.ico" /> , it should work properly. This has to be placed in the "other meta tags" field in "General / Homepage / Config".
zakir321

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenrir Mushaka April 15th 2008, 9:02 pm

well...now it works good everywhere but on the main page, where I still see the photobucket logo Razz
It'll have to do
Fenrir Mushaka

Back to top Go down

Post by zakir321 April 16th 2008, 2:29 pm

Probably it's a cache problem, so try to delete it. Smile
zakir321

Back to top Go down