The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removal of Gallery photo's from Back-up folder

5 posters

Go down

Removal of Gallery photo's from Back-up folder Empty Removal of Gallery photo's from Back-up folder

Post by g7acu April 16th 2008, 6:42 pm

Hi guy's.
I've searched this, but can't find anything so far ...

I've deleted a couple of photographs off the Gallery module and got a message stating that I need to remove them fully from the Back-up folder if I definately don't need them. Made sense to me, until I tried to find an option to remove the photo's from the Gallery's Back-up folder; I can't seem to do this and can't find any means of deleting from Back-up. The only option is to restore the images, but as mentioned the prompt back indicated I should be able to remove them from the Back-up folder.

Any suggestion?
g7acu
g7acu
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Removal of Gallery photo's from Back-up folder Empty Re: Removal of Gallery photo's from Back-up folder

Post by travis_cooper April 16th 2008, 8:25 pm

Hmm... I guess I never tried it before. I can't see a way to delete them either. I wonder if it is that they just get deleted at a certain time period of being in there. I have lots of pictures in my backup folder, but the good news is that they don't count towards your gallery space. Is there a specific reason you need to delete them permanently? I remember playing with this a little when I first started my gallery, but once I noticed that when I deleted a picture, and it went into the backup folder, that it didn't go against my space I didn't worry about it anymore.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Forumember

Male Posts : 698

http://photochallenge.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Removal of Gallery photo's from Back-up folder Empty Re: Removal of Gallery photo's from Back-up folder

Post by adrenalin April 16th 2008, 8:31 pm

To delete these pictures you have to go to servimg and there log on with the account that ist automatically created when you build a forum.
The Username ist the email-account you created your forum with and the Password is the PW you used to create your forum.

---> There you can delete those pictures, I think.....

greetz,
alex

The Forum of the Forums was founded February 17th 2005, 1:41 am, and today it`s exactely 7010 days old. Until now 110643 users wrote 1088093 posts at 115 single forums. You (Guest) wrote 0 posts since you registered ().

Last edited by adrenalin on April 16th 2008, 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
adrenalin
Forumember

Male Posts : 148
Language : German, French, English

http://hilfe.forumieren.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by travis_cooper April 16th 2008, 8:35 pm

adrenalin wrote:To delete these pictures you have to go to servimg and there log on with the account that ist automatically created when you build a forum.
The Username ist the email-account you created your forum with and the Password is the PW you used to create your forum.
---> There you can delete these pictures

greetz,
alex

The Forum of the Forums was founded February 17th 2005, 1:41 am, and today it`s exactely 7010 days old. Until now 110643 users wrote 1088093 posts at 115 single forums. You (Guest) wrote 0 posts since you registered ().

Are you sure? I logged into my servimg account and I can't see any of the pictures that are in my gallery. I can only see the pictures I have specifically uploaded to servimg, but nothing that has been uploaded through the gallery by me or my members.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by adrenalin April 16th 2008, 8:39 pm

Hello Smile

We had this problem in our support some time ago and in that case it worked this way. I never did it myself but I hope it will work for him Smile

If not I will be very ashamed and also very silent the rest of the day lol Removal of Gallery photo's from Back-up folder G030

greetz,
alex

adrenalin
Forumember

Male Posts : 148
Language : German, French, English

http://hilfe.forumieren.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by g7acu April 16th 2008, 9:49 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sorry adrenalin, I thought too they were hosted by servimg, but they aren't as I've just checked the picture properties for the url. I wanted to remove them partly for good house-keeping (I don't like un-necessary stuff hanging about) and I did think they'd effect my Gallery storage, but Travis assures me this isn't the case; thank you T_C.
As the Gallery prompted me to remove the pictures from the Back-Up folder, I obviously assumed this was possible, but having trawled all through the admin panel, I don't think it is.
I did come across a post that suggested the Back-up folder automatically emptied after 30 days, but I think the user was possible confused with the servimg trash file - can someone from here clarify?

Thanks again guys.
g7acu
g7acu
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by travis_cooper April 16th 2008, 9:58 pm

I just confirmed that it doesn't count towards your gallery space again. I added a picture that bumped my gallery usage up 1%, then I deleted it, so it went into the backup folder, and the gallery usage went back down 1%. As far as when it gets deleted, I don't know how often, if ever that happens. I have a picture there from when I first started my forum back on January 29th. So it definitely isn't every 30 days. I think this is probably something that needs to be fixed, especially since the message clearly tells you to remove your images, but it doesn't seem that there is a way to do this.

Moving for technicians to look at.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by g7acu April 16th 2008, 10:06 pm

Thanks T_C, it is confusing to suggest the images can be removed, when in fact the only option is to restore them. It might sound trivial, but for house-keeping purposes I think it should be possible to completely delete images, I don't see any point behind them being kept (although perhaps auto-deletion after a period of time is ok, in case users accidentally delete anything).
Thanks too for checking the Gallery space issue. As mentioned, the other user must be confused with servimg, as I know they move deleted images to a temporary trash can for a short while.
Best wishes.
g7acu
g7acu
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Earthling April 20th 2008, 11:01 am

Now I have discovered the same problem, lol

How are the technicians going?

It also appears that when I upload the pictures they are stored in the forum account, not the servimg one. How can I change this?
Earthling

Language : English, learning Mandarin (Chinese)

http://unyasa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow April 28th 2008, 3:54 pm

Hello,

this photos never get and cannot be deleted entirely from your forum, they remain in the garbage.

But don't worry, they don't take any place in your storage Wink
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Post by g7acu April 28th 2008, 6:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback Typlo and confirmation of deleted images not adding to storage used.
Please close the thread - many thanks.
g7acu
g7acu
Forumember

Back to top Go down