The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

forum automatically activates some accounts but not others?

2 posters

Go down

forum automatically activates some accounts but not others? Empty forum automatically activates some accounts but not others?

Post by Minnie Moo December 10th 2006, 2:54 am

Hi there,
I have my forum configuration settings set to 'Automatically activate accounts".
However it seems to pick and choose which accounts to automatically activate.The rest have to be done manually.
Potential members have registered and then lost interest because they've had to wait to be activated, and I've not known they've even registered.
Is this a bug?

Thanks for any help with this Smile
Minnie Moo
Minnie Moo
Forumember

Female Posts : 70
Language : English

http://www.slimmingworldsupport.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

forum automatically activates some accounts but not others? Empty Re: forum automatically activates some accounts but not others?

Post by Cornelia December 10th 2006, 9:17 am

Hello.

The "Automatically activate accounts" is actually the activation by the users. When a member registers, he has to activate his account by clicking on a link in an email he must receive.

However, these emails tend to get in the Spam mail folder for Hotmail users, and not everyone look in their spams... And AOL addresses must be avoided, they block these emails.

You can activate them yourselves by going in Admin Panel > Users > Inactive users > you select the inactive members > you activate.

But be careful when you activate, because if the address is weird (@web.de, @gawab.com, @yandex.ru, etc.), they may be bots, if these members registered before December 6 (see the sticky topic about spambots).
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 4763
Language : I'M NOT A TECHIE OR A MOD, SO QUIT SENDING ME PMS FOR TECHIE STUFF OR LOST PASSWORDS !!!

http://ishimaru-design.servhome.org

Back to top Go down

forum automatically activates some accounts but not others? Empty Re: forum automatically activates some accounts but not others?

Post by Minnie Moo December 10th 2006, 12:47 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Katt! Very Happy
I had no idea that automatic Activation was to enable Members to click on a link via email.
Thanks for responding so quickly, and I'll remember to keep an eye out for weird email addresses.
I actually had a quite a few bots register before the Technical team sorted it out, but I myself suspected them anyway as they all had the tell tale Birthdate "28th march 1983"

Kind regards

Janey
Minnie Moo
Minnie Moo
Forumember

Female Posts : 70
Language : English

http://www.slimmingworldsupport.editboard.com

Back to top Go down