Limited access on who can PM user Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
4 posters

Limited access on who can PM user

Poll

Do you agree or disagree ?

[ 1 ]
    Limited access on who can PM user Bar_left33%Limited access on who can PM user Bar_right [33%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Limited access on who can PM user Bar_left67%Limited access on who can PM user Bar_right [67%] 

Total Votes: 3

Limited access on who can PM user Empty Limited access on who can PM user

Post by Guest August 3rd 2023, 10:36 pm

Greetings.

I just realized there is flaw in forumotion PM system. Forumotion user on this forum contacted me via PM but when i tried to reply it says he chose option not to recieve any PM. Well, if somebody contacs me via PM, it is obvious i should reply? But, somehow, I can't do that.

So, my suggestion is to allow answering to users who contact me even they have restricted access on who can write to them because, otherwise, I can't talk to them. Shocked
    jucarese
    jucarese
    Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2456
    Language : spanish

Limited access on who can PM user Empty Re: Limited access on who can PM user

Post by jucarese August 4th 2023, 10:52 am

Are you sure it was a private message? Or did it come from your forum's contact form? You can't answer from there if you don't leave an email to do so.
    In any case, it is not a mistake, receiving messages or not, it is each one's choice, and if you do not want them to return the message, or by mistake they have marked not to receive them, you can always look at their mail, and answer them through him and tell him that you have not been able to PM because they are closed.

Post by Guest August 4th 2023, 12:14 pm

jucarese wrote:Are you sure it was a private message? Or did it come from your forum's contact form? You can't answer from there if you don't leave an email to do so.
    In any case, it is not a mistake, receiving messages or not, it is each one's choice, and if you do not want them to return the message, or by mistake they have marked not to receive them, you can always look at their mail, and answer them through him and tell him that you have not been able to PM because they are closed.

Let me clerify this a bit more. XenForo forums have this awesome option. If a user decided not to recieve PM, nobody can contact him, that's good. Same as here. However, if that user decided to contact somebody else to chat, he will be able to continue the chat because that user now can answer to him.
    But, when it comes to Forumotion, a user started PM with me and yet I can't reply. How can I communicate with him like this?

Basically, like this, he has to enable option to recieve PM so that he can chat with me and when we are done, he has to disable it once more. Why so complicated? Why not just enable answering to that user if he contacted me first.
    jucarese
    jucarese
    Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2456
    Language : spanish

Post by jucarese August 4th 2023, 1:19 pm

It will depend on what the GDPR says about it, the pm is how the mail has its privacy defined by law.

Post by Guest August 4th 2023, 1:38 pm

jucarese wrote:It will depend on what the GDPR says about it, the pm is how the mail has its privacy defined by law.

So, you are telling me that advanced forum platform like XenForo didn't consider such thing and they are breaking the law by making system work like that? Very Happy
    Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 19147
    Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

Post by Ape August 4th 2023, 7:52 pm

If you are the founder / owner of the forum then you can reply to the member even if they say they don't want PM's

Not sure why it will not let you reply but if you start a new PM then type the username in the box then type it should work as i have just tested this my self.

Limited access on who can PM user Captu649

Limited access on who can PM user Left1212Limited access on who can PM user Center11Limited access on who can PM user Right112
    Limited access on who can PM user Ape_b110
    Limited access on who can PM user Ape1010
    chattigre
    chattigre
    Forumember

Male Posts : 56
    Language : French (10/10), English (5/10)

Post by chattigre August 4th 2023, 7:53 pm

Hello,

I don't think PMs are influenced by GPDR because they are internal communications which do not use user's personal information.
    However it's how the system works, if an user closes his PMs, PMs are closed to everyone.

Imagine I send you a PM and, 6 months or one year later I have closed my PMs since I left the forum, you will be able to send me a PM anytime about anything (no guarantee it's about the same question that 6 months ago) just because I sent you a PM one ?!

However as an administrator or moderator of the forum you will always be able to send a PM to all users of the forum, no matter if they accept PMs from members or not.
    Regards

TonnyKamper likes this post

Post by Guest August 4th 2023, 7:54 pm

Ape wrote:If you are the founder / owner of the forum then you can reply to the member even if they say they don't want PM's

Not sure why it will not let you reply but if you start a new PM then type the username in the box then type it should work as i have just tested this my self.

I speak of regular members, not owner.

Post by Guest August 4th 2023, 7:56 pm

chattigre wrote:Hello,

I don't think PMs are influenced by GPDR because they are internal communications which do not use user's personal information.
    However it's how the system works, if an user closes his PMs, PMs are closed to everyone.

Imagine I send you a PM and, 6 months or one year later I have closed my PMs since I left the forum, you will be able to send me a PM anytime about anything (no guarantee it's about the same question that 6 months ago) just because I sent you a PM one ?!

However as an administrator or moderator of the forum you will always be able to send a PM to all users of the forum, no matter if they accept PMs from members or not.
    Regards

You missunderstood my suggestion. I am not saying to allow me sending you new mails over and over, but to reply to that one you started talking with me. Being unable to make new PM is still working, but it shouldn't if you decided to make a contact with me. Imagine quoting me on the forum and I can't reply to you. Why you bother writing me a message when i can't even reply?
    Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 19147
    Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

Post by Ape August 4th 2023, 7:57 pm

The Raven wrote:
    Ape wrote:If you are the founder / owner of the forum then you can reply to the member even if they say they don't want PM's

Well then sadly this is how the system was made if you turn off the PM's this means you don't want any PM's at all even reply's Sorry

Limited access on who can PM user Left1212Limited access on who can PM user Center11Limited access on who can PM user Right112
    Limited access on who can PM user Ape_b110
    Limited access on who can PM user Ape1010

Post by Guest August 4th 2023, 8:07 pm

Ape wrote:
    The Raven wrote:

Well then sadly this is how the system was made if you turn off the PM's this means you don't want any PM's at all even reply's Sorry

Ye, i know. Luzz told me she will check with technicians at some point.
    chattigre
    chattigre
    Forumember

Male Posts : 56
    Language : French (10/10), English (5/10)

Post by chattigre August 4th 2023, 8:39 pm

The Raven wrote:You missunderstood my suggestion. I am not saying to allow me sending you new mails over and over, but to reply to that one you started talking with me. Being unable to make new PM is still working, but it shouldn't if you decided to make a contact with me. Imagine quoting me on the forum and I can't reply to you. Why you bother writing me a message when i can't even reply?
    I had well understood your question, I just give you some details about the actual functioning of the system.

Sadly we will have no solution for you I think.

You can take a look to the Friends and Foes system, foes won't be able to send you PMs (or, more accurately, you won't receive them even if they are sent) even if you accept PM in general case, maybe it can be useful to solve a part of your issue...

Otherwise you can also make a suggestion to change the behavior of the system but there is no guarantee it will be updated and no ETA can be given.
    Regards

TonnyKamper likes this post

SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51503
    Language : English

Post by SLGray August 9th 2023, 10:24 am

I do not think most members would like this since a private message is only between the sender and receiver.  There is a reason why they are called private messages.

Limited access on who can PM user Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.

Post by Guest August 9th 2023, 10:26 am

SLGray wrote:I do not think most members would like this since a private message is only between the sender and receiver.  There is a reason why they are called private messages.

I think you didn't understand what I mean. Yes, PM is between reciever and a sender but how can receiver even reply here on forumotion when the sender disabled receiving PMs? Do you see how ilogical it is. I set i don't want to get pms, and then i PM you but you can't reply? Very Happy
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SLGray August 9th 2023, 10:34 am

The Raven wrote:
    SLGray wrote:I do not think most members would like this since a private message is only between the sender and receiver.  There is a reason why they are called private messages.

I think you didn't understand what I mean. Yes, PM is between reciever and a sender but how can receiver even reply here on forumotion when the sender disabled receiving PMs? Do you see how ilogical it is. I set i don't want to get pms, and then i PM you but you can't reply? Very Happy
    You do not have to reply to a PM from any member of the support forum.   If it is a staff member, you can always contact another staff member by PM.

Post by Guest August 9th 2023, 10:40 am

SLGray wrote:
    The Raven wrote:

You do not have to reply to a PM from any member of the support forum.   If it is a staff member, you can always contact another staff member by PM.

It's not related to staff member. Let's say he is regular member and he disabled PM and now it came to his mind: Hmmm, let me chat with this guy. He writes to me and boom, I can't reply to him. It should allow me to do so automatically since he decided to talk in the first place.
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SLGray August 9th 2023, 10:46 am

The Raven wrote:
    SLGray wrote:
    The Raven wrote:

It's not related to staff member. Let's say he is regular member and he disabled  PM and now it came to his mind: Hmmm, let me chat with this guy. He writes to me and boom, I can't reply to him. It should allow me to do so automatically since he decided to talk in the first place.
    That is how the system works, and I do not see it changing.

Post by Guest August 9th 2023, 10:46 am

That's why I gave the suggestion.. Because XenForo works in such way and I really like the concept.
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SLGray August 9th 2023, 10:49 am

The Raven wrote:That's why I gave the suggestion.. Because XenForo works in such way and I really like the concept.
    But there is a problem with this feature, it can not stop someone who has been harassing by PM's if you activate this feature.

Post by Guest August 9th 2023, 10:59 am

SLGray wrote:
    The Raven wrote:That's why I gave the suggestion.. Because XenForo works in such way and I really like the concept.
    But there is a problem with this feature, it can not stop someone who has been harassing by PM's if you activate this feature.

You simply block the user. Put to foe list. Contact administrator to warn him not to do that. There is always a way.