The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem with allowance of time to install skins

2 posters

Go down

Problem with allowance of time to install skins Empty Problem with allowance of time to install skins

Post by Merlin333 April 22nd 2008, 9:38 pm

I am in the middle of setting up my forum. There has been no lapse that could be considered it being abandoned. I have another person changing buttons and have some of my readers starting to join even though my target date is May 1st. For the second time my time to alter templates has expired. In the MIDDLE of installing buttons today I received this message:

"Templates management" option has expired.
You are not allowed to modify templates.
To enable this option again, go to the Points management panel.
Your templates are still used. If you wish to restore default templates, click on the link below.
Be careful: your templates will be erased !
Only templates of the phpbb2 version will be affected.

I completely understand the need to erase, lock out unused forums but this is not the case, in my case and the alloted time does not allow a reasonable period of time for site construction in my case.

Please extend this period so that I can complete the site in the manner I intended.

Thank You
Jon
merlin333@bigforumlive.com Problem with allowance of time to install skins Redface
Merlin333
Merlin333
Forumember

Male Posts : 147
Language : English

http://www.merlin333.bigforumlive.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Problem with allowance of time to install skins Empty Re: Problem with allowance of time to install skins

Post by g7acu April 22nd 2008, 10:06 pm

Just wondering, have you bought points to allow access for modifying the Templates? Template editing privilage can be bought for a years access to modify them, but if you try and access them without paying then I think you get this message (I used to get it, but I've since paid for a year access).

Assuming you're simply making changes to buttons, colours etc., then these shouldn't time-out but sometimes look as if they have if you click your back button and the previous page has expired (because of not saving changes fully for example).

Also, if you want to limit access while constructing your forum, you can do this in the admin control panel at admin>general>configuration>configuration and look for the Forum in Construction and Forum on Holiday options.
g7acu
g7acu
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Problem with allowance of time to install skins Empty Re: Problem with allowance of time to install skins

Post by Merlin333 May 9th 2008, 1:38 am

Thanks for your answer. I just think that a basic premise of this process is to configure your site - why this information should not be given immediately and that it should cost additional time is beyond me. That in addition to never getting an answer to a question has sent me on a quest to a better solution to having a site.

Once again thanks for your answers. I will try them although I do not think it will help.

Perhaps you know the answer to this question - does changing to a new skin restart the time allotment - do you know what the length of time is?
Merlin333
Merlin333
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest May 9th 2008, 2:07 am

You are confusing 2 things here.

1. Template Editing.
2. Theme changing.

In order to edit nthe templates you must buy credits through the Credits Management.

If you at any time want to change the theme of your site

go to
admin panel
Styles
Choose theme

If you want to change the images of your theme,
Go to:

Admin Panel
Styles
List Picture

You can change the themes and images at any time and you are not timed on the changes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin333 May 9th 2008, 3:05 am

I was in the middle of changing the main photo on my forum.

The logo is a little crooked. I was prevented because the time to do that had expired. I am aware of the categories perhaps not which is theme and which is template. I basically increased the contrast on the buttons - the originals were hard to see according to members. I removed the main picture and placed a logo on the picture and there was not enough time to do it - it was timed.

www.Merlin333.bigforumlive.com

(Can you advise what I need to do to make the index page come up first instead of the portal?)
Merlin333
Merlin333
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by g7acu May 10th 2008, 1:43 pm

Once the Portal is activated, it becomes your default homepage. The only recommend is for you to bookmark your index.htm page instead of your standard forum address, then the forum index will be brought up when accessing via favorites/bookmarks.
g7acu
g7acu
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin333 May 10th 2008, 5:22 pm

My main concern is for 1st time visitors - they have no opportunity to bookmark the index. This arrangement also eliminates the purpose of my announcement.

There must be a way to cause the index page to display first......?

Thanks
Jon
Merlin333
Merlin333
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin333 May 10th 2008, 6:56 pm

Kilsek wrote:You are confusing 2 things here.

1. Template Editing.
2. Theme changing.

In order to edit nthe templates you must buy credits through the Credits Management.

If you at any time want to change the theme of your site

go to
admin panel
Styles
Choose theme

If you want to change the images of your theme,
Go to:

Admin Panel
Styles
List Picture

You can change the themes and images at any time and you are not timed on the changes.

As I understand what you are saying I should be able to place a new picture in the main photo section (on my forum it is the area with the spiked image and logo) of my forum with no time restrictions. If this is true then I should be able to insert a correct picture with the fixed logo in my forum and not be restricted from doing that.

When I try the system does not allow it.

I have never bought any credits but I was in the middle of changing out the low contrast buttons for custom ones, I completed that and exchanged the main logo photo - saw the logo was crooked, straightened it out and tried to replace it and could not.

Jon
www.merlin333.bigforumlive.com
Merlin333
Merlin333
Forumember

Back to top Go down