The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to delete all of one member's postings globally

4 posters

Go down

How to delete all of one member's postings globally Empty How to delete all of one member's postings globally

Post by PippaB July 9th 2008, 4:12 pm

Hi, I'm going to have to remove all the postings of one particular ex-member of my forum. He was a prolific poster and there are nearly 5,000 postings in his name. Can anyone tell me if there's a way to globally delete all this person's messages in one go rather than having to do it manually (which would take quite some time and would prove extremely laborious).

Thanks for any help.
PippaB
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

How to delete all of one member's postings globally Empty Re: How to delete all of one member's postings globally

Post by mamabear July 9th 2008, 4:19 pm

Why not just leave them, delete any that are recent bad posts and just leave the rest.
They cant all be bad or you would have deleted them when they were made.
If he is banned, makesure banned shows under his name, it will be a reminder to others that if they brake the rules there are consequenses
mamabear
mamabear
Forumember

Female Posts : 528

http://todgrow.forumandco.com/

Back to top Go down

How to delete all of one member's postings globally Empty Re: How to delete all of one member's postings globally

Post by PippaB July 9th 2008, 4:25 pm

No - he has requested that ALL his postings are removed or he will take legal action against me. He was previously a moderator and has left under a cloud of resentment and anger - leaving the posts there is not an option I'm afraid. I've been advised in another thread that legally I must comply with his request. So basically, I'm looking for an easy way to do it.
PippaB
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Luka_08 July 9th 2008, 4:26 pm

it can't be done automatically, you must delete his/her posts by hand (manually)
Luka_08
Luka_08
Forumember

Male Posts : 553
Language : hrvatski, engleski, talijanski, njemački, latinski, srpski, bosanski, i svašta nešta

http://math-forum.org/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by PippaB July 9th 2008, 4:27 pm

Rolling Eyes cripes!
PippaB
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by mamabear July 9th 2008, 4:29 pm

Sorry I wasn't any help, I think you may have along job. I dont think deleting him will delete his posts either.

Just had a thought has he just left or was he banned?
If he just left and is still registered, Post on the forum and send him an email, to the effect that
he has ( say maybe three days or a week) to remove all his posts, after that date anything left will become the propperty of he forum.
Puts the ball ( and all the work ) firmly in his court.
Wont work if he is bannned though.
mamabear
mamabear
Forumember

Female Posts : 528

http://todgrow.forumandco.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by PippaB July 9th 2008, 4:43 pm

I've been advised here that legally I must comply with his wishes so unfortunately that approach won't work. I'm afraid we're not dealing with a rational person - he left of his own free will and then I banned him for fear of the trouble he will undoubtedly attempt to cause (there's no pacifying him - he's hopping mad and totally closed to any form of concilliation or mediation).

Whilst I'd like to assume that his postings are the property of the board, I've been advised in a separate thread that they remain his property and if he requests their removal then legally I must comply. He's already suggested that I have 5 days to remove them or face legal action! I've put the board on holiday until I know what to do next.

I guess I've got a long old job ahead of me! LOL
PippaB
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Dot Com July 9th 2008, 5:46 pm

You may want to check this thread out. Here
Dot Com
Dot Com
Forumember

Male Posts : 414
Language : English,HTML

http://www.eraofrebirth.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PippaB July 9th 2008, 5:56 pm

Hi DotCom - that's my other thread so I'm familiar with the content of it. I wanted to know earlier on if I HAD to remove the postings, then when it was confirmed to me that I would have to I started this thread up in order to find out if there was a quick and easy way to do it. It seems there's not - so both threads have been answered - yes, I must remove his postings and no, there's no easy or quick way to do so. Sadly I was rather hoping the answers would be the opposite!!!! Ho hum...

Cheers anyway and thanks to everyone who've helped answer my queries.
PippaB
Forumember

Back to top Go down