The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Saurus
KirbySB
Sir Gamealot
chops
8 posters

Go down

Avatars disappeared. Empty Avatars disappeared.

Post by chops July 19th 2008, 12:15 am

This afternoon, several of my members reported that they can't see any of the avatars on my forum. I checked, and I could not see them either. I went to Admin and checked my own profile, and the field for my avatar was blank. One user reports that she can see everyone's avatar though. Is there some way to restore them to all the users, or will they need to reload them into their profiles?

Thanks for any help!
chops

Female Posts : 10
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Avatars disappeared. Empty Re: Avatars disappeared.

Post by Sir Gamealot July 19th 2008, 1:11 am

The same thing's happening to my forum. It doesn't allow you to upload an avatar anymore either.

Here's a screenie:
Note: The avatar displayed was linked to from another image host.
Sir Gamealot
Sir Gamealot

Back to top Go down

Post by KirbySB July 19th 2008, 1:20 am

You should definitely be able to modify your own avatar, shouldn't you?
KirbySB
KirbySB
Forumember

Male Posts : 352
Language : English/Spanish

http://www.brolyhq.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Saurus July 19th 2008, 2:06 am

Of course you should. The question is why they are not able to upload or modify them. I'm wondering if there was a screwup with the databases in the recent crash. Possibly some link locations changed or aren't being read correctly.

Are those avatars hosted at your forum, or are they custom ones you host elsewhere?

I don't use ANY of the supplied avatars. All my users have custom ones I made them from pictures they supplied, and they are hosted at one of my own domains/hosting packages.
Saurus
Forumember

Male Posts : 789
Language : english

http://sunrisers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Gamealot July 19th 2008, 2:16 am

Saurus wrote:Of course you should. The question is why they are not able to upload or modify them. I'm wondering if there was a screwup with the databases in the recent crash. Possibly some link locations changed or aren't being read correctly.

Are those avatars hosted at your forum, or are they custom ones you host elsewhere?

I don't use ANY of the supplied avatars. All my users have custom ones I made them from pictures they supplied, and they are hosted at one of my own domains/hosting packages.
The one I have featured in the screenshot is custom and hosted elsewhere.

By the way, this is happening to most of my users, not just myself. Forumotion's admin panel upload system is also not working for me. Ex: Not letting me upload/modify smilies.
Sir Gamealot
Sir Gamealot

Back to top Go down

Post by chops July 19th 2008, 2:24 am

My problem is not that they can't upload avatars. They all had avatars. All the avatars just vanished today. Can I get them back?
chops

Back to top Go down

Post by chops July 19th 2008, 3:45 am

Maybe they CAN'T upload avatars! I just had one member tell me that he couldn't even use one hosted on Photobucket. He's using a gallery avatar for the time being. Is someone working on this issue?
chops

Back to top Go down

Post by slinkyman July 19th 2008, 5:11 am

Same thing is happening on my forum. Everyone's avatar that has been uploaded directly from the site is gone. They all show up as a red "X".

Avatars disappeared. Avatar-error525

Also smilies that have been directly uploaded from my site (####.com) do not work. Anything that has been uploaded by an additional hosting service works. (i.e. servimg)
slinkyman

Back to top Go down

Post by Saurus July 19th 2008, 5:29 am

To be clear on this ... you're saying that avatars you uploaded from your system/private host to forumotion have disappeared?

Sounds like the image folders at forumotion may have puked somewhat. Not good. Wonder why the rest of the forum graphics are unaffected, though? Puzzling.

This is interesting. I just checked the Avatar Gallery on my forum. In each area - personal, assigned, and other - all avatars were available, as was the ability to upload an avatar from my computer to the personal gallery. All the avatars for my members were intact also.

Have any of you with this problem checked your avatar galleries to see what is there? If they are not, something bad is going on and seems to be propagating through the servers, affecting more people. Definitely something for the techs to check out.

I'm using phpBB2, btw, if it matters. I'd be interested in knowing if the people with trouble are using v3 or those custom templates.
Saurus
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by slinkyman July 19th 2008, 5:49 am

Saurus wrote:To be clear on this ... you're saying that avatars you uploaded from your system/private host to forumotion have disappeared?

Sounds like the image folders at forumotion may have puked somewhat. Not good. Wonder why the rest of the forum graphics are unaffected, though? Puzzling.

This is interesting. I just checked the Avatar Gallery on my forum. In each area - personal, assigned, and other - all avatars were available, as was the ability to upload an avatar from my computer to the personal gallery. All the avatars for my members were intact also.

Have any of you with this problem checked your avatar galleries to see what is there? If they are not, something bad is going on and seems to be propagating through the servers, affecting more people. Definitely something for the techs to check out.

I'm using phpBB2, btw, if it matters. I'd be interested in knowing if the people with trouble are using v3 or those custom templates.
Images that are directly from my site i.e www.####.com/<picturenamehere/url> do not show.

That means currently smilies/emotes I've added and avatars do not work. All the avatars in the gallery are from another website hosting service.

I am also using phpbb2. I hope this issue gets fixed - glad it's not just me noticing this.
slinkyman

Back to top Go down

Post by kennethk15 July 19th 2008, 7:08 am

yes for some reason this happened to me today smilies and avatars are gone
kennethk15
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by chops July 19th 2008, 11:36 am

Some of my members are using gallery avatars, and they work fine. One tried a Photobucket pic, and couldn't use it. I tried Photobucket, and it worked for me. I also tried linking to picture on another site, which did NOT work. Then, several members told me they lost their "Browse" option, which I assume means they couldn't browse the galleries, either forumotion or their own personal galleries.
chops

Back to top Go down

Post by Christos July 19th 2008, 12:21 pm

WORKS NOW.

But we are having huge problem with photobucket. None can get pictures from pB to show..
Christos
Christos
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1238
Language : English,French,Greek,Luxembourgish

http://misery.in-goo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by slinkyman July 19th 2008, 3:38 pm

Everything is now working on my site. Smile
slinkyman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Gamealot July 19th 2008, 4:16 pm

Everything was operational again on my forum when I got up this morning. Thanks for your help, guys. Wink
Sir Gamealot
Sir Gamealot

Back to top Go down

Post by Saurus July 19th 2008, 5:07 pm

Christos wrote:WORKS NOW.

But we are having huge problem with photobucket. None can get pictures from pB to show..

Photobucket is the pits. Constant problems there. Have you tried Flickr? Or Imageshack?
Saurus
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by ostrvo August 2nd 2008, 1:43 pm

Now I can't see avatars only in my forum... scratch
Anybody know why ????

I use phpbb3 Ver.
ostrvo
ostrvo
Forumember

Male Posts : 127

http://www.toxicfarm.toxicfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ostrvo August 2nd 2008, 2:57 pm

Sorry people, but I now see avatars...
I dont know what happens, but now is OK.

Internet is miracle, somethimes you must only wait to resolve problems...ha.
ostrvo
ostrvo
Forumember

Male Posts : 127

http://www.toxicfarm.toxicfarm.com

Back to top Go down