The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Sheet

4 posters

Go down

Character Sheet Empty Character Sheet

Post by miyaca September 12th 2008, 8:11 pm

hi can anyone help me about the character sheet thingy... the instruction in some posts don't clear it out too much...
miyaca
miyaca
Forumember

Female Posts : 85
Language : English

http://angelflare.darkbb.com/

Back to top Go down

Character Sheet Empty Re: Character Sheet

Post by miyaca September 13th 2008, 10:24 am

bumping the thread. please help. please please.
miyaca
miyaca
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Animal Lover September 13th 2008, 10:28 am

plz plz help. i am having the same trouble.
Animal Lover
Animal Lover
Forumember

Male Posts : 298

http://clubpenguinfans.online-talk.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by §çà®Fãçë™ September 13th 2008, 10:40 am

There is a brief explanation in the Faq.
§çà®Fãçë™
§çà®Fãçë™
Forumember

Male Posts : 132
Language : English Swedish C++

Back to top Go down

Post by miyaca September 13th 2008, 12:06 pm

yeah i have read that but we need like a example a full example,...
miyaca
miyaca
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by §çà®Fãçë™ September 13th 2008, 12:39 pm

I agree it does need a few additions to be more understandable, and if I knew how to use it, I'd write up a short example, but unfortunately I don't.
§çà®Fãçë™
§çà®Fãçë™
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by miyaca September 13th 2008, 12:41 pm

i wish someone who knows how to use it and add an example. anyone out there?
miyaca
miyaca
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by §çà®Fãçë™ September 13th 2008, 12:45 pm

When I get time later, I'll read the Faq on the subject thoroughly, and learn how it works, then post a more in-depth tutoiral with examples, and ask if it could be added to the Faq ( if it's good enough of course ).
§çà®Fãçë™
§çà®Fãçë™
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by miyaca September 13th 2008, 1:06 pm

yeah that's perfect so everyone would know how to use it. im really intruiged with it's feature.
miyaca
miyaca
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by §çà®Fãçë™ September 13th 2008, 1:47 pm

Right, I just took a closer look, and know how it works.

I am a bit disappointed actually, but not suprised that every statistic on every character generated, needs to be updated manually by the gamesmaster ( or the user, if you allow it ) every time a dice roll is made.

I was expecting it automatic updating of character sheets, based on the outcome of the dice rolls, but unfortunately nope, that's not how it works, and I'm sure alot of you also expected it to.

There isn't any point in me writting a tutorial, because it's a very basic widget, and everything that really neeeds to be said, is already written in the Faq, but if you really want an example after reading this, I'll create one for you.

All you do is add the fields as stated in the Faq, i.e. Character Name ( Text Field ), Level ( Bar Field ), Hit Points ( Bar Field ), Armour Class ( Bar Field ), Strength ( Bar Field ), Class ( Choice Field ), and anything else you think is relevant to an RPG character.

Then you can create dice rolls, for example I might want a d20 ( 20 sided dice ) attack roll, and a d20 damage roll.

The attack roll would use the formula something like:

d20 roll outcome vs character's armour class, if the d20 is higher than the armour class, it's a hit, otherwise it's a miss.

The damage roll would use this formula for example:

d20 roll + strength = damage given, so if a character was hit and the damage roll was 5 and the strength of the character is 10, the damage dealt would be 15, so the character attacked would lose 15 hit points ( but remember this would need to be manually changed in the character sheets EVERY time a move is made, as it doesn't automatically update :p ).

Once you have created the dice rolls and character sheet information, the gamesmaster or user can generate their character sheet manually, changing the level, ability stats like hit points, and so on, so fourth.

Once generated, the user will have dice roll options when creating a post, the dice rolls they choose will be displayed as a post, and then the gamesmaster should modify the character sheet to reflect those dice rolls.

I'm guessing it's probably not what you were epecting, so the instructions given in the Faq are just fine, just don't expect too much out of this, players could easily cheat if they have been allowed to modify their character sheets ( what is to stop them adding maximum values for every stat? :p ), and a gamesmaster would have the task of reading every post in which a dice roll had been thrown, and then change a load of character's information in the character sheets, which really doesn't sound fun to me, but who am I to judge lol.

If you still want an example, I'd be happy to create one, but I'm pretty sure you have gotten the idea now.

Closing comments:

It's a good concept, but it fails because everything is manual, this to me takes the fun out of it, because what is fun about scanning an entire forum of threads, looking to see who attacked who with dice rolls, and then modify the character sheets to reflect that, sounds like a copius and boring task to me, but some may find it fun for 15 minutes. If this were more versatile and allowed for automatic updating, then it would be useful. The amount of effort that would need to go into this, just to uphold game rules, and keep everything running smoothly, just isn't worth the reward imo.

-Scarface
§çà®Fãçë™
§çà®Fãçë™
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by haitsmaboy September 13th 2008, 3:14 pm

I am sorry. I am not so firmiliar with Character Sheets. I will need to research this more. Until I do, you can read more about the subject Here
haitsmaboy
haitsmaboy
Forumember

Male Posts : 85

http://www.wdw-kids.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by miyaca September 13th 2008, 3:22 pm

i don't get the dice rolls thingy.
miyaca
miyaca
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by §çà®Fãçë™ September 13th 2008, 3:31 pm

haitsmaboy wrote:I am sorry. I am not so firmiliar with Character Sheets. I will need to research this more. Until I do, you can read more about the subject Here

Do you make a point of going out of your way to post useless comments and information already posted in the same thread? You've done it twice already in threads I have commented in, or are you trying to get your post count up?

I already posted a link to the Faq, what was the point in posting it again? Because if there is a point that I missed, please do enlighten me. I also just gave a detailed description on how the RPG widget works, did you even read the thread before posting?

miyaca wrote:i don't get the dice rolls thingy.

You create a dice by giving it a name, for example "Attack Roll", decide how many sides it has, if it has 20 sides, then users can use it to roll a number between 1-20. That's it.

Users can roll these dice when they post comments in your forums, and the gamesmaster as I explained earlier, would need to update character information, based on whatever rules you set for the game.

The most simple way to understand this is, imagine the character sheet is a piece of paper with character information written on it, and imagine the forum users are your mates, sitting at your house around a table, each with their own piece of paper with their character information on.

One of you is the gamesmaster, and you have a 20 sided dice ( or whatever dice you wanted ).

You all roll the dice each and whatever the outcome, you write it down on your piece of paper, taking away hit points, adding levels etc, you would obviously need to write this all down on the paper containing your character's information, because it can't update on it's own ( how could it? it's a piece of paper Wink ). Well that's exactly how the widget works, except it's on your forums in the form of a page instead of a piece of paper, in which your elected gamesmaster has to modify every time a user rolls a dice, because it also like the piece of paper analogy, does not update by itself, do you understand?
§çà®Fãçë™
§çà®Fãçë™
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by miyaca September 13th 2008, 4:11 pm

0o0oh ok. yeah i guess making it not automatic sucks. i think we need to request that to be automatic.
miyaca
miyaca
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by §çà®Fãçë™ September 13th 2008, 4:17 pm

miyaca wrote:0o0oh ok. yeah i guess making it not automatic sucks. i think we need to request that to be automatic.

I would expect amount of code for this widget currently to be very simple and small, and in order to have it update automatically, would mean a complete re-write of the widget, and it wouldn't be a small job I can tell you, so I would expect a suggestion for this to be shot down and not even considered, don't waste your time Smile

I am looking into creating a Dungeons & Dragons based game for forums, I am familiar with C++ and a couple of other object oriented languages, but haven't yet learned html or php, but I have plans to in the near future Smile
§çà®Fãçë™
§çà®Fãçë™
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by miyaca September 14th 2008, 6:29 am

me i don't even know any of that. hehehehe. im just good at frankindesigning. you know cut another picture and past in at another. thats why my forum sucks. i don't even know any of that. hehehe.
miyaca
miyaca
Forumember

Back to top Go down