The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is using IPB(invision) and why?

+26
coolerthancool
Charlotte Spiral
Brad38
sirlove
Eman and Kou
crystal786
Destroyer895
room28spartan
fhelix
kelly17
Cornelia
scripttester123
Demonspike
Mr.Killerguitar
Adiex
seraphim
Brandon
Carryn
~Julian~
SophieDophs
hexer
Beno
Cherry Blossom
Doctor Inferno
newjerseyrocks
Jalokim
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who is using IPB(invision) and why? Empty Who is using IPB(invision) and why?

Post by Jalokim November 9th 2008, 1:55 pm

This is not another one of those ... "would you rather" threads ...
I'd just like to know who is using IPB , who is planning to use it and why.

ofcourse I don't see a need for complaining about phpbb2 or 3 or punbb or IPb in this thread... I'd just like to see the members interested in IPB and what they like about it... also mention what you have done with it.

i am currently using the platform on my themeing site... I am satisfied... the CSS is grand ... well for an experienced coder that is. But nonetheless IPB is a nice platform to work with... I plan to upload a few skins to hitskin to show you the potential of IPB and possibly convert some folks to invision (or invasion ,as one good friend of mine says ...lol)

So who is using it? and who is unsure and would like a strict review?
Jalokim
Jalokim
Energetic

Male Posts : 6113
Language : English,Polish,CSS,HTML

Back to top Go down

Who is using IPB(invision) and why? Empty Re: Who is using IPB(invision) and why?

Post by newjerseyrocks November 9th 2008, 1:59 pm

I'm unsure. What are the ups and dwons of Inision? I'm sort of new and only use PhpBB2 or 3. Very Happy
newjerseyrocks
newjerseyrocks

Male Posts : 10
Language : English and a little french

Back to top Go down

Who is using IPB(invision) and why? Empty Re: Who is using IPB(invision) and why?

Post by Guest November 9th 2008, 3:05 pm

Not yet...............

Why?

To many bugs
and no Template editing

Id like to leave the CSS alone and just work with templates.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 9th 2008, 3:52 pm

I use IPB because it allows for more customization however only thru using CSS

Regards

Craig

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Inferno November 9th 2008, 4:09 pm

I will have to switch sooner or later, I'll will for all the bugs to be patched and for the profile to be built up before switching to it.
Doctor Inferno
Doctor Inferno
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1331
Language : GeekPolice

http://www.GeekPolice.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 9th 2008, 5:27 pm

i'm not going to keep change my board because forumotion bring differnt forum out, i think if you keep changing things all the time you going upset your members and probably scare them off too.

i think forumotion should fix & finnished off there other boards before making more bugs & making us waiting longer for what we want!!!!

GET IT SORTED FORUMOTION!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Blossom November 9th 2008, 5:35 pm

I have made a forum using IPB just to test it at the moment I prefer punbb but I haven't really had a chance to play properly but it looks good
Cherry Blossom
Cherry Blossom
Forumember

Female Posts : 996
Language : English

http://cherrydesigns.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 9th 2008, 5:38 pm

Cherry_Blossom_2 wrote:I have made a forum using IPB just to test it at the moment I prefer punbb but I haven't really had a chance to play properly but it looks good
I'm using ipb for one of my forums.
But its the real deal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Blossom November 9th 2008, 5:44 pm

couldbe86 wrote:
Cherry_Blossom_2 wrote:I have made a forum using IPB just to test it at the moment I prefer punbb but I haven't really had a chance to play properly but it looks good
I'm using ipb for one of my forums.
But its the real deal.

If I could afford real hosting I would be using VB
Cherry Blossom
Cherry Blossom
Forumember

Female Posts : 996

http://cherrydesigns.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jalokim November 9th 2008, 6:00 pm

for newjerseyrocks
minuses...
currently the code is not 100% bug free. The forum itself hasn't got any problems ... it can function properly without a glitch. But when customizing a few problems do occur. Simple things really... easy to over look.
It lacks the IPB profile ... for now.

Pluses:
Its an easy to work with platform if you know how to edit a CSS.
I say the code is flexible, so long as you know what you want and how to do it.
Template editing can give you a whole load of options, but the CSS is also able to change a few things. So yeah editing would be cool, but even without it lots can be done.
IPB looks more professional , it just looks like a forum. phpbb2 is chunky... phpbb3 is like a fly that's splat on a windscreen.
Jalokim
Jalokim
Energetic

Male Posts : 6113
Language : English,Polish,CSS,HTML

Back to top Go down

Post by Beno November 9th 2008, 7:00 pm

Jalokim wrote:
(or invasion ,as one good friend of mine says ...lol)
I SAID THAT :blbl:

Whats wrong with saying invasion rock it sounds a lot better than invison.. invision.. invasion.., i perfer invasion.

On topic, ive changed my forum to invasion ( Evil or Very Mad invison) i like the design and espesilly the members page Exclamation

Although the hitskin invasion defualt themes to be honest are RUBISH they cant even make a whole theme in english Evil or Very Mad
Beno
Beno
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3024

http://www.benwhitedesign.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by hexer November 9th 2008, 9:22 pm

I think I'll use it when it is bug free.
hexer
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by SophieDophs November 10th 2008, 6:24 pm

I'm still unsure whether to go IPB or phpbb3.

I've got a test forum on the go with phpbb3, but I want to set up a proper forum and was going to go with IPB after I discovered it in the update...

I'm fluent in HTML but a little rusty with CSS, although I expect it won't take long too get back into it.

I'd very much appreciate a strict review - that would be helpful - thanks.
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Julian~ November 10th 2008, 6:55 pm

Hello,
I find the version "Invision" fairly good.
Only it is a little confusing.
~Julian~
~Julian~
Forumember

Male Posts : 172

http://neverever.forumieren.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carryn November 11th 2008, 12:18 am

I installed it on one of my forums.
I notice there is no avatar in the PM which is one of the previous upgrades for the others versions that i liked.

am i missing something -to have the avatar in the PM?
Carryn
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1399
Language : none.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon November 11th 2008, 12:32 am

I might use it in the future....when there are more skins for it
Brandon
Brandon
Forumember

Male Posts : 361

Back to top Go down

Post by seraphim November 17th 2008, 5:02 am

hmmm, i recently just switched to the invision version.

the members like it.

looks more professional they say.

and to think we have an RPG forum

phail. haha

anyway, it looks nice.

i think we'll stick to it. Very Happy
seraphim
seraphim
Forumember

Female Posts : 159
Language : Who knows?

http://chappy.rabbit-forum.net/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Adiex November 17th 2008, 12:24 pm

currently using PunBB, im hate to changing themes again after put alot effort to modifying punBB,

but since invision look so nice, i might change to that themes later Very Happy
Adiex
Adiex
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1014
Language : er?

Back to top Go down

Post by SophieDophs November 17th 2008, 5:04 pm

seraphim wrote:hmmm, i recently just switched to the invision version.

the members like it.

looks more professional they say.

On my test forum I'm having trouble with the layout.

Anyone know if it's possible to move the smilies box with CSS?

(it's currently on the left of the write message pane and I'd like it on the right)
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.Killerguitar November 18th 2008, 12:32 am

Mmh, I've seen that we can use Invision now and did a test forum to see what it is like. Unfortunatly the coding is far different from the normal PhPbb2 or 3 forums. I added my CSS code to it and it wasn't really what I wanted.

I have to see what differences are between Invision and PhPbb2 (what I use) to see what I'd prefer. Are here on the forum some threads about this?
Mr.Killerguitar
Mr.Killerguitar
Forumember

Male Posts : 388
Language : German, English, some indo-european stuff

http://steal-this-site.forumieren.de/

Back to top Go down

Post by Demonspike November 18th 2008, 1:29 am

I use the tried and tested PhBB2

Is it possible to change over after I choose a type, without losing my stuff I have already..

Skins, Pics, Boards, Posts, Members..etc

I would like to see the other versions, but do not want to see them at the cost of my own site.
Demonspike
Demonspike
Forumember

Male Posts : 458

http://darkrealms.roleplaylife.net

Back to top Go down

Post by scripttester123 November 18th 2008, 1:44 am

I tried it for a while when it first came out, but I remember coming across lots of little problems, so I switched back to PHPBB3
scripttester123
scripttester123
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 21st 2008, 10:04 pm

As soon as the last update came out, I immediately switched to IPB. I personally prefer the layout and the CSS is really easy to play with.. even for a CSS noob like me. The following day everything went crazy and I ended up switching to punBB. A week ago, I switched back to IPB and am loving it! It's not as versatile as phpBB2 with the template editing, but still so much can be done with the CSS. If they also added template editing in with the CSS on IPB I'd be one over-joyed little camper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelia November 22nd 2008, 12:22 am

For now, I'm using IPB on one of my testboards in order to build a skin under request.

But I don't know which one of the link colors it's related, but when I have set my Link, Active Link and Visited Link to red, my table footers and page footer have turned red and I had to fix them with CSS. Plus, I noticed the small footer links and the "All times are GMT" lines get overlayed and so, I had to fixe it as well.
And a last detail : Whatever we change text colors, the navlinks texts stay dark and I had to use a CSS fix to change them to white and I even had to use the !important hack to force it.
And a last problem I had to fix : I had a white-bordered rectangle around the second line of the first stats block. I had to correct it to have only the upper and lower borders, in grey color.

For information, the requested skin I'm currently working on it is a dark skin.
So, according to my tests, IPB has some problems with dark skins.
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 4763
Language : I'M NOT A TECHIE OR A MOD, SO QUIT SENDING ME PMS FOR TECHIE STUFF OR LOST PASSWORDS !!!

http://ishimaru-design.servhome.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 22nd 2008, 2:44 am

I have used paid IPB forums in the past and really enjoyed working with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelia November 23rd 2008, 10:06 am

Phew, I have finished correcting the dark design I'm working on.

From the tests I did, there are corrections to do, because if we don't touch at the CSS at all, IPB isn't well adapted for dark designs. For example, I had to set the codebox color because it stayed white, and so, when you use a dark design (and so, white texts), you can't read what's written because you have a white text on a white background. Another example, is that some texts (such as the navlinks texts and the mainoption buttons texts) have no specified colors, so if you use a dark background, they become hard to read and you have to use CSS to set a light color to these texts.
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 4763
Language : I'M NOT A TECHIE OR A MOD, SO QUIT SENDING ME PMS FOR TECHIE STUFF OR LOST PASSWORDS !!!

http://ishimaru-design.servhome.org

Back to top Go down

Post by kelly17 November 23rd 2008, 11:09 am

I am using invision it is very good it has great options like newer forum that why i like invision
kelly17
kelly17
Forumember

Male Posts : 62
Language : Croatian

http://marijowebzone.topgoo.net/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by fhelix November 29th 2008, 9:59 am

i love invision i hope there is a new skin on it Very Happy Very Happy
fhelix
Forumember

Male Posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by room28spartan December 6th 2008, 11:54 pm

Jalokim wrote:This is not another one of those ... "would you rather" threads ...
I'd just like to know who is using IPB , who is planning to use it and why.

ofcourse I don't see a need for complaining about phpbb2 or 3 or punbb or IPb in this thread... I'd just like to see the members interested in IPB and what they like about it... also mention what you have done with it.

i am currently using the platform on my themeing site... I am satisfied... the CSS is grand ... well for an experienced coder that is. But nonetheless IPB is a nice platform to work with... I plan to upload a few skins to hitskin to show you the potential of IPB and possibly convert some folks to invision (or invasion ,as one good friend of mine says ...lol)

Well I am using it for the heck of it because it is new and wil someone give me a \
Jalokim wrote:strict review
room28spartan
room28spartan
Forumember

Male Posts : 235
Language : Gibberish

Back to top Go down

Post by Destroyer895 December 8th 2008, 12:32 am

I'm using Invision, and I, personally, don't notice the difference :/

I just liked the colors/themes/pictures, because they are more professional looking and organized.
Destroyer895
Destroyer895
Forumember

Male Posts : 34

http://gamecave.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next