The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attachments

+4
Tarogasini
CharleX
Darren1
13gentj
8 posters

Go down

Do you think that we should be able to add attachments to our posts on our forums?

Attachments Left1181%Attachments Right11 81% 
[ 21 ]
Attachments Left1119%Attachments Right11 19% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 26

Attachments Empty Attachments

Post by 13gentj December 14th 2008, 5:01 am

Hi Guys,

I know that this has already been brought up, but the person who posted it didn't have a poll and is now banned. I know some of you do not think that this is a very good idea, but I think it would be great. Especially for forums like mine.

If someone wants to share a program that they made of freeware they can attach it to a post. They have attachments on so many other free forum providers. People could post the address to their file on a free file uploading site, but There is always something that could happen to the file on the site or the site. This way posters can know that their files are safe on the site, and they do not have to go through the pain of registering on the file uploading sites and even sometimes having to pay for them.

I think that this would be very helpful to many forums. I know it will be helpful to mine. If you think that this would be helpful to your forums please vote yes and comment. If you do not agree and think that this is not a very good idea please vote no and tell me why you think it is not a good idea.

Again I am sorry for bringing this up again, but again the person did not have a pole and they were banned so they could not put one up either. So please do not criticize me for bringing it up.

Thanks for reading this whole thing. I know this is pretty long, I had a lot to share. So know its time for you to decide what you think. Please vote and comment.
13gentj
13gentj
13gentj
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Attachments Empty Re: Attachments

Post by Darren1 December 14th 2008, 5:15 am

Voted no!

you can do the exact same via hosting images/video's

if someone wanted to "download" some freeware they would go to the proper sit to get it.
Plus this would be extremely difficult to make, and wouldn't be useful at all!
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by 13gentj December 14th 2008, 5:19 am

It would definitely be helpful to me. Again what if something happens to the site where the freeware originated?
13gentj
13gentj
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 December 14th 2008, 5:31 am

if I had it, i could pass it to them via msn, email xfire ect.

Its not public.

What happens if the freeware is ILLEGAL and shouldn't be passed around??
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by CharleX December 14th 2008, 6:33 am

I voted yes. Rolling Eyes
CharleX
CharleX
Forumember

Male Posts : 492
Language : English and Korean

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarogasini December 14th 2008, 3:54 pm

I voted no. It does sound like a lot of work and not really useful to be honest Sad

Plus, if you are so worried about the file ( or the site that store the files ) - you can always set up a FTP server and share the link as an exclusive to your members.
Tarogasini
Tarogasini
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1351

Back to top Go down

Post by 13gentj December 14th 2008, 5:37 pm

What is an FTP server?
13gentj
13gentj
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem December 14th 2008, 6:11 pm

File Transfer Protocole Server

Basically, a computer axed only on keeping data and processing information.
Caihlem
Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by SophieDophs December 15th 2008, 12:07 am

Attachments to posts? I say no, this could lead to unsafe attachments being added and less savvy surfers could unwittingly click on them. (Although I guess it does depend on the type of forum you run.)

However, attachments to Personal Messages (PMs)? Now that would be useful. Many times I have needed to send a word or excel document via a PM - and couldn't.
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarogasini December 15th 2008, 12:49 am

SophieDophs wrote:However, attachments to Personal Messages (PMs)? Now that would be useful. Many times I have needed to send a word or excel document via a PM - and couldn't.

This would be similar to email attachments then ?

This sounds interesting. Perhaps you should create your own suggestion and poll for it ?
Tarogasini
Tarogasini
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1351

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 December 15th 2008, 1:02 am

SophieDophs wrote:
However, attachments to Personal Messages (PMs)? Now that would be useful. Many times I have needed to send a word or excel document via a PM - and couldn't.

Yes, i know the feeling...however that is why you can email things.
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by 13gentj December 15th 2008, 2:35 am

SophieDophs wrote:Attachments to posts? I say no, this could lead to unsafe attachments being added and less savvy surfers could unwittingly click on them. (Although I guess it does depend on the type of forum you run.)

Well we would have permissions on it. Like only admins can attach files to posts. Or only people with over 500 posts or something.
13gentj
13gentj
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by DONK March 18th 2009, 8:24 pm

It would benefit my forum tremendously if we were allowed to have/use attachments, so I voted Yes!

My forum is based around the PS3 and namely the Gran Turismo game. It would be a big help to have attachments for the purpose of the members of my forum to upload TT replays for verification purposes.

I have set up an account on a file hosting website to upload my TT replays to. Then I have posted a link on my forum for my memebers to download from, but theres just to many processes to go through to actually get to the download part, you also get all those annoying Pop-Ups and advertisements.

It would be so much easier and efficient if Attachments were made possible.
DONK
DONK
Forumember

Male Posts : 48

http://www.gtdrivers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 13gentj March 21st 2009, 11:42 pm

GT Drivers wrote:It would benefit my forum tremendously if we were allowed to have/use attachments, so I voted Yes!

My forum is based around the PS3 and namely the Gran Turismo game. It would be a big help to have attachments for the purpose of the members of my forum to upload TT replays for verification purposes.

I have set up an account on a file hosting website to upload my TT replays to. Then I have posted a link on my forum for my memebers to download from, but theres just to many processes to go through to actually get to the download part, you also get all those annoying Pop-Ups and advertisements.

It would be so much easier and efficient if Attachments were made possible.

Yes I agree
13gentj
13gentj
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by joshuajared2000 May 28th 2009, 4:29 pm

Voted yes..

I like the idea and most of these concerns , while valid, are trivial. For example if some one is found to be hosting illegal files, they are banned their forum shut down.

If some unsavy person clicks a link to some thing, i would think they should know what they are clicking... shouldnt be the forums fault if people click where they shouldnt.

Attachments are a valid option to have.. consider those forums who offer free computer help through the use of programs like "hijack this".
This program creates a log file, *too big to be posted in the forum* so the helper can say to the person, "please add your HJT log as an attachment".

If there is a problem with some thing, people can take a screen shot and attach it to a pm sent to the mod.

i guess the "just have them email it " is a poor reason not to have this, bc why should people be blowing up my email box? thats personal lol
and then there was the idea "host it else where" ok seems valid, but many of these "non savy " people can hardly manage to work the forum let alone have a clue on how to go through all of say putfile, zshare or rapidshare.

Good idea, hope it gets added i know it would be put to use on my site.
joshuajared2000
joshuajared2000
Forumember

Male Posts : 28

http://footsteps.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DONK May 28th 2009, 7:19 pm

Is there any news on wether or not attachments are going to be implimented at some point, looking at the Poll it seems to be a popular request.

Thanks Craig.
DONK
DONK
Forumember

Male Posts : 48

http://www.gtdrivers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 13gentj May 29th 2009, 9:20 pm

I don't know. I think they declared that they weren't going to do it. I hope they do though.
13gentj
13gentj
Forumember

Back to top Go down