The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where is the site's stylesheet? I need to edit it

4 posters

Go down

Solved Where is the site's stylesheet? I need to edit it

Post by RRC April 18th 2009, 1:40 am

I can view and download the stylesheet (.css) for our site and I can see the code that needs changing.

But, for the life of me, I can't see any way to edit the stylesheet in the Admin section of our site.

I could edit the file in a text processor, like Notepad, and FTP it back to the site, but is this allowed?

BTW I used to be a web designer, so I know about stylesheets etc. - I'd like to do this the right way, but can't see how.

Any and all hints or help will be gratefully received.
RRC
RRC

Female Posts : 16
Language : English English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Where is the site's stylesheet? I need to edit it

Post by ilkzz April 18th 2009, 1:49 am

I think this is what your looking for....
display>pics and colors>colors>ccs stylesheets
ilkzz
Forumember

Male Posts : 209
Language : english

http://www.allroudforum.free-boards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RRC April 18th 2009, 2:21 am

Thanks for your help.

I found "display>pics and colors>colors>ccs stylesheets" OK, but unfortunately that only covers a tiny part of the whole stylesheet which, in the case of our site, is a massive 57 kb and more than 3,000 lines of code.

As I'm a newbie here, perhaps I should explain a bit. I've been asked to help out with our site. My background is in website development, Linux and professional content management systems. If I could edit the code (html, javascript, css, etc.) directly, I could do what I've been asked to do very easily.

So far it looks as if the only way to edit the code that I need to alter is to access the actual .css file, to edit it and upload it directly to the site. The obvious method would be to use File Transfer Protocol (FTP) for this, but I'm not sure we're allowed to do this - don't want to blot my copybook or anything.

I'm struggling to find my way with this approach to web design, because, so far, everything seems so frustrating and hands off. I can understand the reasons for this, but it's like trying to drive whilst blindfolded and wearing boxing gloves.
RRC
RRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa April 18th 2009, 3:21 am

Hello Hello RCC and welcome to the Support Forum.

Because you are new, here are some useful links that may help you, where you can look for answers :

Arrow Frequently Asked Questions
Arrow List of the Frequently Asked Questions' topics
Arrow Tricks & Tips
Arrow List of the Tricks & Tips topics
Arrow The Search feature
Arrow The FAQ of Forumotion.com

Moreover, if you don't find the answer for your question, don't hesitate to open a new topic since this section is made for this! Very Happy

Nessa
Nessa
Nessa
Energetic

Female Posts : 6203
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by RRC April 18th 2009, 10:08 am

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction - the Basic CSS stylesheet does the job.
RRC
RRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket April 18th 2009, 4:54 pm

Since this thread appears to be solved, I will lock this thread and mark it as solved.
Sanket
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Language : English

Back to top Go down