The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guest access

2 posters

Go down

Guest access Empty Guest access

Post by alicia June 2nd 2009, 10:38 am

Hello

My forum is 3 months old now. When it was created I set the security parameters very tight as we had been previously destroyed by a malicious and spiteful individual.

I have take a poll and we do not want to make the whole forum accessible to unregistered guests as some members have posted personal items, however is there any way I can make it so guests and prospective members can view the homepage without actually getting in to read the posts till they are registered?

I think not being able to see anything at all is putting people off as they do not know what they are signing up to.

Thank you
alicia
alicia
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Guest access Empty Re: Guest access

Post by Jalokim June 2nd 2009, 10:42 am

yes, you can open your entire forum to guest but not let them read content, or you can select forums the guests can read.

these are called permissions.

go to your admin panel-> general -> forums and categories-> permissions tabs

you will see all the permissions for each of your forums.
select on of your forums on the left side... this will open a individual permissions page:

If you want guests to view and read the content in that forum mark the view and read box... if you don't want them to read it unmark it

you need to repeat this for every forum that you want viewed or not
Jalokim
Jalokim
Energetic

Male Posts : 6113
Language : English,Polish,CSS,HTML

Back to top Go down

Guest access Empty Re: Guest access

Post by alicia June 2nd 2009, 11:21 am

that sounds good, but as long as I have the registration set to 'admin activated' guests cannot get into the forum to see anything at all.

I am scared that if I allow automatic registration then I have no control over who registers and the trouble makers could find us and infiltrate us again. There are some sad people out there and my members are vulnerable. Sad

thank you for your input Jalokim. I will look further into it later on. Very Happy
alicia
alicia
Forumember

Back to top Go down