The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Member Activation problem

3 posters

Go down

activation - Member Activation problem Empty Member Activation problem

Post by Soleil June 15th 2009, 8:01 pm

My forum has been having some issues with new members being activated automatically at random. The forum is set to admin activation only, but somehow it keeps telling us that one of us (mostly me) is activating these accounts when we aren't. I've changed my password and had the other admin change her password and it's still happening.

Today for example, I got an email notification of a new member wanting to be activated. This member had already joined in the past and was banned and deleted for his behavior. I opened the admin panel and it said that I had already activated that member, which I absolutely did not so I had to go in and ban/delete him all over again.

I cannot figure out why this is happening. Every time we have a new member I send a pm to the other admin and she tells me that she has never activated any member. It's just getting a bit annoying that I can't figure out why it's doing it.

activation - Member Activation problem Admin
Soleil

Female Posts : 19
Language : English

Back to top Go down

activation - Member Activation problem Empty Re: Member Activation problem

Post by Soleil June 15th 2009, 11:04 pm

any ideas?
Soleil

Back to top Go down

Post by Walshy95 June 15th 2009, 11:25 pm

Hmmm... perhaps the person who keeps registering is the same member, but he has a hacker tool where even though you can change your password, he/she can still hack you with the hacker tool. And he keeps logging in as you and activating his account.

Just a thought.
Walshy95
Walshy95
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1308

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk June 15th 2009, 11:31 pm

The only way they can be activated by how you have this set is by an administrator.

check your security logs and you can see who activated who.

Admin panel>General>security.
scroll down to last actions and go through the logs.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soleil June 15th 2009, 11:55 pm

kirk wrote:The only way they can be activated by how you have this set is by an administrator.

check your security logs and you can see who activated who.

Admin panel>General>security.
scroll down to last actions and go through the logs.

It says I'm doing it (or my admin account is) and I know that I am not. The times it says I am activating these members I'm not even online. That's why I thought to change my password, but it still happens.

ETA:

Torres, I really hope that isn't what's going on. It's done this for... 4 different people since Mid-April, but lately it's been the same person. I really don't want to disallow new members but if thats what I have to do I'll do it. They keep joining, being activated, and spamming our forum.
Soleil

Back to top Go down