The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We should do a different type of login(email instead of username)

+13
Mystic_gohan2
Summer Law
--kml--
Darren1
dotDavid
KingOfSports
Global DJ
Mehtevas
Caihlem
AiKirika
Aggie
Blofeld
MasterAdmin120
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

We should do a different type of login(email instead of username) Empty We should do a different type of login(email instead of username)

Post by MasterAdmin120 August 20th 2009, 2:39 am

THIS TIME WITH EMAIL INSTEAD OF USERNAME
MasterAdmin120

Language : english

Back to top Go down

We should do a different type of login(email instead of username) Empty Re: We should do a different type of login(email instead of username)

Post by Blofeld August 20th 2009, 2:53 am

Poll?
Blofeld
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1088
Language : ............

Back to top Go down

We should do a different type of login(email instead of username) Empty Re: We should do a different type of login(email instead of username)

Post by Aggie August 20th 2009, 3:13 am

And why e-mail?
Aggie
Aggie
Forumember

Female Posts : 185
Language : Dutch

http://www.aquariumwereld.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AiKirika August 20th 2009, 2:04 pm

dont only say we need this or that...
but explain why something would be needed...
and give examples if possible...
and yes...
a poll would be helpful as well
AiKirika
AiKirika
Forumember

Female Posts : 480
Language : english, german

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem August 20th 2009, 2:32 pm

And don't scream either it's irritating We should do a different type of login(email instead of username) Redface
Caihlem
Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehtevas August 20th 2009, 6:29 pm

You tell him Caihlem Razz

Can you explain?
-no vote-
Mehtevas
Mehtevas
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2114
Language : Currently, I am receiving support requests by P.M. Support requests, which can, and should, be done in the support section.

Back to top Go down

Post by Blofeld August 20th 2009, 6:39 pm

Caihlem wrote:And don't scream either it's irritating We should do a different type of login(email instead of username) Redface

Agreed Wink
Blofeld
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1088
Language : ............

Back to top Go down

Post by Global DJ August 20th 2009, 7:15 pm

This doesn't make any sense. The whole idea of a forum is having your own username. Unless you're posting with your email as your username, then it could work.
Global DJ
Global DJ
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehtevas August 20th 2009, 8:32 pm

He's talking about like Myspace or Facebook,
You log in with your email and Password.
Mehtevas
Mehtevas
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2114
Language : Currently, I am receiving support requests by P.M. Support requests, which can, and should, be done in the support section.

Back to top Go down

Post by KingOfSports August 20th 2009, 9:01 pm

If you have to log in via e-mail, I assume your e-mail would be visible to all members. o_O

I don't want that.
KingOfSports
KingOfSports
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2487
Language :
Back to top Go down

Post by AiKirika August 21st 2009, 3:06 pm

why would it be visible to all users...

you have a username, an email, a password...
you login with your email and password..
and in the forum itself you are names with your username...
no email leaking to the public
AiKirika
AiKirika
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 21st 2009, 3:08 pm

If someone wants that, they can use their email for their username.

Back to top Go down

Post by AiKirika August 21st 2009, 3:09 pm

thats the point

they do not want to use their email as username...
but want just to be able to login with it...
AiKirika
AiKirika
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 21st 2009, 4:55 pm

Ahh. Perhaps Email/Username? This way you can use both.

Back to top Go down

Post by KingOfSports August 21st 2009, 6:34 pm

I see no point in this. What's the point of signing in with your e-mail if its going to display a username?

Whats wrong with usernames?
KingOfSports
KingOfSports
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2487
Language :
Back to top Go down

Post by AiKirika August 21st 2009, 6:39 pm

maybe some ppl have problems to remember their multiple usernames they use all over the internet...
but only have a few emails they use for them...
and they easily forget the username used on this or that forum
AiKirika
AiKirika
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 21st 2009, 8:23 pm

I agree. People generaly only have 1 email. However, they usualy have multiple username/identities. This sounds like a good idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by dotDavid August 23rd 2009, 2:52 am

kewlkreator wrote:I agree. People generaly only have 1 email. However, they usualy have multiple username/identities. This sounds like a good idea.

Disagree. 1 for school, 1 for work, 1 for signing up to sites, 1 recently for collecting all my others using gmail. Thats generally how it is, maybe lesser the 1 for school.
dotDavid
dotDavid
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2404

https://help.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 August 23rd 2009, 3:34 am

ddwl wrote:
kewlkreator wrote:I agree. People generaly only have 1 email. However, they usualy have multiple username/identities. This sounds like a good idea.

Disagree. 1 for school, 1 for work, 1 for signing up to sites, 1 recently for collecting all my others using gmail. Thats generally how it is, maybe lesser the 1 for school.

Add another 10 ( And increasing Mr. Green ) to avoid those cyber stalkers for me Very Happy

Im actually voting yes for this.

Why:

It's an additional login feature, that would be useful for those whom forget their usernames, and just prefer emails rather then usernames as their easier to remember Wink

EDIT: Id vote, but there aint a poll

Last edited by darren1 on August 23rd 2009, 5:29 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ., im also an idiot)
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by --kml-- August 23rd 2009, 3:40 am

No:

1 ) Spammers know your email.
2 ) Spammers will be keep sending Lost password and flooding your email.
3 ) Privacy Wink
4 ) ouh this forum has no techies
5 ) i like cats We should do a different type of login(email instead of username) Oops
6 ) Isnt self explanatory
7 ) will make the username looks ugly with those @@@@@
--kml--
--kml--
Forumember

Male Posts : 456

http://kmlforumhl.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Summer Law August 23rd 2009, 4:19 am

No
if you forgot your username just search through the memberslist untill you remember
and if you dont let guests view the members list then u deserve this
->We should do a different type of login(email instead of username) 345755
Summer Law
Summer Law
Forumember

Male Posts : 473

http://pokevo.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 23rd 2009, 5:58 am

I don't think you understand. You use your email as a username. But when you login, your display name is still your regular username like "kewlkreator". Spammers or privacy wouldn't be an issue.

BTW: Cats? WTF Question

Back to top Go down

Post by Summer Law August 23rd 2009, 6:07 am

Im still with no
im sure a username is shorter than an email address so you would be waisting time typing the extra letters
Summer Law
Summer Law
Forumember

Male Posts : 473

http://pokevo.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by --kml-- August 23rd 2009, 7:41 am

well that will confuse members Wink
--kml--
--kml--
Forumember

Male Posts : 456

http://kmlforumhl.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic_gohan2 August 23rd 2009, 8:49 am

email can be seen in admin panel . so answer is no
Mystic_gohan2
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by dotDavid August 23rd 2009, 10:08 am

Mystic_gohan2, Thats not the point. Seems like you haven't been reading the topic properly. The point was to log in using your email so you can remember it easily.

I'm going with log in with both methods. It has been done and like Wordpress, you can set a login name, but have a display name different to the one you have.

If only there was a poll.
dotDavid
dotDavid
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2404

https://help.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic_gohan2 August 23rd 2009, 10:10 am

^^ i mean that forum admin can cheat because he can edit their passwords and email are located too
Mystic_gohan2
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by AiKirika August 23rd 2009, 3:43 pm

admins already can see email addresses anyway...
and edit passwords too...

so this feature wouldnt change anything...

it would be just an addition cause.. see... not many ppl have 10 email addresses..
i myself have 3...
one official i give out to my work or school or whatever...
one for having fun in the internet... registering somewhere...
and the third one also for registering somewhere... but it is rather a spam email....
and its really no bother to remember them...

also i suggest there should be some kind of option... whether you want not log in with your email... or your username...
that way everybody is happy...
AiKirika
AiKirika
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by babaganoosh August 25th 2009, 8:13 pm

Screw all the reasons listed above...my username is shorter than my e-mail and I'm a lazy man, so I'd rather type in my shorter username.
babaganoosh
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by singerealm August 25th 2009, 8:31 pm

I'd prefer yes but on the bright side, we should have option in the admin control panel that allows users to login in with:

option 1: E-mail
option 2: Username

There no affected way to put e-mail as username, so we can stop fighting about this bickering.
singerealm
singerealm
Forumember

Male Posts : 172
Language : English, learning polish

http://lasertagforum.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next