The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Viruses

4 posters

Go down

Viruses Empty Viruses

Post by horsefeathersone September 9th 2009, 2:26 am

I am an Admin on the Horsefeathers forum. Less than 2 hours ago another Admin had a warning window pop up warning that a virus was found on our forum. Her PC is now unuseable. Is there any way to scan and clean our forum?
horsefeathersone

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Viruses Empty Re: Viruses

Post by Ryuku September 9th 2009, 2:30 am

This is incredibly strange, i've never heard of a virus attacking a forum. Have you been on the site at all since she has told you about this? Also whats your forum?
Ryuku
Ryuku
Forumember

Male Posts : 165

http://shinehq.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by horsefeathersone September 9th 2009, 2:45 am

The forum is Horsefeathers. I went in briefly and there was very little in the way of activity so I left.....quickly.
horsefeathersone

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk September 9th 2009, 2:59 am

it might be just a corrupt add. or her system protection is not identifying the site and that's why it's coming up as a virus warning.

tell her to check her firewall to allow the site in. and if her virus thing goes off just move to the vault.. this has happened before to people. it's usually people who are using mcafee for some reason. i think you have to set it to allow the site in. it's not recognizing it.

just to be safe she can run all her scans.

oh and whats the link to the forum? let me see if i get anything.
I'm using avast and if there's anything on the page it will come up.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by horsefeathersone September 9th 2009, 3:23 am

http://horsefeathers.forumotion.com/forum.htm
She is the original admin of this site. Her firewall was giving no problems until now. Her pc won't connect to the internet and is sluggish to function. She's taking her PC to a repair shop tomorrow but is worried about others in our forum.
Thank you for your help!
horsefeathersone

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk September 9th 2009, 3:28 am

OK well i don't even see any adds on there. plus i have had nothing come up on mine. It might be something she has gotten somewhere else or just other things she may have had in there and was unaware of. i do not think it has anything to do with your forum. but if you like you can always put it into holiday mode or construction mode until she has her pc back?

but once again i do not believe it's has anything to do with forumotion.
are there any out of the ordinary post that may have something in them?
or even links leading somewhere that's corrupt with virus on the page?flash banners,video games perhaps?
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 September 9th 2009, 3:33 am

Hello,

It might be that she is receiving a False posative, where her virus protection is sending a fake virus, making it look like a virus.

For the other on the forum, send a mass Email, get them to upgrade to Avast! Free - The only difference between paid & free is that paid has automatic-updates Wink
If they have got paid protection, then I would strongy advise to leave them be, as changing my be wasting ALOT of their money Viruses 465297

As for the forum in it's entiety, it is 100% SAFE, the only way you can get a virus on it is through the DataBase, which cannot be done unless it's through the technician's them selves.
And they don't play with virus' either, so it's a false posative Wink
So there isn't a virus on your forum.

https://help.forumotion.com/other-problems-f46/forumotion-maximum-security-for-your-forums-t11392.htm
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by horsefeathersone September 9th 2009, 3:36 am

You can never tell about the things other people put in there but I don't believe there's anything that anyone could've done. Thank you for checking this out!!
horsefeathersone

Back to top Go down

Post by horsefeathersone September 9th 2009, 3:39 am

What is the difference between Avast and the other "free" ones?
horsefeathersone

Back to top Go down