The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there any way to remove the number of views for posts?

2 posters

Go down

Is there any way to remove the number of views for posts? Empty Is there any way to remove the number of views for posts?

Post by carlamell September 30th 2009, 5:07 pm

Does anyone know if this can be done? Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

Is there any way to remove the number of views for posts? Oof10

If not that's fine, I just wanted to know if it could be removed. Thanks.
carlamell
Forumember

Language : English

http://www.ourotherfamily.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Is there any way to remove the number of views for posts? Empty Re: Is there any way to remove the number of views for posts?

Post by ankillien September 30th 2009, 5:56 pm

Hello,

Actually there is no option to disable topic views but you can do it via template editing if you are using phpBB2 or punBB.
ankillien
ankillien
Energetic

Language : English, XHTML, CSS, JS, PHP, SQL

Back to top Go down

Is there any way to remove the number of views for posts? Empty Re: Is there any way to remove the number of views for posts?

Post by carlamell September 30th 2009, 6:56 pm

ankillien wrote:Hello,

Actually there is no option to disable topic views but you can do it via template editing if you are using phpBB2 or punBB.

Okay. Are there instructions somewhere on how to do this?
carlamell
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 30th 2009, 7:35 pm

Since you're using phpBB2, you should go the template editing route since it's the best and easiest way to accomplish your task.

But for the record, removing the topic views column can be done on any forumotion board, not just on phpBB2 and punBB. What you need is advanced knowledge of javascript/DOM and the ability to think outside the box.

Now, to answer your last question. There is no instruction manual for template editing. Without some knowledge of HTML coding, playing with templates is tricky at best and disastrous at worst. If you're not comfortable doing the editing yourself, I suggest that you make a request and hope that someone will help you. Otherwise, you'll need to pay someone to make the changes to your templates.

Back to top Go down

Post by carlamell September 30th 2009, 10:27 pm

Dion wrote:Since you're using phpBB2, you should go the template editing route since it's the best and easiest way to accomplish your task.

But for the record, removing the topic views column can be done on any forumotion board, not just on phpBB2 and punBB. What you need is advanced knowledge of javascript/DOM and the ability to think outside the box.

Now, to answer your last question. There is no instruction manual for template editing. Without some knowledge of HTML coding, playing with templates is tricky at best and disastrous at worst. If you're not comfortable doing the editing yourself, I suggest that you make a request and hope that someone will help you. Otherwise, you'll need to pay someone to make the changes to your templates.

I'm pretty familiar with HTML. What area would I need to edit the template in? I'm viewing the templates but don't see which area I should try to edit for the views.
carlamell
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by ankillien October 1st 2009, 7:18 am

Well, the tricks that Dion is talking about require advanced knowledge of JS and DOM etc.
Here I tell you a simple way of removing topic views column.

Go to Admin CP > Display > Templates > General > topics_list_box.
Find out this part of code...

Code:
<th align=&quot;center&quot; nowrap=&quot;nowrap&quot; width=&quot;50&quot;>&amp;nbsp;{topics_list_box.row.L_VIEWS}&amp;nbsp;</th>

You just need to remove it. Now find out this part of code...

Code:
<td class=&quot;row2&quot; align=&quot;center&quot; valign=&quot;middle&quot;><span class=&quot;postdetails&quot;>{topics_list_box.row.VIEWS}</span></td>

Remove this part too and save the changes. After saving it, hit the '+' (Publish) button to make the changes work.

Be very careful while editing the template and make sure that you've found the exact piece of code that I've shown above.

If you make any mistake, you can always restore the template by deleting the changes.
ankillien
ankillien
Energetic

Language : English, XHTML, CSS, JS, PHP, SQL

Back to top Go down