The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with forum construction

2 posters

Go down

Help with forum construction Empty Help with forum construction

Post by perfectomega November 18th 2009, 1:36 am

Hi guys

I'm new to forum construction and in the past been VERY basic on th way i've made forums like just copying templates and slightly changing the colour and logos. However this time I am wanting to make the forum more user friendly. For example I have learned how to add a basic marquee onto the forum and so far come across from another topiv with the following code:

<div align="center"><FONT
color="#0077a2" size="+3"><MARQUEE bgcolor="#FFFFF"
direction="left" loop="20" width="100%"><STRONG>SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION</STRONG></MARQUEE></FONT></DIV>

This is already an improvement for my forum but now I wish to know if anyone knows of another coder which includes increasing or decreasing the speed of the text within the marquee and stopping the marquee text while the mouse cursor is over it

Other things I wish to have like on most good forums i see either on the right or left of the page there is a box which has latest topics scrolling up or down as well as a Top posters chart showing in a small graph the top 10-20 people who post on that site.

Thank you very much for any and all replies as they are all welcomed and valued

Last edited by perfectomega on November 18th 2009, 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot one little bit)
perfectomega

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Help with forum construction Empty Re: Help with forum construction

Post by Finogar November 18th 2009, 2:39 am

Hey,

To improve on your Marquee knowledge, you might want to take a look at the following page.

http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/_MARQUEE.html

Good Luck
Fin
Finogar
Finogar
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by perfectomega November 18th 2009, 11:47 am

Ok thank you for this reply. I have now learned thanks to it, how to change the speed the text goes at. One thing I have a problem with though is, and not just the Marquees, is that certain words in the forum become highlighted hyperlinks which is a pain, for example the Marquee i now have is:

<div align="center"><FONT
color="#EE0000" size="+2"><MARQUEE bgcolor="#000000"
direction="left" loop="40" width="100%" SCROLLDELAY="20"><STRONG>Site under construction. Thank you all for your patience. Deadline for the final changes will be by 10th December 2009</STRONG></MARQUEE></FONT
</DIV>

And on the Text part where under constrution.... the word the, where ive highlighted, becomes a different colour on the marquee and underlined with a link to it. Is there a way to deactivate this from happening in my forum with words i don't wish to have links with?
perfectomega

Back to top Go down

Post by Finogar November 18th 2009, 1:32 pm

Hey,

Can you provide a link to your forum so I can see exactly what is happening?

Thanks
Fin
Finogar
Finogar
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by perfectomega November 19th 2009, 2:20 am

Certainly here is my forum atm (please note i am litterly a n00b who actually doesn't know much if anything)

http://theBDC.forumotion.net

The Marquee is now ok as i changed the text slightly but as u'll see by the Who is online? section The & Birthday have links that i don't want. Also how do I move theMarquees bar above the Widgets so it can run all the way across the screen?

again thank you so much as i know this must be a pain helping out a beginniner on this

Last edited by perfectomega on November 19th 2009, 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot some info)
perfectomega

Back to top Go down