The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can members view the forum, open topics but not read the topics?

3 posters

Go down

Can members view the forum, open topics but not read the topics? Empty Can members view the forum, open topics but not read the topics?

Post by Diana Thu 25 Feb 2010 - 7:33

Quite an awkward question, but is it possible for members to see a subforum, not read the topics but open threads?
I just want only a 'group' of people to be able to read the topics but want everyone to be able to open topics.
It would just be like a suggestion subforum where people can send their ideas and stuff.
I changed the permission to members able to view the forum and able to open topics but it didn't work like that.
I have a user especially for recieving suggestions but I don't want to give all of 'the group' members the password of that.

I have a place outside the forum for suggestions aswell, but I need one on the forum, something like the subforum.

edit: Or is it possible to open some kind of form on the forum where people can write their ideas and when submitted the message appears somewhere where only 'the group' can see it?

So any suggestions?

I remember I was on a forum once where people used 'hide' tags. I cannot remember how they work. If anybody knows about these then can you remind please. Smile
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1286
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Can members view the forum, open topics but not read the topics? Empty Re: Can members view the forum, open topics but not read the topics?

Post by MrMario Thu 25 Feb 2010 - 9:05

Have you looked in the advanced Permissions? Uncheak reply to messages but have Make a Topic Checked.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Can members view the forum, open topics but not read the topics? Empty Re: Can members view the forum, open topics but not read the topics?

Post by Diana Thu 25 Feb 2010 - 9:13

If I have 'read the topics' unchecked it won't let me see anything, it just says the forums is only for admins.
The 'post a new topic' button won't show.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana Thu 25 Feb 2010 - 23:20

So can this be done at all?
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk Fri 26 Feb 2010 - 5:59

you mean you want members to be able to see the forum not be able to read any topics but still be able to post?

it's not possible you can not reply or open/post a topic if you cant read topics.
so you can have it so members see the forum. but unless you have it so they can read topics then they wont be able to post anything in there.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana Fri 26 Feb 2010 - 7:22

but do you know how the hide tags work?

I'm on another forum where the admins used the tags but don't anymore.
Basically it's the tags that hide the content til you post in the thread, then you're able to see what is in there.
I asked one of the admins but she didn't know much about it and the other person who was an admin isn't one anymore. The admin I talked to said something about some modification and making it compatible with the server or something.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk Fri 26 Feb 2010 - 7:44

Code:
[hide] [/hide]

i know these work for guest that way but i am not sure about members.
You should create another account for your self as a test member.This way you can try the tags in a post log out and then log in with the test account and see if you can see the content in the post.. if not then as soon as you reply you will.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana Sun 28 Feb 2010 - 2:38

No it is not working.

Is there any other way to do something like it? It would be really handy.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 2:28

Still need help with it. Anyone?
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down