The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attachment Problem

3 posters

Go down

Attachment Problem Empty Attachment Problem

Post by RAtSoaDM May 3rd 2010, 10:10 am

I don't know why the attachments decided to show up on my forum now. O_O I feel like i need to Thank someone here for fixing it. haha

but i tried uploading an attachment, started with a small picture, it uploaded quick..attached...then i tried a small 1.7mb mp3 but it keeps saying

Uploaded file is not valid.

someone accidentally donated to the Forums so i have 185mb of storage haha so thats not the problem.

Thanks
RAtSoaDM
RAtSoaDM
Forumember

Male Posts : 525
Language : English

http://bootlegmatrix.netgoo.org/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Attachment Problem Empty Re: Attachment Problem

Post by kirk May 3rd 2010, 9:41 pm

it's not going to allow you to upload anything to forumotion. so i dont know what you mean by haveing a attactmeant option.

we have host a image,link,flash and add video.. but you have to put the url to them in the options.. the only thing that forumotion will upload is images and thats done through servimge one image at a time.

so i am not sure please explain more
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RAtSoaDM May 4th 2010, 5:22 am

Well it says

You can attach one or more files with the following form :
( 3g2, 3gp, bmp, doc, docm, docx, gif, jpg, m4a, m4v, mov, mp3, mp4, mpg, pdf, png, pps, ppt, pptm, pptx, swf, tif, txt, wma, wmv, xls, xlsb, xlsm, xlsx, zip )

O_O
RAtSoaDM
RAtSoaDM
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk May 4th 2010, 6:23 am

well i see the option for setting permissions for attachments but do not see anywhere you are supposed to add the attachments. So must be one of the new features that dint realise we have now.. but where are you supposes to apply the attachments i dont see anything for it? lol

unless this is only for those who buy credits.. may be thats why i dont see anything for it?

Info added

HAHAHA LOL...

Ok i see it now. i have never seen even seen the option.
If you ask me this whole is just a bit retarded to me...lol i mean 20 mb thats nothing your members will blow through 20 mb in now time. and even with a 150 mb.. you cant allow members to re4aly use the feature fully. i mean what is someone uploads a video or three or 4 songs. i mean 150 mb is not very much and 20 is nothing.

so unless your going to pay for your members to allow them to use the feature how it should be it's not even worth offing this option to them, i mean if you had a paid forum with your own server or own service host that allows you much data storage then i can see haveing a feature like this on your forum.

plus is dont even see anything about getting more storage for attachments in the faq. it's only for the gallery and domains..so may be it just was not added.

Now sure you can set the amounts on what you want to allow per upload.. but what the heck good is that..i mean if you going to have a average 3 min song mp3 file uploaded is going to be close to 3mb a pop. so unless forumotion is offing a reasonable price for people to buy more storage the whole thing is just stupid to me.

i mean i have a beta group- social network and it allows unlimited music uploads right to a persons personal music playing in there profile, and up 50 mb for video uploads in the video section for free.

but beta groups is way different then forums and is like haveing your own personal social network.. i am just trying to explain and use that as an example to try to comprehend this new attachment option for forumotion..

i guess it can be worth it if only the admins or staff are uploading things to offer there members.. but i mean as far as the members really haveing the ability to comfortably add attachments i just dont see this happening without the owner of the forum haveing to pay for it.. i am going to have to get some more info on this to see how much it is for the amount of mb they are offering.. like you said you had 150 mb space.. well how many credits dose it cost for that.. i mean if it\'s reasonable and and a fair price and you can continue to buy mb to add then it would be worth it for those that can afford it for there forums. but i mean if it's going to be more on the pricey expensive side..then i see no use what so ever for this feature.
upload music to music players and have members post the embed codes. same things with vids.. use youtube.. any other files you can use a file host.. but be sure that nothing in the files is breaking any copyright laws or forums tos.

So until i get more info on exactly how the storage and buying more mb.. i am kind of on the fence and unsure about the feature.

but like i said it can have some benefits for those that can afford it or just for staff or admins use.

but let us not forget.. forumotion can only offer something small for all members forums to start with. there's a lot of forums and a lot of data involved with this feature. so of course they would never be able to offer unlimited uploads etc.. for free. you know they have thousands upon thousands of forums data they still have to maintain..

oh and i just now noticed below the subject box here that the attachment option is there and forumotion support forum has the mb set for 01.46mb. i dont know if thats for all member's or just staff here either.. when did we even get this option. i dont remember seeing this option in the last big update when we got like 20 new features.. i guess it was..

so anyway i have to find out more info on how much it cost to add more storage and mb to your forums.

so let me try to add something with it wile we are on the subject... lol
oops never mind i cant even find a file that will fit... hahahah

Last edited by kirk on May 4th 2010, 7:33 am; edited 2 times in total
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 May 4th 2010, 7:03 am

Hello,

Kirk, welcome back Attachment Problem 506755
You add the attachments via the posts; of cause if you've edited certain template (I know u have Razz ) you can find the necessary changes in the update thread in the update section Smile
And also check out Admin panel >> General > attachments Wink

Ratsoadm, can you try re-uploading it?
And if it's still saying invalid, try uploading it here or another forumotion forum please.

Also, is the .mp3 file size larger than you have allocated?
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk May 4th 2010, 7:17 am

Darren1 wrote:Hello,

Kirk, welcome back Attachment Problem 506755
You add the attachments via the posts; of cause if you've edited certain template (I know u have Razz ) you can find the necessary changes in the update thread in the update section Smile
And also check out Admin panel >> General > attachments Wink

Ratsoadm, can you try re-uploading it?
And if it's still saying invalid, try uploading it here or another forumotion forum please.

Also, is the .mp3 file size larger than you have allocated?

yeah i just found everthing. i dont remember us getting this new feature.. i mean i guess it can be cool if you can buy space at a reasonable price.. but i mean what is the cost for how ever much mb you can buy at a time.

Oh and like i said..according to most of the mp3 files i have. it seems it's about 3mb for like standard 3 min song.. uploading a song in not going to happen. i couldn't even upload a stupid Tarzan yelling sound effect thats only 150kb.. so my point of all this is why even have a feature like this if most of the stuff is going to exceed the limit even with more space i dont see anyone really allowing there members to be able to use this feature.

so dunno.. i am on the fence with the whole thing.. i just need to know ho0w much it would cost for extra mb then i can determine if it would be worth getting for my self or not.

Last edited by kirk on May 4th 2010, 7:35 am; edited 2 times in total
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by RAtSoaDM May 4th 2010, 7:20 am

I'll try it on this Board

Uploading..................................................

same result "Uploaded file is not valid."

I'll try another MP3...Uploading.........

oh woops now it says "Uploaded file is not valid: exceeded attachment maxsize (150 kB)"

Ahhh dudes my bad! I didnt have the fricking Allocation set right...got it set on "(Max size per file : 0.031 Mb)"

Thanks for pointing it out!

Maybe someone can learn from my dumbness xD
RAtSoaDM
RAtSoaDM
Forumember

Back to top Go down