The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Excluded Guests are Viewing the Forum and Index

3 posters

Go down

Excluded Guests are Viewing the Forum and Index Empty Excluded Guests are Viewing the Forum and Index

Post by HotParadox Wed May 05 2010, 23:51

This is my new forum:
http://chitchatlounge.forummotion.com/forum.htm

I have set every forum and sub-forum (* Categories and forums * Forum Permissions Control) to exclude guests from viewing them. As far as I thought I knew, the only way a guest could view anything beyond the sign-in page, was to be a member. However, right now it shows that 2 users are online and I should be the only person online.

I want the index/forums to be visible only to members, but it is showing me that there are guests viewing the forum and index This has happened at least twice today that I am certain of, although it maybe more times.

One time the guest was from New Zealand so that leads me to believe that it is not a member using a different IP from a different location, since as all my members reside in the US and none are away on vacation.

What am I doing wrong?
Here is one example, not the one from NZ, however. This one showed the IP#, but did not show the location on the map:

Who is Online ?
Who is Online ?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 1 Hidden and 1 Guest
Most users ever online was 3 on Sun May 02, 2010 5:21 pm

Registered Users: Admin

This is a brand new forum, but I have another forum and I am fairly certain that I have the new one set up properly. In fact, when I go to my new forum, I must sign in before I can see the index etc, so I am quite confused as to how anyone else can be viewing the index or forums.

Thank you for any help you can give me to keep guests locked out completely until they register and I then approve them as members.

Thanks,

HotParadox/Admin
HotParadox

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Excluded Guests are Viewing the Forum and Index Empty Re: Excluded Guests are Viewing the Forum and Index

Post by dr.sport Thu May 06 2010, 00:08

Well, they could be at the "Sighn in" thing, and still count as being a "user" online.

And if it doesn't show there location on the map they probally have a safety thing on there computer.Wink
dr.sport
dr.sport
Forumember

Male Posts : 159
Language : english, and html

http://technoninja.niceboards.net/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Excluded Guests are Viewing the Forum and Index Empty Re: Excluded Guests are Viewing the Forum and Index

Post by HotParadox Thu May 06 2010, 01:39

Great! You answered my question and explained the map thingy so I very much appreciate that. I will assume that I am safe then. Thank you!
HotParadox

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk Thu May 06 2010, 04:09

as long as the permissions are Set for the forums guest will not get in.
if you have the permission's set to where they can see the forum but can not post or reply. then they can appear like they are in the section from the admin panel because they have clicked to the section and are tonally there just cant do anything. also if they are on the register page or outside of the forum it will still appear as if they are in the index.

But once again. if permissions are set to not allow guest in to the forum index or any other forums on your site they will not have access to get in.

Since the thread appears to be solved i will now mark and lock
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down