The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When Reseting Passwords add a Security Question(s)

+33
Count Dooku
koolkat96
Omu
musket
Lillia
S(o)ciaL
Stephen-
lalalamda22
Adam360
vervada
ToTheFuture
Base
Ape
Noctis
Mio-chan
Bigg Boss
Jophy
Master Marc
invisible_fa
Rianna Lauren
nathanpc
Dumbledore27
Lechin
KingOfSports
Saxaca
Nomee
Sanket
Mod 4 U
fan4me
Wellbe6
Darren1
Reverse Simplicity
MrMario
37 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

When Reseting Passwords add a Security Question(s)?

When Reseting Passwords add a Security Question(s) Left1195%When Reseting Passwords add a Security Question(s) Right11 95% 
[ 69 ]
When Reseting Passwords add a Security Question(s) Left115%When Reseting Passwords add a Security Question(s) Right11 5% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 73

When Reseting Passwords add a Security Question(s) Empty When Reseting Passwords add a Security Question(s)

Post by MrMario October 3rd 2010, 12:58 am

Hello,

I suggest that we add a security question(s) in case you forgot your password. You can add up to three questions and have to get 2 out of the three to be able to reset your password. When we click on Forgot password we have to enter are email but that is too easy for someone who knows are password to the email. It would be nice to add a security question because the person may not know your answer and would help prevent people who shouldn't have access to that account. When you answer all three questions wrong the account is locked out for 90 minutes (which could be changed by Forumotion) and an email is sent to the person say are you the one trying to reset your password? If so your account has been locked. This would also include an IP of the person who is trying to reset the password. If you aren't trying to reset the password please view this to help prevent someone gaining access to the account.

If you still have problems with not remembering your questions or password you can still come to the support forums and ask for a password reset.

Thank you for reading my suggestion and remember to vote.

Last edited by MrMario on October 10th 2010, 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

When Reseting Passwords add a Security Question(s) Empty Re: When Reseting Passwords add a Security Question(s)

Post by Reverse Simplicity October 3rd 2010, 1:04 am

Vote yes! More security = Better always!
Reverse Simplicity
Reverse Simplicity
Forumember

Male Posts : 140
Language : English

http://ychat.realityboard.net/

Back to top Go down

When Reseting Passwords add a Security Question(s) Empty Re: When Reseting Passwords add a Security Question(s)

Post by Darren1 October 3rd 2010, 1:05 am

Reverse Simplicity wrote:Vote yes! More security = Better always!

Very good
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by Wellbe6 October 3rd 2010, 1:13 am

Darren1 wrote:

Very good

Very good Very good
Wellbe6
Wellbe6
Forumember

Language : English (I do know some spanish)

http://fishhooksfanforum.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fan4me October 3rd 2010, 3:29 am

voted YES cause more security is better BUT i know *I* for one always forget my answers to those questions after awhile so a bunch of people, if they're anything like me, could get locked out of their accounts.
fan4me
fan4me
Forumember

Male Posts : 126

http://orianthi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario October 3rd 2010, 3:46 am

The account would only be locked for 90 minutes thus you can also come here to reset your password.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverse Simplicity October 3rd 2010, 3:50 am

fan4me wrote:voted YES cause more security is better BUT i know *I* for one always forget my answers to those questions after awhile so a bunch of people, if they're anything like me, could get locked out of their accounts.
Isn't it the idea of these things is to be a question with an answer that never changes. 'birthplace' 'mothers maiden name' etc
Reverse Simplicity
Reverse Simplicity
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Mod 4 U October 3rd 2010, 4:50 am

By explaining 90 minutes is too overwhelming, someone can blow off their head with that time limit, otherwise let the administrator choose how many minutes until the account stopped being in lockdown, and default 90.

I'll say "yes" if you include the information above.
Mod 4 U
Mod 4 U
Forumember

Male Posts : 46
Language : English, Learning Spanish

http://atmosphir.forum-motion.net/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket October 3rd 2010, 6:13 am

A definite yes from me.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by fan4me October 3rd 2010, 2:15 pm

Reverse Simplicity wrote:
fan4me wrote:voted YES cause more security is better BUT i know *I* for one always forget my answers to those questions after awhile so a bunch of people, if they're anything like me, could get locked out of their accounts.
Isn't it the idea of these things is to be a question with an answer that never changes. 'birthplace' 'mothers maiden name' etc

well sometimes its like "Where was your mother born?" and I have no idea so i always have to ask her.
fan4me
fan4me
Forumember

Male Posts : 126

http://orianthi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomee October 3rd 2010, 3:37 pm

yes i think i would be implemented because this feature provide more security to our forum & i had this suggestion in my mind since last week & now it,s already been posted so i just say that it is more secure by adding this option ....... Smile
Nomee
Nomee
Forumember

Male Posts : 384
Language : Urdu,English

http://www.businessfellows.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Saxaca October 3rd 2010, 11:15 pm

Wellbe6 wrote:
Darren1 wrote:

Very good

Very good Very good

Very good Very good Very good

That kinda says everything.

@ Mod 4 U

I dont wanna blow up my head.. Admin should be able to remove, and edit the limit. Agree with you.

To make this even more safe, what about the Admin making you able to have more questions, with 3 at the minimum?

All in all, this is a great suggestion Very good

--> Voted yes
Saxaca
Saxaca
Forumember

Male Posts : 539
Language : Markup.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario October 4th 2010, 2:12 am

The 90 minutes is only an explain do you really think by saying 90 minutes will be implied.

I guess the person who voted no wants his forum to be lost by someone else.

Thanks for the support Smile
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by KingOfSports October 4th 2010, 2:50 am

I voted yes a while ago but forgot to mention it...
KingOfSports
KingOfSports
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2487
Language :
Back to top Go down

Post by Lechin October 4th 2010, 2:51 am

I give a big thumbs up for this. This is a very good idea. Not only does it provide more security, but it kind of gives us a relief that our password is more safe & secure.
Lechin
Lechin

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario October 4th 2010, 6:31 am

I'm really not sure why this isn't even made. I mean Gmail, Yahoo, YouTube etc... all have this feature.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 October 4th 2010, 6:56 am

Mod 4 U, if you enter your password in wrong after a few attempts, it's locked for the following 90 minutes, as it presently is.
There would be no time change

P.S. 90 mins = 1.5 hrs Wink Not THAT long..
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by Dumbledore27 October 4th 2010, 1:24 pm

Voting yes. Smile

Another of those (sometimes) extremely useful suggestions Laughing
Dumbledore27
Forumember

Male Posts : 632
Language : Online
Location : Error 403 - You do not have the permission to view this item's value

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest October 4th 2010, 5:30 pm

Dumbledore27 wrote:Voting yes. Smile

Another of those (sometimes) extremely useful suggestions Laughing

My vote is Yes Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by nathanpc October 4th 2010, 6:00 pm

Saxaca wrote:
Wellbe6 wrote:
Darren1 wrote:

Very good

Very good Very good

That kinda says everything.

@ Mod 4 U

I dont wanna blow up my head.. Admin should be able to remove, and edit the limit. Agree with you.

To make this even more safe, what about the Admin making you able to have more questions, with 3 at the minimum?

All in all, this is a great suggestion Very good

--> Voted yes
Very good Very good Very good Very good
nathanpc
nathanpc
Forumember

Male Posts : 33
Language : Portuguese

http://snippetmix.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reverse Simplicity October 4th 2010, 6:10 pm

nathanpc wrote:
Saxaca wrote:
Wellbe6 wrote:
Darren1 wrote:
Very good
Very good Very good
Very good Very good Very good Very good
Wow! I made a good post Wink

To add to content the questions should be plentiful, but have only one possible answer (No 'your favorite' junk).
Things like: parents maiden names, first car, first highschool, town born in: are all good ones.

With needing to ask your mother for he birthplace, well at least it means your account is secure. Not even you retain the information required. Like having 2 keys that must be turned at the same time Wink

I would love to see this implemented. As the OP said, this is a default feature on many, if not all, of the most visited websites.
Reverse Simplicity
Reverse Simplicity
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Rianna Lauren October 4th 2010, 6:15 pm

Definitely yes! It's always better to have more security. :3
Rianna Lauren
Rianna Lauren
Forumember

Female Posts : 288
Language : English, Indonesian

http://belgianreporter.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by invisible_fa October 4th 2010, 9:44 pm

Yep, good suggestion, but I would modify one little thing...

When you answer all three questions wrong the account is locked out for 90 minutes and an email is sent to the person say are you the one trying to reset your password?

In that email, the IP of the person that answered wrong to the questions should be reported to the owner, so the real owner could investigate who is the person who tried access illegally to the account.

As I said before, positive vote from me, but adding that little thing Wink

invisible_fa
invisible_fa
Forumember

Male Posts : 960
Language : Klingon
Location : Does it matter? I'm Invisible, you will not see me anyway

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario October 9th 2010, 1:54 am

Anyone else like to voice their option?
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by Master Marc October 9th 2010, 3:54 am

I like the idea, but what if the person forgets the answers to these security questions? Also, it'd be nice to log to IP of the person trying to reset your password. I've voted yes, Very good
Master Marc
Master Marc
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3661
Language : English and Spanish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy October 9th 2010, 11:31 am

Good idea, it'll give us more security Wink
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigg Boss October 9th 2010, 4:54 pm

If we can forget our password how can we remember our question and answer.
example: i forget my password and i want to reset it but i forget my answer and question what will i do? Smile
I lost my yahoo id bcz of this system. Smile
Bigg Boss
Bigg Boss
Forumember

Male Posts : 192
Language : urdu

http://urdukorner.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario October 9th 2010, 11:58 pm

Master Marc wrote:I like the idea, but what if the person forgets the answers to these security questions? Also, it'd be nice to log to IP of the person trying to reset your password. I've voted yes, Very good

بلا wrote:If we can forget our password how can we remember our question and answer.
example: i forget my password and i want to reset it but i forget my answer and question what will i do? Smile
I lost my yahoo id bcz of this system. Smile

Ummm come here and PM Typlo, Luky or I to reset the password. This is just to help keep you account safe. Everything else would be the same.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mio-chan October 10th 2010, 5:25 pm

Voted yes, since this is so obvious. Every single website has this, and its a great added security measure.

Great suggestion MrMario
Mio-chan
Mio-chan
Forumember

Male Posts : 284
Language : English, Portuguese | CSS3, HTML and learning C++

http://www.theolympiansclan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noctis December 18th 2010, 10:31 pm

Wow this will be really helpful! Good suggestion
Noctis
Noctis
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next