The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

drop down navbar - -PunBB

2 posters

Go down

drop down navbar - -PunBB Empty drop down navbar - -PunBB

Post by Yakko! 23/1/2011, 06:57

how to have a drop down navbar in PunBB?
:wouhou:
Yakko!
Yakko!
Forumember

Male Posts : 661
Language : Italian, english, Français

Back to top Go down

drop down navbar - -PunBB Empty Re: drop down navbar - -PunBB

Post by Guest 23/1/2011, 15:39

You'll need knowledge of advanced javascript, and the ability to think outside the box. Very Happy

Templates offer no advantage here. In fact, it's easier to modify the navbar on an IPB2/Invision board than it is on a PunBB board!

And before you ask -- NO, I will not provide any "code". I'll provide suggestions (on my tech board, not here), but you'll be writing the "code" yourself...

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 23/1/2011, 18:05

Hi,

Dion, your actually right there, JS in IPB is actually soooo much eaiser than any templates TT

This post should help out Smile
=> https://help.forumotion.com/t81583-navbar-drop-down#528408
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/1/2011, 18:44

That's not the forumotion navbar...it's a new one that doesn't contain information you get from the forumotion navbar.

Why is that important? Well, for one, the code in that topic won't work due to the new URLs. Razz If forumotion changes URLs again, the code will break again. Plus, that navbar code isn't going to tell you if there are unread PMs in your Inbox -- nor will it log you out without a confirmation menu.

The ONLY way to do that is to take forumotion's navbar and turn it into a drop-down. Doing that is no different on any of the four board types, because forumotion offers no access whatsoever to the navbar code in templates.

I'll note that adding the (broken) code from that topic is just as easy in IPB2/Invision as it is in a template. And a heck of a lot safer, because a mistake in a template will break your board. A mistake in an HTML file isn't a big deal. That's a pretty big thing.

See, here's the difference between you and me. I've tried templates with PunBB and came to the conclusion they were a waste of time because the DOM and CSS were so crappy. And phpBB2 is even worse. You haven't tried using javascript on IPB2/Invision boards. I'm speaking from experience here. From where are you speaking?

Back to top Go down

Post by Yakko! 24/1/2011, 09:36

it don't go!
Yakko!
Yakko!
Forumember

Male Posts : 661
Language : Italian, english, Français

Back to top Go down