The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

css submit problems

Go down

css submit problems Empty css submit problems

Post by useme November 17th 2007, 10:26 am

hello...

I have some problems with my css when I edit in experts mode.

1. It replaces the first line of the css file with the default css content of forumotion and then it appends my modified content.

2. Every time i submit the css it creates a new css file with a different name. More specificly. a few days ago as you probably know it had a standard name. mine was 81-ltr.css, the day it started the problem it created 10-ltr.css. It continious to create files every time i submit. 10-ltr 12 13 14 25 etc. it would not be such a hastle if I wasnt using the style changer proposed here. Now everytime i have to change the script in order to view the changes because it reads the css file that had specified.

I think it's easier to modify one file rather than create a new one with a different name each time i hit submit. In a few days i will have created 50 to 90 files just to preview the changes. I remind you that the older files are not deleted. And ofcourse i think it is better not to append the default css content on the first line of the css file.

thank you
useme
Forumember

Male Posts : 79
Language : Greek

http://www.cosmopeople.biz/

Back to top Go down

css submit problems Empty Re: css submit problems

Post by useme November 20th 2007, 9:12 pm

anyone?????
useme
Forumember

Back to top Go down

css submit problems Empty Re: css submit problems

Post by useme November 21st 2007, 8:41 am

Solution:

Well ok i figured a solution to this thing with the default css file not changing! Lets take it from the begining.

When changing into experts mode you can edit your own css file on the editor that the administration panel provides. It also shows to you the file contents. But there is a catch. After pressing the submit button the system automaticly appends the default style as it is on the first line of the css file.

so if you make a few changes on the content of the css that you are viewing you will actualy have everything twice in one file!!!

this is how it looks like the beggining of the css file after it is submited from the editor on the admin panel
Code:
* {margin:0; padding:0;} ...... 

*{margin:0;
padding0;
}

So having tha same content on a file twice it is useless from one point an space inapropriate from the other.

What can you do here... Browsers execute the files with a priority from bottom to top. So if you have two css files on a webpage then, where both have same classes selectors etc but different atributes for each then the second one reading from top to bottom will be the one that will be effective.
It will override the first one readind from top to bottom.

Lets go to the editor now and to our css file.

select all (ctrl+A)content of the css and cut (ctrl+X) it.
Open your notepad
Paste (ctrl+V) the content there and save it on a location to remember

now the editor is empty. Do not submit it because the system will return to its previous content again (same content twice).

leave two lines empty (enter twice)
Add a css comment (you can ride what ever you want, i use overides)

Code:
/*-------- overides ----*/

From now on you will start duplicating the classes selectors etc that you want. Les say you want to change the body background from white to black. this is how it will look like.

Code:

body {background-color: #000000;}

the above will result to:

Code:
*{margin:0;..........

body {background-color: #000000;}

This is an overide of one attribute of one rule of the css file inside the css file. The body rule is appended after the default body rule.

you can do tha same with as many classes selectors rules as you want. remmeber that you do not have to append the whole body rule as it is. You only need the attributes that you need to overide!

thats it!
useme
Forumember

Back to top Go down