The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Personalized Profiles: How to, please!?

Go down

Personalized Profiles: How to, please!? Empty Personalized Profiles: How to, please!?

Post by Guest Sat 22 Dec 2007 - 3:45

I've already set up two fields for my users to add to their profile pages, and I'm pretty adept at understanding the options regarding who can modify said fields on the profile pages; what I don't understand is basically everything else. Embarassed I'm not totally computer illiterate, but I'm not savvy, either. Could someone please tell me what these particular fields can be used for and how to do it? Thank you.

Plain Text
Enriched Text
Contact Text
Date Text
URL Text
An Image
An Element Among a List
An Image Among a List of Preset Images
A Bar

I've used the 'Enriched Text' twice - 1) so members can add an embed code for a video, and 2) so members can add their urls for the signatures to show on their pages. Other than that.. I'm at a loss as to how any of the rest of these work and what all they can be used for. Could someone please give me some examples here, or maybe even add a tutorial to the 'Tips and Tricks' section? Thank you. Smile

Back to top Go down

Personalized Profiles: How to, please!? Empty Re: Personalized Profiles: How to, please!?

Post by zinex Sat 22 Dec 2007 - 9:11

Plain Text - allows members mods or admin to type any text...but no coding.
Enriched Text - as above with coding
Contact Text - allows members to add msn or email etc.
Date Text - allows members to specify dates such as birthdays, marriages etc
URL Text - allows members to add a URL to their blog say or website
An Image - allows members to add any image.
An Element Among a List - i am not sure yet sorry
An Image Among a List of Preset Images - same as above
A Bar - allows you to specify a bar image.
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 2804
Language : scotch och aye!

http://asylum.forumotion.co.uk/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Personalized Profiles: How to, please!? Empty Re: Personalized Profiles: How to, please!?

Post by Guest Sat 22 Dec 2007 - 13:39

Thank you, zinex! Your explanations to each actually make me wonder more why we have options to use that we already have.. like the date and url (other than simply adding extras, I suppose). The bar one still eludes me, tho.. perhaps we can use that as a sort of reputation thing if we set it up to where all members can modify it? Confused Also, with the plain text one.. is this anything like member profile comments, or will the last message left be erased if another member fills in that field on our pages?

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex Sat 22 Dec 2007 - 14:29

for the plain text it will erase and replace with new text. For the bar one it could be used as a reputation but it would need to be modified by admin only as members could easily abuse the system.
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 2804
Language : scotch och aye!

http://asylum.forumotion.co.uk/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Dec 2007 - 5:11

Yes, I noticed that with the bar system. The only thing is.. when I viewed a members page, several hours after creating the bar, there was no way for anyone to alter it, although I had set it for all members. It was just a test thing.. deleted now.

I guess I am just at a loss as to what benefit, or fun, these new little things give us, especially since we can't place where we want on our pages.. they just make the page super long. Oh well.. a pacifier due to our real requests being ignored, I suppose. *sigh*

Thanks again, zinex, for your help. Smile

Back to top Go down