The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A new member's IP info says he was referenced from my INBOX?

2 posters

Go down

A new member's IP info says he was referenced from my INBOX? Empty A new member's IP info says he was referenced from my INBOX?

Post by O.Fan December 23rd 2007, 11:03 pm

I'm sorry, this is not strictly a forum problem, but I'd just like to know if stuff like that can happen and that it doesn't automatically mean someone hacked my email account?

I have IP tracking devices and one of them tells me that someone was referenced to my site by my INBOX address? (I click the link and my inbox comes up, free to visit)

I'll change the password but would just like to know what more (than I) techie guys think?
O.Fan
Forumember

Male Posts : 178
Language : French, English

http://olivianewtonjohn.editboard.com/

Back to top Go down

A new member's IP info says he was referenced from my INBOX? Empty Re: A new member's IP info says he was referenced from my INBOX?

Post by zinex December 23rd 2007, 11:04 pm

when your inbox comes up are you having to log in? have you sent any emails out to people to ask them to join your site?
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 2804
Language : scotch och aye!

http://asylum.forumotion.co.uk/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

A new member's IP info says he was referenced from my INBOX? Empty Re: A new member's IP info says he was referenced from my INBOX?

Post by O.Fan December 24th 2007, 12:31 am

This is what happened:

-I deleted an account where the person never posted.
-I sent an automated letter to inactive members (not including the one who I deleted) to inform them that the board was waiting or their participation. My site's email is different from the one I'm talking about now.
-The following day I get an e-mail warning me of a new user registration.
-It's the same name I deleted.
-On an IP tracking software I have, I find that around that exact time, the same day, someone was on my site. I click the link indicating the referal page (the page which "directed" the person to my site), and it's the inbox of ANOTHER email account (again, not the one associated to my site) that comes up.

The page comes up and you can just click on the various folders and consult them.

There's one member who may know that email and who has been acting a bit strange, and with whom I've had some problems getting along with on another forum.

But that my inbox would come up like that, with my folders easy to consult..:O

I've since changed my password.

Edit: BUT I've just tried clicking the link again, and my inbox comes up. THEN I logged off, from the email account, and only a page requiring my logging on came up- when clicking that link.

But I don't understand how that can be a reference page. My site is not advertised there.

Unless it (the IP tracking) indicates the previous site - any previous site, not necessarily a site which was a reference (has a link) to my site? I always assumed that the page indicated in my IP records had a link which directed the user to a site. That that link had to be clicked for that page to be indicated in the IP tracking. It couldn't just be the previous site the person was on (that would seem like private information).

If it's the person I 'suspect' it could be, she has my site bookmarked. But instead of 'no referral' or 'bookmark' (as I often get from people who have my site bookmarked), I get an indication of that site (email account) as being the place from where that person came.

If there's no link on my email site, she had to use her bookmarks or type the address, etc.

Why would it indicate that address as the referal page?

I'm not an IP wizard, so I may have a lot of questions like that!.. Question ;-)
O.Fan
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by O.Fan December 24th 2007, 7:08 am

I don't want to waste everybody's time with this.

Sorry. The person has a hotmail account and it was a hotmail account I have that's in question. I don't know how this stuff works.
I found out a few references to the person from a keyword search... Not that it helps much but..

I hope my worry is unfounded.

Unless someone has some quick answer, carry on people! Smile
O.Fan
Forumember

Back to top Go down