The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Export Database

+3
piprees
Luky
WoodPusher
7 posters

Go down

Export Database Empty Export Database

Post by WoodPusher January 28th 2008, 5:40 pm

Is it possible to export the database for the forum, so it can be hosted on its own site?

I ask due to the growth being experienced, and need to look into faster screen loads.

The system seems to be lagging out a bit lately.
WoodPusher

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Export Database Empty Re: Export Database

Post by Luky January 28th 2008, 7:13 pm

The database isn't available for exporting.
Luky
Luky
Energetic

Male Posts : 6106
Language : Romanian, English

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest January 29th 2008, 1:48 pm

Luky wrote:The database isn't available for exporting.
Why?

Back to top Go down

Post by Luky January 29th 2008, 2:28 pm

Read Here
Luky
Luky
Energetic

Male Posts : 6106
Language : Romanian, English

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest January 29th 2008, 3:18 pm

Luky wrote:Read H
ere

I've already replied to the above posting saying it would only need a first year law student to pick big holes in this argument as in law it is in fact very flawed.

Back to top Go down

Post by piprees September 18th 2008, 4:45 pm

So let me assess this - does this mean that you are going to refuse to allow me to export information that i and my members have entered into our forum - information that belongs to us?
piprees
Forumember

Male Posts : 57

http://templar.warsforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by piprees September 18th 2008, 4:52 pm

Id like an immediate response to this before our organisation continues to promote and use your services.

Especially considering that almost ALL your competitors offering an exportation service and normally for a nominal fee.

It is our intention to combine our membership data from all the forum providers we use into one central database for the new templar foundation and the online gamers association and to continue to use your services.

The law you are quoting is regarding 3rd party bodies that have nothing to do with the creation of the information and not the information owners, your services is basically a secure vessel to store that information gathered by the developers of that forum. You are the owners of the service vessel providers not the data and information stored within it.

This policy of yours sounds very suspect!
piprees
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by piprees September 18th 2008, 6:16 pm

Ive sent a pm to calhiam about this - its a very important issue and needs dealing with. One of my co directors is even suggesting seeking legal advice.
piprees
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by zakir321 September 19th 2008, 1:01 am

Caihlem has currently some problems with his computer, so he might be unavailable for some time. I suggest to contact Typlo.

I can only say that you have agreed to the Terms of service when signing up:
Data and security
Everything is done to avoid any slowdown or unexpected downtime of the services, but it is not possible to guarantee these slowdowns, or to foresee any downtime. None network or server problem or any other breakdown can be covered under any warranty. None repayment can be considered for any break or stop of the services, damage or data loss. Several systems have been set up to ensure a security of the content. Thus, a backup of the whole data is done everyday. But for any reason, none individual backup or sql dump, database will be provided. Please do take good note that for any evoked reasons, no precise safeguard of a forum, dump, backup of the data will be provided. However, the administrator of the forum has at his disposal, a tool which allows him to use these backups in order to restore his board, such as it was at a previous date.
zakir321

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 19th 2008, 1:15 am

Sunny_D wrote:Caihlem has currently some problems with his computer, so he might be unavailable for some time. I suggest to contact Typlo.

Data and security
Everything is done to avoid any slowdown or unexpected downtime of the services, but it is not possible to guarantee these slowdowns, or to foresee any downtime. None network or server problem or any other breakdown can be covered under any warranty. None repayment can be considered for any break or stop of the services, damage or data loss. Several systems have been set up to ensure a security of the content. Thus, a backup of the whole data is done everyday. But for any reason, none individual backup or sql dump, database will be provided. Please do take good note that for any evoked reasons, no precise safeguard of a forum, dump, backup of the data will be provided. However, the administrator of the forum has at his disposal, a tool which allows him to use these backups in order to restore his board, such as it was at a previous date.
I'm glad you understand it as how it is written is pure nonsense.
Perhaps forumotion could employ an english speaking person with legal knowledge to re do all of these wonders of badly translated french.
Take for instance this line "But for any reason, none individual backup or sql dump, database will be provided." grammatically means you will give anyone the sql dump of your whole server.
I would hate to see a class action brought against forumotion because of bad translation as it could cost them millions.

Back to top Go down

Post by piprees September 19th 2008, 3:49 pm

Sunny_D wrote:Caihlem has currently some problems with his computer, so he might be unavailable for some time. I suggest to contact Typlo.

Data and security

Chailim has problems with his computer - now there is ian inspiration in confidence!! - if he is having trouble why is no one else picking up and dealing with his mail, come on guys your running a professional service here, that simply is not good enough Smile

Now regarding those terms and conditions - you allow import of data into your site from other forum providers exported database - YOU DO NOT OWN OUR INFORMATION - And THAT ladies and gentleman IS THE LAW

Im not trying to be a bastard here, but withholding information and data that does not belong to you doesnt shed a good light on what is otherwise a fine service. NO ONE likes to be forced to take legal action to retrive informaiton - dont make my organisation do so.

Last edited by piprees on September 19th 2008, 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
piprees
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 19th 2008, 3:53 pm

i dont think any free forums like forumatiom will let you have any database, caihlem is only the admin of this forum

Back to top Go down

Post by piprees September 19th 2008, 3:54 pm

Actually they do - i have forums on several free providers and ALL but this one allow export of data.

For example FreeForums.org where i host www.templars.uk.tt charge you $30 usd for a database export.

Last edited by piprees on September 19th 2008, 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
piprees
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 19th 2008, 3:55 pm

tell me which one then Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by piprees September 19th 2008, 3:57 pm

FreeForums.org as an example is one of our providers that allow export
piprees
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 19th 2008, 4:04 pm

well its in the rules when you made a forum with forumation that they wont give you and database,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 19th 2008, 4:52 pm

spook wrote:well its in the rules when you made a forum with forumation that they wont give you and database,
You actually understand the rules as they are set out?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 19th 2008, 4:55 pm

spook wrote:tell me which one then Smile
jcink.com which uses ipb you have the facility in the acp.

Back to top Go down

Post by piprees September 20th 2008, 4:36 pm

spook wrote:well its in the rules when you made a forum with forumation that they wont give you and database,

Terms and conditions of a company do not override the law.
piprees
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by ccuk September 22nd 2008, 1:00 pm

With all the problems, errors, chatbox bugs over the last 2 weeks and now downtime & a days missing posts, wouldn't it be fairer for Forumotion to release the databases of those who need them to move to a more reliable server as a good will gesture.

As their policy stands I couldn't possibly recommend these forums to anyone :/
ccuk

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 22nd 2008, 1:03 pm

I am sorry but we all must "wait out the storm" because they are not giving out the databases.

Drag~

Back to top Go down

Post by snabhi September 22nd 2008, 1:18 pm

this is quite an old problem of forumotion Sad
snabhi
snabhi
Forumember

Male Posts : 122

http://maja.up-with.com

Back to top Go down

Post by piprees September 22nd 2008, 11:45 pm

Doesnt matter to us now, we going elsewhere now before this becomes a serious problem and we effectively give to much data to a third party and if they dont offer to provide us with "OUR" data we will go legal.
piprees
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 22nd 2008, 11:54 pm

as said many times before, you do not have to stay with forumotion, but we are sorry that you had to go.

Forumotion does not provide the databases but they have many better features then every other forum provider which makes us better in the long run.

Drag~

Back to top Go down

Post by Franchise September 23rd 2008, 12:12 am

dragonfir731 wrote:as said many times before, you do not have to stay with forumotion, but we are sorry that you had to go.

Forumotion does not provide the databases but they have many better features then every other forum provider which makes us better in the long run.

Drag~
are you a moderator on here or something? Because Ive seen a lot of your posts and you type like you are some type of Moderator
Franchise
Franchise
Forumember

Male Posts : 188

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 23rd 2008, 12:17 am

Is this topic solved yet? It seems to be getting a bit off-topic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Franchise September 23rd 2008, 12:24 am

not going offtopic at all... I was just asking dragonfir731 a question. But if u feel the need to use your locking abilities, then by all means, do so!
Franchise
Franchise
Forumember

Male Posts : 188

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 23rd 2008, 12:26 am

It was off-topic. What has typing like a moderator got to do with exporting the database? Nothing.

=> Locked

Back to top Go down