Forum, Usergroup, Permissions Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
5 posters

Forum, Usergroup, Permissions

Emman208

Language : English, Tagalog

Solved Forum, Usergroup, Permissions

Post by Emman208 October 7th 2012, 10:56 am

Hiya!

Well, I have seen a forum where I will be added into a certain usergroup and I would suddenly see a hidden forum that only the usergroup and Admins can see. I have tried doing this. I fiddled around with the permissions and all I got was either only the admin can see it and stuff... Or Members/everyone can see it. I want to add a few people to this certain usergroup. And once they are in a selected usergroup, they can see it.
    Member-Cannot see the forum
    Admin (1st Usergroup)- Can see it and post freely, along with moderating it.
    Moderators (2nd)- Can see it and post freely and moderate it.
    Usergroup #3- Can see it and post freely. Cannot moderate.
    Usegroup #4 - Cannot see it.

The forum I made uses phpBB2. Help please! I dont want random people seeing the private discussions we make.

Last edited by Emman208 on October 8th 2012, 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : My mistake.)
    Ramdaman
    Ramdaman
    Active Poster

Male Posts : 1590
    Language : English, Albanian, Macedonian, Russian | HTML, CSS

Solved Re: Forum, Usergroup, Permissions

Post by Ramdaman October 7th 2012, 6:58 pm

If you make a group hidden, no one can see it unless seen via Administration Panel.
    Sir Chivas™
    Sir Chivas™
    Helper
    Helper

Male Posts : 6980
    Language : EN, FR, ES

Post by Sir Chivas™ October 7th 2012, 9:34 pm

Hi,

No, only members can change their permission to be hidden. You can't place the whole group hidden. If you do, no staff members nor regular members will be able to see the group nor the color of the group. It won't show on the legend.
    Rii SouL
    Rii SouL
    Forumember

Female Posts : 43
    Language : Englis-Spanish

Post by Rii SouL October 8th 2012, 5:08 am

Hello Emman208

Lets see if I understood correctly and I can be of some assistance.
    1. As for hidden groups, to my understanding users themselves can choose to hide. But you can also create a group and hide it, this is is done through:
    Admin Panel > Users & Groups > Groups Administration > Create new group: Here, once fields for your new group are filled to your choice > where it says "Group Status" there are 3 choices, so to hide your chosen group, you tick "hidden group".
    Just remember this group then will not be able to be seen by the users.

2. Now what I believe you were really asking is how to make a hidden section form all users. I myself have a section on my forum only available to certain groups. This is easily achieved through:
    Admin Panel > General > Forum > Categories & Forums > tick on Add right under Actions > create your category (ei. Restricted Area) > create your forums within this category (for the business to be discussed with your special groups). Then go to > Perms
    Now this next step is very important to make sure no one but the groups you chose are the only ones able to see these. For every forum section you create in this specific area you need to make sure you go to the permissions tab or ( Perms ) make sure you tick on "Advance Mode" and there only tick on the groups you want to have access to the specific forum.
    There you also give the perms to just read, read and write, etc. (you can do this with all your category forums). But they need to be done individually. Once you're done remember to click save for each forum immediately after modifying it. So you don't suffer what I did when I gave it my first try Embarassed tongue

3. Regardless the Group or Number (group number) a member is in, doesn't really make a difference as to what they have access to. With the exception of the Administrators Group of course. You make the difference by the permissions you grant each group or individual member. Though I completely understood your legend about the groups and their permissions. So you can use the steps I showed you above for the "Restricted Area" as a base for each group in your group legend, granting them only the permissions you want them to have. The only downside of this is that you need to do this for each individually making sure you save after hehe. (you can modify each group as you create the forum itself, this will save you a little bit of time and frustration, lol)

Well I really hope this is helpful to you.

Regards, Wink
    Rii
    Emman208

Language : English, Tagalog

Post by Emman208 October 8th 2012, 8:39 am

Oops. Yeah Edited Op. Made a mistake xD. Meant I was ina usergroup and found a HIDDEN FORUM that only the people in the usergroup (+Admin, Mods)
    can see.
    Edit: Problem Solved Thanks to Rii
    Jophy
    Jophy
    ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17922
    Language : English

Post by Jophy October 8th 2012, 9:47 am

Topic Solved & Locked