I Hope This Aint A Dumb Question But... Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
5 posters

I Hope This Aint A Dumb Question But...

siteadmin
    Forumember

Male Posts : 46
    Language : english

I Hope This Aint A Dumb Question But... Empty I Hope This Aint A Dumb Question But...

Post by siteadmin February 14th 2008, 1:44 pm

I was on a friend of mines forum and he said that he and his Administrators are able to view his members Private Messages without actually changing the users password. I dont know exactly which forums he is using but, is that possible with these forums? If so, how is it done?

Reason Im asking is that from time to time, I would like to check the PM's to make sure that they are not violating the TOS behind the scenes.

Thanks for any help on this matter Cool
    zink77
    Forumember

I Hope This Aint A Dumb Question But... Empty Re: I Hope This Aint A Dumb Question But...

Post by zink77 February 14th 2008, 1:58 pm

I'm not a Forumotion staff but I know that checking user's private messeges isn't possible! You can see their IP adress but it doesn't get more personal than that I think.
    siteadmin
    Forumember

I Hope This Aint A Dumb Question But... Empty Re: I Hope This Aint A Dumb Question But...

Post by siteadmin February 14th 2008, 2:05 pm

thats what I figured, but I just thought Id throw that out there since one of my buddy's has his own forum and he stated to me that its possible on his forum
    Shadow
    Shadow
    Manager
    Manager

Male Posts : 16217
    Language : French, English

Post by Shadow February 14th 2008, 2:13 pm

This isn't possible on Forumotion, I wonder where this could be possible as it sounds kind like an infraction in people privacy scratch
    siteadmin
    Forumember

Post by siteadmin February 14th 2008, 2:20 pm

yeah it does doesnt it? Maybe he was just joking with me but I just thought Id ask.

Hey Typlo, I sent you a PM yesterday or 2 days ago, did you recieve it?
    Shadow
    Shadow
    Manager
    Manager

Male Posts : 16217
    Language : French, English

Post by Shadow February 14th 2008, 2:33 pm

I've got many PMs to treat, but any technical questions about your forums must be done in public, no private support will be done.
    siteadmin
    Forumember

Post by siteadmin February 14th 2008, 2:52 pm

it wasnt really a tech question... it was a complaint about one of your Moderators.

I thought it would be better to PM it to you rather than posting it publicly
    4779jjc
    4779jjc
    Forumember

Female Posts : 72
    Language : English

Post by 4779jjc February 14th 2008, 3:05 pm

It is possible and relatively easy, however the the Administrator/Mod (depending on permissions) will have to know the password in order to access a members messages or via another method which i will not disclose via an open forum etc.

For example, if a member was to receive any abusive e-mails, the only way of giving clear evidence of the abusive messages would be for a member of staff to be given consent to access those messages or the simple procedure of "Print Screen" .
    (perhaps a suggestion of the Forwarding option via private messages for members.)

Another possibility would be that the member of which has had their messages allegedly read may of dropped a few hints in regards to their password enabling it to be relatively easy to login as them and so on.

The possibilities are endless.

But to do it without the consent etc is extremely deceitful and extremely wrong of an Admin / Member of staff in deed.

I would also be cautious of becoming a member of the forum that has done what you have mentioned too.

Best Regards

JJC
    siteadmin
    Forumember

Post by siteadmin February 14th 2008, 3:22 pm

blackeye
    Birgitte
    Birgitte
    Forumember

Female Posts : 68
    Language : danish - english

Post by Birgitte February 14th 2008, 3:32 pm

I have been a Admin on a forum, where it was easy to read members PB.
    I got the forum from a friend, and it was the mening that I should have run it, but after I found out that it was posible to read PB, I change to forumotion forum instead.
    It's a forum like this: Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
    siteadmin
    Forumember

Post by siteadmin February 14th 2008, 3:43 pm

hmm... blackeye