The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Have A Question About Copyright

3 posters

Go down

In progress I Have A Question About Copyright

Post by MonzterSlayer August 19th 2013, 4:05 am

The question i have is say if someone uploads a image that he didn't make in one of the sections of my sight or say someone uploads music to a section of my sight would i get sued if i don't see it and/or don't take the post off my site?
MonzterSlayer

Language : English

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: I Have A Question About Copyright

Post by Derri August 19th 2013, 4:19 am

It generally depends if that person is taking credit for the work/has asked permission to have it uploaded.

For example if you hosted a youtube video with music that would be fine. However I think if you posted music in a different format you could be in trouble.

As for graphics I think as long as you aren't taking someones work which they've strictly copyrighted and you're not taking credit for that work then you should be fine.
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 8755
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by MonzterSlayer August 19th 2013, 4:23 am

Derri wrote:It generally depends if that person is taking credit for the work/has asked permission to have it uploaded.

For example if you hosted a youtube video with music that would be fine. However I think if you posted music in a different format you could be in trouble.

As for graphics I think as long as you aren't taking someones work which they've strictly copyrighted and you're not taking credit for that work then you should be fine.
Well if it was one of the members of my site would i get a warning or no?
MonzterSlayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri August 19th 2013, 4:31 am

Well as an administrator you're responsible for what your members post up. If copyrighted content is posted then you won't be given a warning straight away, in fact it is possible you won't get a warning if it isn't discovered or reported but you do need to be cautious about this.

As administrator you should make it your duty to ensure your members don't post copyrighted content.

So to answer your question simply: Yes, you would even if it was your members as you're forum owner and therefore responsible.

You wouldn't be sued by the way your forum could be subject to a warning/being shut down.
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by MonzterSlayer August 19th 2013, 4:53 am

Derri wrote:Well as an administrator you're responsible for what your members post up. If copyrighted content is posted then you won't be given a warning straight away, in fact it is possible you won't get a warning if it isn't discovered or reported but you do need to be cautious about this.

As administrator you should make it your duty to ensure your members don't post copyrighted content.

So to answer your question simply: Yes, you would even if it was your members as you're forum owner and therefore responsible.

You wouldn't be sued by the way your forum could be subject to a warning/being shut down.
Wel it says i can be sued here https://help.forumotion.com/t108-plagiarism-image-theft-copyright-royalties
MonzterSlayer

Back to top Go down

Post by MonzterSlayer August 19th 2013, 4:56 am

Also is this allowed?It may have copyrighted music i think https://help.forumotion.com/t112787-seamless-music-player
MonzterSlayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri August 19th 2013, 4:57 am

Well yes you could but that's very unlikely. I've seen forums be shutdown for copyright and they've never been sued.

So its in the realm of possibility but alas is unlikely
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Chivas™ August 19th 2013, 5:01 am

MonzterSlayer wrote:
Derri wrote:Well as an administrator you're responsible for what your members post up. If copyrighted content is posted then you won't be given a warning straight away, in fact it is possible you won't get a warning if it isn't discovered or reported but you do need to be cautious about this.

Wel it says i can be sued here https://help.forumotion.com/t108-plagiarism-image-theft-copyright-royalties
MonzterSlayer wrote:Also is this allowed?It may have copyrighted music i think https://help.forumotion.com/t112787-seamless-music-player

Hi,

Please don't double/triple post. Your post need to be separated by 24 hours before bumping, replying or adding more information. Please use the edit button instead!

Regarding to your questions, if the owner of the images, codes, etc., can choose to sue you or not. However, you can be sued. Your second question: It has all copyrighted, but it can be allowed since no one from forumotion is taking credit for this, however, the music used is part of their service, they have to buy the music in order to let others use it. Also, it's an open source, so do not worry. (In other words, its free).
Sir Chivas™
Sir Chivas™
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 6983
Language : EN, FR, ES

https://aforums.org

Back to top Go down

Post by MonzterSlayer August 19th 2013, 5:06 am

So does that basically mean if even my user post, lets say a picture and they take credit for it and they didn't make it i would still be able to be sued?
MonzterSlayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri August 19th 2013, 5:08 am

I can't be sure on that front,

But you can do a check for this to make sure his work is genuinely his.

if you go to: http://www.google.com/imghp

Take the image in question and drag it into the search bar then if any results come up on other websites then you have good enough suspicion that the work he has posted is copied unless of course he can prove otherwise.
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by MonzterSlayer August 19th 2013, 5:10 am

Derri wrote:I can't be sure on that front,

if you go to:  http://www.google.com/imghp

Take the image in question and drag it into the search bar then if any results come up on other websites then you have good enough suspicion that the work he has posted is copied unless of course he can prove otherwise.
Ok do have any suggested settings for my forum to try to stop people from being able to put copyrighted things on my forum?
MonzterSlayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Chivas™ August 19th 2013, 5:10 am

The forum can receive a warning, they will give a certain amount of time to remove all of the content: which can be codes, images, etc.. After all of that is removed, and the time has due, they will let you know if you are clear if not they'll shut your forum down.

No there isn't any settings, that will be your moderators jobs, they can ask for more info such as PSD files and such to see if they're the owners of those images or whatsoever.
Sir Chivas™
Sir Chivas™
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by MonzterSlayer August 19th 2013, 5:12 am

Sir Chivas™ wrote:The forum can receive a warning, they will give a certain amount of time to remove all of the content: which can be codes, images, etc.. After all of that is removed, and the time has due, they will let you know if you are clear if not they'll shut your forum down.
Ok well that makes me feel a little better lol but when are the times i can get sued?
MonzterSlayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Chivas™ August 19th 2013, 5:14 am

Usually users or guest have an option of the footer, which is report an abuse. Those reports will be received in the administration panel, after that it's up to the administrators to take care of these issues, if not then the guest or users can take the next step to either sue you or take further action.
Sir Chivas™
Sir Chivas™
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri August 19th 2013, 5:14 am

MonzterSlayer wrote:
Derri wrote:I can't be sure on that front,

if you go to:  http://www.google.com/imghp

Ok do have any suggested settings for my forum to try to stop people from being able to put copyrighted things on my forum?
Not really, just being vigilant. You can't stop people posting things on your forum. If you hire moderators they can be instructed to be on the lookout and perform searches how I described above when people post up work and claim it as their own.

I think the times where you might be sued would be if the owner of the images wished to file legal charges but this usually won't happen.
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by MonzterSlayer August 19th 2013, 5:15 am

Sir Chivas™ wrote:Usually users or guest have an option of the footer, which is report an abuse. Those reports will be received in the administration panel, after that it's up to the administrators to take care of these issues, if not then the guest or users can take the next step to either sue you or take further action.
Ok is there a way i can make it send me an email when i get a notification?
MonzterSlayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri August 19th 2013, 5:17 am

MonzterSlayer wrote:
Sir Chivas™ wrote:Usually users or guest have an option of the footer, which is report an abuse. Those reports will be received in the administration panel, after that it's up to the administrators to take care of these issues, if not then the guest or users can take the next step to either sue you or take further action.
As far as I am aware no. However when you open up the admin panel you'll see a notification.
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by MonzterSlayer August 19th 2013, 5:18 am

Derri wrote:
MonzterSlayer wrote:
Sir Chivas™️ wrote:Usually users or guest have an option of the footer, which is report an abuse. Those reports will be received in the administration panel, after that it's up to the administrators to take care of these issues, if not then the guest or users can take the next step to either sue you or take further action.
As far as I am aware no. However when you open up the admin panel you'll see a notification.
Alright thanks for everyone's help Smile
MonzterSlayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Chivas™ August 19th 2013, 5:18 am

I don't think so, probably you receive them automatically. However, you can check here often: ACP >> Miscs >> Reported abuses.
Sir Chivas™
Sir Chivas™
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down