The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum BAckups?

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Forum BAckups? Empty Forum BAckups?

Post by jasonp February 25th 2008, 10:52 am

isit possible to make a backup of my forum? incase i move host later or something? ano this is a good host but i dont like hosting that doesnt allow you to backup :S
jasonp

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Forum BAckups? Empty Re: Forum BAckups?

Post by Shadow February 25th 2008, 10:56 am

You can backup your forum using the rescue tools :
https://www.forumotion.com/en/utils

But there is no way to move your forum on another host.
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Post by jasonp February 25th 2008, 11:00 am

well i like this hosting ive been playing around for awhile its ace with all features but if i stay as a member for over a year surely we can backup? please?

and isit possible to restore phpbb3 backups from another hosting to forumotion?
jasonp

Back to top Go down

Post by jasonp February 25th 2008, 11:41 am

sorry to bump but i need clarification please
jasonp

Back to top Go down

Post by Luky February 25th 2008, 12:15 pm

All the Forumotion forums are automatically backed-up every day, but you can't download a back-up, you have to use the link that Typlo posted if you want to restore your forum.
Luky
Luky
Energetic

Male Posts : 6106
Language : Romanian, English

Back to top Go down

Post by jasonp February 25th 2008, 1:33 pm

you say downloading backups is a security risk how? you do it everyday as it is said above ^^
jasonp

Back to top Go down

Post by Luky February 25th 2008, 2:33 pm

All the back-ups are stored on Forumotion servers but are not available for download. You can restore your forum by accessing your account Here. To log in use:
User name:Use creation email or your forum’s Internet address
Password : Password used in creation.'
Luky
Luky
Energetic

Male Posts : 6106
Language : Romanian, English

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 25th 2008, 2:33 pm

jasonp wrote:you say downloading backups is a security risk how? you do it everyday as it is said above ^^
Someone with the same attitude as me, don't accept can't ask why?
I salute you salut

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex February 25th 2008, 2:45 pm

back ups for download are not available. There doesnt have to be a reason, forumotion states this in their terms and services that you agree to on sign up. There are many free forum providers that are the same, and some that arent.

I also dont see anyone saying downloading back ups is a security risk. Smile
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 2804
Language : scotch och aye!

http://asylum.forumotion.co.uk/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 25th 2008, 2:48 pm

Luky wrote:All the Forumotion forums are automatically backed-up every day, but you can't download a back-up, you have to use the link that Typlo posted if you want to restore your forum.

Why?
And none of the cut and paste link to a very very flawed legal argument page.
How about a written answer by the admins clarifying the situation fully (and yet again the page giving out Canadian law is actually saying the member has the right to download not as forumotion seem to think gives forumotion the right to hang on to the databases).
I've only been using and studying international data law a for a little time, 26 years.
Please can we as members have the real reason we cannot access the databases once and for all.
Not.
1. They're not compatible with phpbb (How are they running on phpbb then?) I have also been coding for over 26 years.
2. A link to a page quoting Canadian law. (which states the creator of the database shall have full ownership of same ) forumotion in law are only the storage medium not the creators, the members are the creators.
3. A full reason posted by the admins may stop all posts of this nature.
Over to you admins.

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex February 25th 2008, 3:02 pm

how about number 4...that forumotion simply chooses not to offer this feature? If by law they are required to do so, why not take it up and see what happens? I am not meaning to be fickle, but i actually do suspect this is the reason (from a personal point of view, not as a staff member).

I dont understand why people choose to sign up to a free forum provider (not just talking about forumotion here i have used many free forum providers) and agree to these terms and conditions, then get upset because they cant get what they were told they would not be able to on sign up. Thats like going to a restaurant, seeing whats on the menu, but ordering something that isnt on there...and it falls to the resturant wether they will do it for you or not.

I like the fact that forumotion is not one of these that accepts payment in return for a back up, the rule is the same for one and all.

Anyhow thats just my personal opinion on it, and i will happily alert typlo to this thread to see if he may clarify the situation from a proper forumotion stance Smile
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow February 25th 2008, 3:04 pm

You accepted those Terms Of Service when creating your forum :

Data and security
Everything is done to avoid any slowdown or unexpected downtime of the services, but it is not possible to guarantee these slowdowns, or to foresee any downtime. None network or server problem or any other breakdown can be covered under any warranty. None repayment can be considered for any break or stop of the services, damage or data loss. Several systems have been set up to ensure a security of the content. Thus, a backup of the whole data is done everyday. But for any reason, none individual backup or sql dump, database will be provided. Please do take good note that for any evoked reasons, no precise safeguard of a forum, dump, backup of the data will be provided. However, the administrator of the forum has at his disposal, a tool which allows him to use these backups in order to restore his board, such as it was at a previous date.

These rules have been effective since Forumotion creation, a tutorial is available here :
https://help.forumotion.com/juridical-tutorials-f40/forumotion-s-forum-databases-t6668.htm
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Post by 4779jjc February 25th 2008, 3:14 pm

badger11 wrote:
Luky wrote:All the Forumotion forums are automatically backed-up every day, but you can't download a back-up, you have to use the link that Typlo posted if you want to restore your forum.

Why?
And none of the cut and paste link to a very very flawed legal argument page.
How about a written answer by the admins clarifying the situation fully (and yet again the page giving out Canadian law is actually saying the member has the right to download not as forumotion seem to think gives forumotion the right to hang on to the databases).
I've only been using and studying international data law a for a little time, 26 years.
Please can we as members have the real reason we cannot access the databases once and for all.
Not.
1. They're not compatible with phpbb (How are they running on phpbb then?) I have also been coding for over 26 years.
2. A link to a page quoting Canadian law. (which states the creator of the database shall have full ownership of same ) forumotion in law are only the storage medium not the creators, the members are the creators.
3. A full reason posted by the admins may stop all posts of this nature.
Over to you admins.

I'm with Badger on this, many times i have questioned this and it is ignored despite being read hundreds of times, locked, removed and so on. We work flat out in order to get our forums recognized and make it the forum we long for it to be etc only to be told that we will never own the content within. It's greatly unfair and unjustified. This is run via Phpbb where everyone can download the forum software for free in order to run independently. Therefore i do not see the what the problem is in regards to those that take the step of running an independent forum of their own and wanting to take THEIR Forum Content with them. The security issue/excuses etc a is load of nonsense. It's free and we are grateful for that, but there comes a time when members wish to again be independent once they become more knowledgeable in regards to the world of phpbb/html etc codes. In your areas you may be able to pull the wool over peoples eyes but within the United Kingdom/etc you have no chance. We are greatly aware and up to date with a vast amount of things in the computer technology world. To let someone have their data within their forum is something you need to start pulling yourselves together on, because no one wants to work flat out on making their website into something positive and giving you all the advertisement in return, only to have to face the that at some point things could go horribly wrong and Forumotion will basically stab them in the back by saying "Thanks for you time with us, (not even that) but all that hard work you did with your forum... It's not yours... Its ours". Leaving members feeling greatly misguided and hurt in regards to this behavior. It's wrong and i suggest it's high time it got sorted, because it won't be long before members start becoming aware of the goings on and start questioning and doubting their service with Forumotion.
4779jjc
4779jjc
Forumember

Female Posts : 72
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex February 25th 2008, 3:20 pm

4779jjc wrote:. In your areas you may be able to pull the wool over peoples eyes but within the United Kingdom/etc you have no chance. We are greatly aware and up to date with a vast amount of things in the computer technology world. To let someone have their data within their forum is something you need to start pulling yourselves together on, because no one wants to work flat out on making their website into something positive and giving you all the advertisement in return, only to have to face the that at some point things could go horribly wrong and Forumotion will basically stab them in the back by saying "Thanks for you time with us, (not even that) but all that hard work you did with your forum... It's not yours... Its ours". .

Forumotion doesnt pull the wool over anyones eyes, reasons aside, it cleary states in the terms and conditions that this is not offered and that you dont actually own your database, forumotion does, if you didnt read them before signing up, or you did and ignored it, thats unfortunate. I also have a large forum with forumotion, and although i am saddened that we may not have downloads, i was fully aware of this on signing up, therefore i dont believe, i or anyone else whom knowlegably agreed to the terms and conditions have any right to argue for it...as has been already stated there is some free forums out there that do offer back up downloads...and most dont Smile
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 25th 2008, 3:24 pm

zinex wrote:how about number 4...that forumotion simply chooses not to offer this feature? If by law they are required to do so, why not take it up and see what happens? I am not meaning to be fickle, but i actually do suspect this is the reason (from a personal point of view, not as a staff member).
You are absolutely right as typlo's link took me straight to the very flawed law quote.
One that a first year law student could easily pull to pieces.
If I had the time and money I could win the case but what would be the point?
I am posting this because all it would take is a spoilt brat rich kid with an attitude and basic knowledge of the data law to close down forumotion and none of us want his to happen do we.
The opening quote is all that would be needed "THE PRODUCERS OF THE DATABASE" these are not as forumotion think themselves but in fact they are the members of the respective forums.
I am trying to help forumotion with my advice, but all I am getting is terms and conditions, right shall we have a short law tutorial? you park in a car park your car is broken into yet there is a notice (TOS) saying we shall not be held responsible for any loss or damage.
Who pays for the damage? guess what despite the terms and conditions posted in the car parks the car park owners are responsible under law.
This is possibly my last post on this subject as it is going nowhere and the only answer seems to be "NON" so ce la vie.

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex February 25th 2008, 3:33 pm

badger11 wrote:
zinex wrote:how about number 4...that forumotion simply chooses not to offer this feature? If by law they are required to do so, why not take it up and see what happens? I am not meaning to be fickle, but i actually do suspect this is the reason (from a personal point of view, not as a staff member).
You are absolutely right as typlo's link took me straight to the very flawed law quote.
One that a first year law student could easily pull to pieces.
If I had the time and money I could win the case but what would be the point?
I am posting this because all it would take is a spoilt brat rich kid with an attitude and basic knowledge of the data law to close down forumotion and none of us want his to happen do we.
The opening quote is all that would be needed "THE PRODUCERS OF THE DATABASE" these are not as forumotion think themselves but in fact they are the members of the respective forums.
I am trying to help forumotion with my advice, but all I am getting is terms and conditions, right shall we have a short law tutorial? you park in a car park your car is broken into yet there is a notice (TOS) saying we shall not be held responsible for any loss or damage.
Who pays for the damage? guess what despite the terms and conditions posted in the car parks the car park owners are responsible under law.
This is possibly my last post on this subject as it is going nowhere and the only answer seems to be "NON" so ce la vie.

I would doubt that it would result in forumotion being closed down, rather than being ordered to release the backups, however i am not a law student, nor intend on being one! (far too brainy for me!) I think the back ups is a very grey area regarding free forum providers but terms and conditions do count for something and i am suprised that i myself have never heard or come across anyone taking a free forum provider to court for having their data released...i am sure in the many years these providers have been about someone must have attempted it.

On a slightly different vein, but it still relates to this thread, what do you do when a member requests everything she or he has ever posted on your forum, to be deleted. do you say...oh thats my property, sorry, or do you do as they request? I know many many admins whom would happily say, my back up is mine, but deny their own member the right to effectively do the same thing. Perhaps with forumotion, keeping member databases is for a similar reason why admin dont like to have to remove all 5000 odd of a members posts...because it causes unnecessary disruption, so its simpler just to stick a term in that they dont allow this. Again just my own thoughts not as a staff member, as mods dont get told all that much either Very Happy
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 25th 2008, 3:45 pm

You are absolutely right , if a member asks for all of their posts to be removed then yes under law you have to. (pain isn't it)
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex February 25th 2008, 3:52 pm

Are you certain of that? i am fairly sure it is yet again another grey area, just like the back ups. If you state in your rules that anything posted on a site is yours, and members agree to those rules on sign up, how can they contest it? I imagine this is what makes it a grey area, same as back ups, that members willingly do do this...what would they say in court? oh yes i did read that, and i did agree to it at the time...but i dont now? my understanding of the law is there is pretty much loop holes around everything, and even verbal agreements can actually count for something, depending on the lawyers and the judge.

anyways, i doubt the stance with forumotion will change but you never know perhaps what ever reasons forumotion has for not allowing it will change in the future. Smile
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 25th 2008, 4:05 pm

We can but hope Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by jasonp February 25th 2008, 6:02 pm

its all a scam to keep you with forumotion but so lets say in the long wrong forumotion charges people to start a forum and people cant afford it they lose the forum :S thats what pissing me off once you sign up build a good community you update rules which customers cant do and make them lose everything
jasonp

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex February 25th 2008, 6:07 pm

i feel like a parrot Laughing

The only way it can be a scam or fooling people is if forumotion didnt have it in the terms that you agree to when you sign up...as it does, it is not a scam or anything else, members make the choice to sign up to a free forum that states it doesnt offer back up.

If you can dispute this go ahead, but saying its a scam etc is just nonsense. Smile
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by jasonp February 25th 2008, 6:10 pm

well lets say i made a forum over 500members loads of posts bla bla and i want to move forum? what do i do? lose the forum?

id be very happy to be something like 20dollars to have a copy of the backup some free web hosting sites do that and it works well i seriously would use forumotion if they could give us a simple option !!
IM NOT TRYING TO CAUSE TROUBLE I JUST WANT A ANSWER Smile

thanks
jasonp

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex February 25th 2008, 6:19 pm

yes you would lose the forum, its something you should always consider before signing up to a forum that doesnt provide back ups, many free forums dont, i have lost mine before from not planning before joining a host and then becoming unhappy with them and not being able to access a back up, however i didnt complain...because i knew this when i signed up Wink

Some do offer a back up for payment, and like i say maybe its something forumotion will consider in the future, but for now, as it has always been according to admin it doesnt.
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by jasonp February 25th 2008, 6:23 pm

well then i give this a miss hope this gets added soon i would considering using this forum host but losing a backup/not being able to backup is a big issue
jasonp

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex February 25th 2008, 6:26 pm

you are able to back up at any time, using www.forumotion.com/en/utils the only thing you cant do is actually download your back up.
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by jasonp February 25th 2008, 6:37 pm

yeh ano that but i want to be able to download a backup for myself aswell
jasonp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 26th 2008, 1:33 pm

Typlo wrote:

But there is no way to move your forum on another host.
Wrong! you can move it member by member and post by post it would take a while but it could be done. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 26th 2008, 1:41 pm

Typlo wrote:You accepted those Terms Of Service when creating your forum :

Data and security
Everything is done to avoid any slowdown or unexpected downtime of the services, but it is not possible to guarantee these slowdowns, or to foresee any downtime. None network or server problem or any other breakdown can be covered under any warranty. None repayment can be considered for any break or stop of the services, damage or data loss. Several systems have been set up to ensure a security of the content. Thus, a backup of the whole data is done everyday. But for any reason, none individual backup or sql dump, database will be provided. Please do take good note that for any evoked reasons, no precise safeguard of a forum, dump, backup of the data will be provided. However, the administrator of the forum has at his disposal, a tool which allows him to use these backups in order to restore his board, such as it was at a previous date.

These rules have been effective since Forumotion creation, a tutorial is available here :
https://help.forumotion.com/juridical-tutorials-f40/forumotion-s-forum-databases-t6668.htm

"but for any reason, none individual backup or sql dump, database will be provided."
Forumotion really need a member of staff that can translate French into real English as this sentence says backups allbeit non individual WILL be provided. (sorry couldn't resist it, evil lawyer laugh in the background).
Yes I did pass my finals with an "A"

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex February 26th 2008, 2:01 pm

Please do take good note that for any evoked reasons, no precise safeguard of a forum, dump, backup of the data will be provided.
and this says it wont. most english speaking people know what 'none' means Smile
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 26th 2008, 2:05 pm

zinex wrote:
Please do take good note that for any evoked reasons, no precise safeguard of a forum, dump, backup of the data will be provided.
and this says it wont. most english speaking people know what 'none' means Smile
Sorry just celebrating passing my bar exam (and picking holes in badly written English rules is sort of a speciality of mine)

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next