PRO LEVEL: Accept only a certain domain (email) upon registration. Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PRO LEVEL: Accept only a certain domain (email) upon registration.

In progress PRO LEVEL: Accept only a certain domain (email) upon registration.

Post by Guest February 15th 2014, 8:25 am

Hi,

I'm creating a new site. Sorry I won't be sharing the link to it. I know I can ban certain email adresses using the asterix (ie: *@gmail.com), but what about having users from a certain domain registered only (!) and leaving no one else to be able to sign up? (ie.: *.whatever.com being able to sign up only!). Appreciate any solutions or very good suggestions!

Regards,

Sammy.

PS.: I really need this feature to be in place before I can continue building my website! A "no-no-can't-be-done" won't be acceptable! Sorry if this ticket will be standing for a long time!
    Derri
    Derri
    Helper
    Helper

Male Posts : 8755
    Language : English & Basic French

In progress Re: PRO LEVEL: Accept only a certain domain (email) upon registration.

Post by Derri February 15th 2014, 12:17 pm

SamanthaS wrote:

PS.: I really need this feature to be in place before I can continue building my website! A "no-no-can't-be-done" won't be acceptable! Sorry if this ticket will be standing for a long time!

Well I don't know how to break the news to you. I'll try and use my best bedside manner

*clears throat*

Hello, SamanthaS

I don't know how to break this to you. But I'm afraid it isn't good news.

This feature isn't available on Forumotion. The only way to narrow it down is by what you suggested, blocking specific email addresses.

You can ban certain email address in the ban control options. However only allowing a specific email address to sign up isn't a feature we have.

In progress Re: PRO LEVEL: Accept only a certain domain (email) upon registration.

Post by Guest February 16th 2014, 12:09 pm

Hmm.... that's not the news I was looking for. Since it's not a FM feature, is there any chance of:

- Adding it to the FM ACP as a feature?
    - Having a JS to control it? Like a "block all, except..." or a JS that reads the input line at registration and drops a registration when it isn't "... @something.com".

Meanwhile I dropped the same question on Avacweb. So, let's see if anyone comes up with a bright idea.
    Derri
    Derri
    Helper
    Helper

Male Posts : 8755
    Language : English & Basic French

Post by Derri February 16th 2014, 2:16 pm

Samantha I should probably inform you that apart from The Godfather and Buttercup we staff here don't have any direct connection to Forumotion. We are all volunteers and we do our best to provide support. We can't influence what features go into Forumotion.

Therefore the only option is to add a suggestion to the suggestions section.

This is support forum where we give support for people who need it. We don't deal directly with suggestion so when you say

- Adding it to the FM ACP as a feature?

It might be possible, but we directly can't add something in. Its the technicians job to implement new features so asking us doesn't really accomplish anything.

Hmm.... that's not the news I was looking for

When you say things like the above, it sounds somewhat arrogant because we can't do anything. If a feature isn't on FM we can't fashion one out thin air to please everyone.

We are support forum and volunteer staff who give up our time in order to help members. But at the end of the day we can't add new features or sway the decision of new features.

Maybe someone can fashion a code like Javascript but then I could easily bypass that by turning Javascript off on my browser. So at the end of the day unless it is a core feature it can bypassed.

Post by Guest February 16th 2014, 6:47 pm

Thanks for explaining that part about FM and you guys. I didn't know you're not directly related to FM. I'm sorry if I sounded a bit hasty (in other posts as well), it was certainly not meant rude or arrogant in any way, I don't like you to be suggestive that way. You don't know me, and neither do I know you. I want to stay friends on here, cuz we can help eachother out on some things. I'm not just being a copycat, you must understand. There's certainly a difference in my writing compared to a decade ago; I don't speak native English anymore, eventhough I lived in the US until the beginning of my teenage years. Expressing myself gets harder each day. I'm just trying to get a move on, yk, and get my ideas shared here, innovations, some great ideas. I think my suggestion will turn out to be a very nice feature added to the standards here. I (can) work hard on tuning my board(s) during the weekends, so thats when I wanna make some progress.

I will check the "Suggestions" section to have my idea added there in order to get a chance to help others too, soon. It's a serious security issue I got with my idea setting up a new forum and I cannot continue untill this gets sorted out. People are relying on getting this done anywhere soon. Hope you understand what I'm aiming at. Thank you!

I'm not the brightest at JS, CSS suits me way better and I really like CSS, but I got a JS registration validation script running on my page where one has to enter a solution to a very simple add equation, just to make sure no bots are signing up, next to the Gotcha checksum or whatever it's called. I think this is where we could start by altering some:

Code:
    if (window.location.pathname == "/register") {
                $(function () {
                    var a = $("fieldset.submit-buttons input").get();
                    a[0].style.display = "none";
                    $(a[0]).before('<div style="text-align: center;">3 + 7 = <input id="answer" type="text" /> <input type="button" value="Reply" onClick="validate(this)" />')
                })
            }
            function validate(a) {
                if (/^(10|ten)$/i.test(document.getElementById("answer").value)) {
                    a.parentNode.nextSibling.style.display = "block";
                    a.parentNode.style.display = "none"
                } else {
                    alert("Incorrect answer.");
                    a.previousSibling.value = ""
                }
            };

You mentioned switching off Java in a browser, to bypass security. That scares me. I will check that one out with some good friends lateron. It really bugs me.

Sammy.