The forum of the forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The forum of the forums
4 posters

Is there a way to prevent members who didn't make a post to see it?

Sirenapples
    Sirenapples

Female Posts : 15
    Language : English

Solved Is there a way to prevent members who didn't make a post to see it?

Post by Sirenapples January 28th 2015, 7:39 pm

Firstly,  I don't know where the right section to place this is,  so I may have messed that up.  

I'm trying to create a roleplaying forum.   Being a veteran of many RP forums over the years I can see that a major point of contention and drama is the possessions of other characters.

So I want,  it isn't exactly necessary I suppose,  a way to prevent members who did not make a topic or post from seeing said posts within certain sections.   The only way I can see for now would be entirely new sections and groups per member,  and that's obviously incredibly impractical. 

Example:  Player 1 makes weapons application and submits it for approval or has it up for a week while they work on it,  Player 2 cannot see what Player 1 is working on,  but Staff A can see it and provide help and the necessary approval before it gets moved to an approved applications section.   if Player 1 needs to reveal the information on said items,  she can copy it and paste it elsewhere but until then Player 2 can know no more than what their character sees or hears about in-character.

Is there any way to make this possible?

Last edited by Sirenapples on January 28th 2015, 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Derri
    Derri
    Helper
    Helper

Male Posts : 8711
    Language : English & Basic French

Solved Re: Is there a way to prevent members who didn't make a post to see it?

Post by Derri January 28th 2015, 8:30 pm

Well the one thing you could do is create a new group, mark it as 'hidden' and then under Group auto-subscribe tick the yes box and then set the number of posts. Then you set the permissions up in the forum and select what groups can see the forum in question.

I'm not sure if that solves exactly what you're wanting but it would be the closest thing. You might want to check out this tutorial : https://help.forumotion.com/t38399-restricted-forums
    Sirenapples
    Sirenapples

Female Posts : 15

Post by Sirenapples January 28th 2015, 8:35 pm

Derri wrote:Well the one thing you could do is create a new group, mark it as 'hidden' and then under Group auto-subscribe tick the yes box and then set the number of posts. Then you set the permissions up in the forum and select what groups can see the forum in question.

I'm not sure if that solves exactly what you're wanting but it would be the closest thing. You might want to check out this tutorial : https://help.forumotion.com/t38399-restricted-forums

Doing that is what I was referring to when I mentioned the thing about groups and new sections.     The usefulness of group management is rather limited.
    Derri
    Derri
    Helper
    Helper

Male Posts : 8711
    Language : English & Basic French

Post by Derri January 28th 2015, 9:04 pm

Unfortunately that would be the only way.
    _Twisted_Mods_
    _Twisted_Mods_
    Helper
    Helper

Male Posts : 2083

Post by _Twisted_Mods_ January 28th 2015, 10:35 pm

just make sure i got this right you want to make a section of the forum where members can only see thier own post noone else? or you just want to prevent them from posting in that section if they are not the topic starter?
    Base
    Base
    Forumaster

Male Posts : 10383
    Language : English and French

Post by Base January 30th 2015, 1:40 am

Marked as Solved => Archived

Current date/time is September 22nd 2024, 9:25 pm