How do I transfer a existing Forum on another server over to Forumotion? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
3 posters

How do I transfer a existing Forum on another server over to Forumotion?

Albert Dodd
    Albert Dodd

Male Posts : 10
    Language : English

In progress How do I transfer a existing Forum on another server over to Forumotion?

Post by Albert Dodd August 21st 2015, 1:36 pm

I know this seems silly but I have looked all around my Admin Panel and I cant seem to find a way to move my existing Forum from another server over to Forumotion.

I wanted to move to Forumotion as it is more flexible and editable.

I have a very complicated Forum right now and have done all the hard work building and I would hate to lose over 2 weeks worth of work building it.

I want to come on board here and use it and be able to edit and change the layout to work the way i need it to work.

If anyone could kindly direct me in the right direction so I can start migrating it over to Forumotion it would be Greatly Appreciated.
    brandon_g
    brandon_g
    Manager
    Manager

Male Posts : 10110

In progress Re: How do I transfer a existing Forum on another server over to Forumotion?

Post by brandon_g August 21st 2015, 2:32 pm

Hello,

This tutorial should be able to help you: https://help.forumotion.com/t133904-how-to-import-your-external-forum-on-forumotion

-Brandon

How do I transfer a existing Forum on another server over to Forumotion? Brando10
    Remember to mark your topic How do I transfer a existing Forum on another server over to Forumotion? Solved15 when a solution is found.
    General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

How do I transfer a existing Forum on another server over to Forumotion? Scre1476
    Team Leader
    Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
    Shadow
    Shadow
    Manager
    Manager

Male Posts : 16217
    Language : French, English

In progress Re: How do I transfer a existing Forum on another server over to Forumotion?

Post by Shadow August 21st 2015, 2:36 pm

Hello

In addition to what Brandon said, you first have to create a forum on our service. At the end of the process you'll have an option to migrate your current forum to our service Smile

Thanks
    Albert Dodd
    Albert Dodd

Post by Albert Dodd August 21st 2015, 3:25 pm

Thank you very much for the helpful tips as I do have the Forum on here setup. 

I made my Main Page already.

All i need to do is really get down to learning the steps to Migrate it over now.

As while I was setting it all up I have not found the link or process to migrate it over. Like I said I have not found it yet.

Thanks for all the help...........

blackeye
    brandon_g
    brandon_g
    Manager
    Manager

Post by brandon_g August 21st 2015, 3:28 pm

All the steps should be on that tutorial I linked you to. Wink

Your welcome for the help so far Wink.

-Brandon

How do I transfer a existing Forum on another server over to Forumotion? Brando10
    Remember to mark your topic How do I transfer a existing Forum on another server over to Forumotion? Solved15 when a solution is found.

How do I transfer a existing Forum on another server over to Forumotion? Scre1476
    Team Leader
    Albert Dodd
    Albert Dodd

Post by Albert Dodd August 21st 2015, 3:31 pm

Thanks Brandon,

I was reading it as you replied. I am not sure how I will able to download all the information from the other Forum Hosting Server as it does not have pHp panel. 

I will continue to work on that end to find out I can get all database entries and content from the Server and downloaded.

Thanks A Million,
    Albert
    brandon_g
    brandon_g
    Manager
    Manager

Post by brandon_g August 21st 2015, 3:35 pm

Ah ok, if I were you, I would contact the support team of your hosting provider and ask how you can download the files Wink.

-Brandon

Team Leader
    Albert Dodd
    Albert Dodd

Post by Albert Dodd August 21st 2015, 4:05 pm

I posted it in their Support Forum but have not received a reply back.

And that is why I am moving it to Forumotion now.

It is very complicated Forum with tons of categories and sub-categories and I needed to be able to link a response form to the correct area. And so far none of them are opening up to communicate with me about it.

I'm not a rocket scientist and dont know didly poop about code programming. But I do know what I want and hopefully here I can make the nesseccary changes to the code by having the code editor in front of me and linking it all together somehow.

Thanks,
    Albert D.
    Albert Dodd
    Albert Dodd

Post by Albert Dodd August 21st 2015, 4:28 pm

Just one more question if anyone is looking.

Does Formumotion have a plugin for Form Response's that i can use to get the response's to link to a particular thread and post?
    brandon_g
    brandon_g
    Manager
    Manager

Post by brandon_g August 21st 2015, 4:34 pm

I don't know about a plugin, but there are a couple of tutorials on adding forms to your forum: https://help.forumotion.com/t9533-generating-free-forms-for-your-forum .

-Brandon

Team Leader
    Albert Dodd
    Albert Dodd

Post by Albert Dodd August 21st 2015, 5:36 pm

That will give a starting point thank you so much.

Albert D.
    brandon_g
    brandon_g
    Manager
    Manager

Post by brandon_g August 21st 2015, 5:55 pm

Your welcome, anytime Very Happy.

-Brandon

Team Leader