Run Your Forumotion Forum From Your Own Server Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
4 posters

Run Your Forumotion Forum From Your Own Server

Richardr
    Forumember

Language : english

Run Your Forumotion Forum From Your Own Server Empty Run Your Forumotion Forum From Your Own Server

Post by Richardr September 25th 2008, 6:09 am

Given the recent spate of mishaps, is there any possibility that forumotion will offer their forum programs for hosting on our own servers? Many are keen to put money into forumotion's pocket as soon as you OK it. Other forum providers have this feature and it would be profitable for forumotion too.
    kirk
    kirk
    Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
    Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Run Your Forumotion Forum From Your Own Server Empty Re: Run Your Forumotion Forum From Your Own Server

Post by kirk September 25th 2008, 12:26 pm

Richardr wrote:Given the recent spate of mishaps, is there any possibility that forumotion will offer their forum programs for hosting on our own servers? Many are keen to put money into forumotion's pocket as soon as you OK it. Other forum providers have this feature and it would be profitable for forumotion too.

well actually if you went with a phpbb forum http://www.phpbb.com/
    you can have it on a paid sever and get most of the options forumotion offer.
    just the down side is you have to upload/install certain modules to allow you to get certain options..plus some may be slightly diff and may be not as good or exact like forumotions, but still pretty much on the same grounds.it all depends what you do and how you do it.

i actually have a link somewhere to ware you can start with a free phpbb board then convert it to a paid server when or if you wish. I\'ll see if i can find it. but once again
    a lot of the options you have to install the appropriate modules, and when starting free with the one they do not offer much.

but whether you are on a free forum or your own paid one on a server. there will always be headaches and tech stuff to deal with.. sadly that just come with the whole computer thing Sad believe me i bin there. paid forums are good b/c you can have a lot more freedom, but on the other side there are always down sides too. for me it was not so much the tech stuff. i just got sick of paying for something that a lot members seem to take for granted and complain among other things... sometimes people don\'t appreciate things.. (oh brother dont even get me started on that.. hahaha)

anyway hope that helps and gives you a Lil incite Cool

Last edited by kirk on September 25th 2008, 1:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
    manor
    manor
    Forumember

Male Posts : 137
    Language : en

Run Your Forumotion Forum From Your Own Server Empty Re: Run Your Forumotion Forum From Your Own Server

Post by manor September 25th 2008, 12:36 pm

i have my own server that i use to host my downloads, chatroom, gallery, guestbook,pictures and so on, i would love to be able to take my database there as well and have al the site intergrated then, i so wish this was available to us, maybee a poll would be an idea...
    kirk
    kirk
    Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
    Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Post by kirk September 25th 2008, 1:03 pm

manor wrote:i have my own server that i use to host my downloads, chatroom, gallery, guestbook,pictures and so on, i would love to be able to take my database there as well and have al the site intergrated then, i so wish this was available to us, maybee a poll would be an idea...

well as far as forumotion ever offering there's/yours data being transferable to another place? i do not see that happening. if that's the case. you would have everyone joining creating forums gather there data then running off to another forum host/paid server.
    to me that would not benefit forumotion much at all. even if they did charge. b/c then
    you would have people purchase data that will no longer be on forumtions host and yet still in there data base. but yet if something happens to it. then forumotion are responsible for it??? NOT!!! lol

i mean I'm not exactly sure how that would be? and maybe they will offer it one day.
    but like i said. it just seems to me that people would just come in to accumulate and gather data then run off.that being said. then members/people will want to do the same thing everytime there upset or mad b/c forumotion may be having a few small glitches tech problems they may be encountering? affraid

then what about all the people that cant afford it and have there forums b/c it's free. ware would that leave them. if they were to start charging/selling data. then whats to say they would not start charging for there forums down the road as well?
    (wich would most likely happen) i would think that 75% or more of forumotions members with forums are here b/c it's free. without that most would have to drop out .or go to another place that is free. forumotion offers the best options and is the best free forum host out there.they blow any other free forum host out of the water by far.. cant people just be happy and satisfied with what they have. after all. free is always good in my book.
    why pay for something when it's free??? héhé

like i stated above in the first reply. i bin there done all that with paid forums.
    it has it's ups and down. i suggest that anyone who takes on a paid forum they have there ducks in order and know what there doing. b/c boy if they dont. they'll come running back to free forums and forumotion so fast it will make your head spin loul

all just my opinions of course.

now if they offered it would i buy it.
    god dang write i would.. but not for the price of no longer anyone being able to have a free place with forumotion

oh then there's all the legal issues. yea forget about all that mumbo jumbo above.
    the legal issues alone is reason enough not to even get into the biz of selling there data.. that could get ugly.. for all parties.. you buy your data then sell it to someone else.. and so on..and all reflects back to formotion nope. that's a big no no.Neutral
    manor
    manor
    Forumember

Male Posts : 137
    Language : en

Post by manor September 25th 2008, 4:00 pm

i beleive forumotion will always have free forums and will always have a lot of people using them, i have started off as a small time user and still am but wanting to expand to creating my own options available to me, my thoughts from when i started my forum where very small and things have progressed further than i imagined, i have another site 95%fully functional now and a forum included that has the data base located on my server, i have not yet made it available online to users as im in 2 minds what i should do, i dont want to make everyone sign up again and loose all there post's, that is the only thing stopping me making the switch right now, my other site is fully intergrated to all components and is on vbulletin, ive paid out £100 (appx $200) for the licence and is being unused,guess im just hanging on for a miracle.

Post by Guest September 25th 2008, 11:07 pm

With their current attitude it won't be long before forumotion starts on the slippery downward path to obscurity.
    Richardr
    Forumember

Post by Richardr September 26th 2008, 7:09 am

Thanks for all the feedback, but let's hear what the forumotion admins have to say.
    Richardr
    Forumember

Post by Richardr September 27th 2008, 3:26 am

Personally, I have no doubt, that a profitable business model could be constructed by Forumotion, so that it would be in their self interest to offer self hosting as an alternative. Let's face it, if others can, so can Forumotion. But let's see what Forumotion thinks...

Hello Forumotion, hello Forumotion, do you read me, over!
    ModCore

Male Posts : 9
    Language : English

Post by ModCore September 29th 2008, 10:29 pm

Would be great if we could get the backup's from our forums.

I just upgraded to a dedicated server with vbulletin, and i'd love to transfer all to my new board, but i can't Sad