The forum of the forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The forum of the forums
3 posters

Spam membership applications

Gwim_Weaper
    Gwim_Weaper
    Forumember

Language : English

Solved Spam membership applications

Post by Gwim_Weaper January 19th 2016, 10:52 pm

I have this last few days had quite a few applications for membership to my forum. All applications have registered using a Yahoo email address. Names are a mix of letters /names /numbers, all followed with the number 10. I have deleted them as they have come in
    They are clearly spam applications. My usual way of dealing with applications for membership is to email the address used for registration, this tells me if the email is genuine or not. I ask a series of questions and expect the applicant to reply in a given time. Genuine applicants usually promptly reply and I then activate the account. I know this looks a bit long winded but it keeps out undesirables. These spam applications are now becoming tedious, I may without intending to, activate one which may prove to be disastrous for my forum. Is there anything that forumotion can do to stop these spam applications or offer any advice.

Last edited by Gwim_Weaper on January 19th 2016, 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    brandon_g
    brandon_g
    Manager
    Manager

Male Posts : 10113

Solved Re: Spam membership applications

Post by brandon_g January 19th 2016, 11:15 pm

Hello,

Forumotion has an intericate anti spam system in place which blocks millions of spammers every minute, however, no system is perfect and there is always the possibilty of some seeping through the cracks. The best thing you can do is set your forum to admin only activation and look for any e-mail addresses with periods are that are so long that no human would ever want to use it. There is no definitive to completely prevent spammers from attempting to register on any site, some will find their way in somehow, someway, the only you can do is put every preventive measure that you can and if you do activate one by mistake, then you can simply ban it and delete any posts it makes. Wink

-Brandon

Spam membership applications Brando10
    Remember to mark your topic Spam membership applications Solved15 when a solution is found.
    General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

Spam membership applications Scre1476
    Team Leader
    Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
    Gwim_Weaper
    Gwim_Weaper
    Forumember

Post by Gwim_Weaper January 19th 2016, 11:45 pm

I already have the forum set to admin only activation. Many thanks for your reply. I will keep a close eye on the situation
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51499

Post by SLGray January 20th 2016, 1:13 am

Topic solved and archived

Spam membership applications Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.

Current date/time is September 23rd 2024, 9:30 pm