The forum of the forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The forum of the forums
+2
brandon_g
v3ga
6 posters

Private forum section

v3ga
    Forumember

Male Posts : 53
    Language : english

Solved Private forum section

Post by v3ga July 27th 2016, 11:25 pm

I have a forum about a game (Xonotic) and we have trouble with a huge troll on there. He claims to be able to see a section of my forum that should only be visible for certain groups which he's not part of. I was wondering if such a thing is possible because he did give some accurate information about topics that were located in that section. And if it's possible what can i do about it?

vega

Last edited by v3ga on July 30th 2016, 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
    brandon_g
    brandon_g
    Manager
    Manager

Male Posts : 10113
    Language : English

Solved Re: Private forum section

Post by brandon_g July 28th 2016, 1:01 am

Hello,

Sounds like there is a permissions problem somewhere that is making it possible for the user to read topics in there.

I would double check the permissions for that section and make sure 'Can read the topics' and 'Can view the forum' are both unticked for all groups that you dont want to be able to view it.

I have seen it happen where, in the rare event, if you have 'Can view the forum' unticked for users or groups, but the admin who set up the permissions either forget to untick or didnt see the need to untick 'Can read topics'. Now when this happens, while the section itself may be hidden, a user could still read the topics in the section if they have the precise topic url or if they clicked a link to it.

That said, I would make sure both 'Can view the forum' and 'Can read the topics' are unticked for the groups you dont want to access the section or any of the topic in it Wink.

Private forum section Brando10
    Remember to mark your topic Private forum section Solved15 when a solution is found.
    General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

Private forum section Scre1476
    Team Leader
    Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51498

Post by SLGray July 28th 2016, 10:03 am

Also it could be that this member is just saying he/she can see the section.  Ask for proof, like screenshots.

Could it be that he/she has another account that is part of the group, or could it be that he/she used an account of a member of that group?

Private forum section Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.
    v3ga
    Forumember

Post by v3ga July 28th 2016, 12:09 pm

Thing is he doesn't even have an account on my forum, he's a guest. The permissions are all set the way they have to be, i double checked just now. I'll be sure to ask him for proof though, he might just have receive the information from a person who can see the topics.

vega
    Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 19325
    Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

Post by Ape July 28th 2016, 12:24 pm

sounds to me this member is not a guest but dose really have an account there just not telling you they have one

Private forum section Left1212Private forum section Center11Private forum section Right112
    Private forum section Ape_b110
    Private forum section Ape1010
    v3ga
    Forumember

Post by v3ga July 28th 2016, 1:03 pm

APE wrote:sounds to me this member is not a guest but dose really have an account there just not telling you they have one

Even if that's the case he's for sure not a part of the groups that can see this section. I know every single one of those guy personally and he's not one of them. The scary thing is that he's really good with coding so i thought he might be able to hack people, before i assume that though i'll ask him for proof.

vega
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51498

Post by SLGray July 28th 2016, 9:20 pm

Is he friends with the other members of this group?  It could be that someone allowed him to used their account.

Private forum section Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.
    Ace
    Ace
    Forumember

Language : Portuguese & English

Post by Ace July 29th 2016, 4:06 am

Hi,

So, like others said above, it's highly likely that someone told him, leaked or granted him access to these sections. If he isn't an administrator and doesn't have permission to see the topics, he won't, since PHP technology is based server side. That way, even if he tried to modify things client side it would be unlikely for him to discover a glitch that would allow such access. If you do trust people that have access to these sections and they say they are not leaking information, I'd say it's much more probable that they have weak passwords and, there for, allowed someone to access their own personal accounts. There are other concerns, such as the usage of the same password throughout the internet, the same password for both e-mail and forum's account and so on. By any chance, have you received a PM from him or other suspicious account with an external link? It isn't necessarily a virus that would grant him access.

Besides, what's the extension of these leaks? He knows precisely the content of a post, he knows when someone posted in the private section, what time, what's the topic URL...? There are easy ways of finding these without having trouble (except for the content of the posts and the topic).

However, again, most likely it has been leaked by someone with access or had their account compromised -- thus granting access.
    v3ga
    Forumember

Post by v3ga July 30th 2016, 11:10 am

Ace wrote:
    However, again, most likely it has been leaked by someone with access or had their account compromised -- thus granting access.

Turns out it was leaked information by one of my other members. He couldn't provide any proof he could see all the posts, he only had information about a few. The information given away wasn't much of a problem, it would have been a problem if he got other information as we do talk about our gameserver configuration and such a lot in that private section. I will mark the topic as solved, guess i shouldn't panic that fast next time Wink

Thanks guys!
    Nemo
    Nemo
    Active Poster

Male Posts : 1203
    Language : Greek, English, French

Post by Nemo July 30th 2016, 11:38 am

Problem solved & topic archived.
    Please read our forum rules: ESF General Rules

Current date/time is September 23rd 2024, 2:26 am