Topics views do not show the real number Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
4 posters

Topics views do not show the real number

In progress Topics views do not show the real number

Post by Guest November 19th 2016, 3:59 pm

Hi, in my forum and probably every other, whenever you visit the topic and click refresh, that counts as a view.
    It should be like that since it should be unique views only and it totally messes up the view count.

Thanks.
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51548
    Language : English

In progress Re: Topics views do not show the real number

Post by SLGray November 19th 2016, 8:37 pm

It counts every time the page is loaded.  Refreshing the page is considered another load.

Read my post below yours.

Last edited by SLGray on November 19th 2016, 10:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

Topics views do not show the real number Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.

Post by Guest November 19th 2016, 8:46 pm

This is so stupid, no decent forum is doing this, it should be only one unique view per ip.
    Now someone can set up an auto clicker and get it up to millions.

Imagine if this was on YouTube etc? Just fix it and stop joking around.

@Derri @Leviosa , look at this.
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SLGray November 19th 2016, 10:43 pm

Are you sure that it is increasing when you refresh the page?  I just tested here and it does not increase.  Could it be that someone else was looking at the topic that you refreshed on your forum?

Post by Guest November 20th 2016, 12:12 am

SLGray wrote:Are you sure that it is increasing when you refresh the page?  I just tested here and it does not increase.  Could it be that someone else was looking at the topic that you refreshed on your forum?

I am sure, tested many times, my forum has no registered members and was created today: http://murkliai.forumlt.com/

Sorry, it is not about refreshing, you have to visit the thread again, so if you click back-forward buttons on your browser - the number increases all the time. This issue is not happening in this forum, but it is in mine...
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SLGray November 20th 2016, 4:00 am

You do know that the amount increase also when guests view the topics?

Post by Guest November 20th 2016, 5:45 pm

I know, can you please fix this and don't state the obvious?
    brandon_g
    brandon_g
    Manager
    Manager

Male Posts : 10112

Post by brandon_g November 20th 2016, 6:06 pm

Hello,

SLGray or Derri can not fix it. They are only Support forum admins that are volunteers and do not have access to serverside stuff such as this type of thing.

As far as I know this is not a bug and is meant to happen. If you would like to, you can make a suggestion topic for this in our suggestions section and maybe it will be considered by our pro staff and techs to be implemented. Other then this suggestion, there is nothing else we can really do about this for you, as none of us have access to the server or database and can not make changes like this. We also can not report this to our pro staff, because it is not a bug. I would strongly recommend making a suggestion for this in our suggestions section and hopefully it will be implemented. Until then, there is not really anything we can do for you about this, sorry. Sad

-Brandon

Topics views do not show the real number Brando10
    Remember to mark your topic Topics views do not show the real number Solved15 when a solution is found.
    General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

Topics views do not show the real number Scre1476
    Team Leader
    Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points

Post by Guest November 20th 2016, 6:19 pm

Damn, but how come you have this fixed in your forum?
    brandon_g
    brandon_g
    Manager
    Manager

Male Posts : 10112

Post by brandon_g November 20th 2016, 6:29 pm

I don't believe it is. I believe the same thing happens here. Unless there is some sort of code that can make this happen?

@Luffy , is there is any code you know of that can make it so only the first view by a user to a topic counts?

Edit: Yes it does do it here too. I just tested it. I went to other problems to see how many views it had and then checked to make sure no one was viewing the section, therefore no one would be able to look at this topic at the same time, then I clicked on this topic, let it load, refreshed and then checked again and sure enough it went up two views. I did this two times just now and each time it did the same thing. I believe it is not 'fixed' here and does the same thing as your forum and every other forumotion forum does.

-Brandon

Last edited by brandon_g on November 21st 2016, 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Topics views do not show the real number Brando10
    Remember to mark your topic Topics views do not show the real number Solved15 when a solution is found.
    General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

Topics views do not show the real number Scre1476
    Team Leader
    Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
    TheCrow
    TheCrow
    Manager
    Manager

Male Posts : 6923
    Language : Greek, English

Post by TheCrow November 20th 2016, 7:51 pm

Viewing the forum never counted per person but by view. If i was to view a topic 5 times then i viewed it 5 times. That equals to 5 views. What's the problem with that? That's how it was since forever.

Topics views do not show the real number Thecro10
    Forum of the Forums

Forumotion Rules | Tips & Tricks |
    FAQ | Did you forget your password?

*** The Support Forum will never ask you for your email or password, so please do not post them anywhere! ***
    No support via PM!

Post by Guest November 20th 2016, 8:25 pm

Luffy wrote:Viewing the forum never counted per person but by view. If i was to view a topic 5 times then i viewed it 5 times. That equals to 5 views. What's the problem with that? That's how it was since forever.

Because it can be ABUSED! I click back and forward with an auto clicker and do this a million times and suddenly it makes no sense. It should show real numbers and not how many times people re-visited site. On youtube's videos you don't add a second view if you watch the video again from the same device/browser.

I am really surprised, since no decent forum has this issue and some of you guys are like ''well it shows the numbers'' and playing dumb. I am an active member in multiple forums which are very popular and have never seen this issue happening in any decent website. Usually the websites that have this are cheap/not known at all. I remember back in like 2004 I've seen this on mobile - wap website visitor counters which were created by kids. Nowadays, this is not happening, so please learn on how to spot issues in your service, especially when it is reported.
    TheCrow
    TheCrow
    Manager
    Manager

Post by TheCrow November 20th 2016, 8:54 pm

I'm sorry but this is how this was since forever. It never changed to this. Also youtube works the same way. It's not for each individual user who views the video. View means a view. As long as you view something it counts as a view. Even clicks work like this. If you click on a link twice it counts for 2 clicks. Same thing for the views.

Forum of the Forums

*** The Support Forum will never ask you for your email or password, so please do not post them anywhere! ***
    No support via PM!

Post by Guest November 20th 2016, 8:57 pm

Luffy wrote:I'm sorry but this is how this was since forever. It never changed to this. Also youtube works the same way. It's not for each individual user who views the video. View means a view. As long as you view something it counts as a view. Even clicks work like this. If you click on a link twice it counts for 2 clicks. Same thing for the views.

Go to a video with 500-1000 views and keep clicking back and forward and see if a view is added.
    What are you doing here? You need some sort of a basic knowledge about internet in order to be a part of a support team (facepalm).
    TheCrow
    TheCrow
    Manager
    Manager

Post by TheCrow November 20th 2016, 9:02 pm

I am afraid you misunderstood my point. I know what can happen to a forum but you have to understand that youtube and a forum are two huge different things.

Ok so, go to a video. Click play. Close the tab and then go again to that video using a new tab. You'll see that the video will rise to its views.
    Same thing happens to the topics.

Forum of the Forums

No support via PM!

Post by Guest November 20th 2016, 9:25 pm

Just did it - nothing changed. I already knew that nothing will change, but did it just to prove how wrong you are. Please fix this and stop trying to prove anything.
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SLGray November 20th 2016, 9:28 pm

It must be your browser is not updating the information.

This happens on Youtiube, our forums, and forums that I am a member of that is not hosted by Forumotion.

Post by Guest November 20th 2016, 9:29 pm

SLGray wrote:It must be your browser's is not updating the information.

This happens on Youtiube, our forums, and forums that I am a member of that is not hosted by Forumotion.

Nope lmao, every unique view is added except not unique ones. That's how a normal system works.
    Guys, you are so hilarious here.

Post by Guest November 20th 2016, 9:31 pm

brandon_g wrote:I don't believe it is. I believe the same thing happens here. Unless there is some sort of count that can make this happen?

@Luffy , is there is any code you know of that can make it so only the first view by a user to a topic counts?

Edit: Yes it does do it here too. I just tested it. I went to other problems to see how many views it had and then checked to make sure no one was viewing the section, therefore no one would be able to look at this topic at the same time, then I clicked on this topic, let it load, refreshed and then checked again and sure enough it went up two views. I did this two times just now and each time it did the same thing. I believe it is not 'fixed' here and does the same thing as your forum and every other forumotion forum does.

-Brandon

Brandon, please save me from these people lol.
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SLGray November 20th 2016, 9:36 pm

Why do you consider this a bug?  It does not effect your members, topics, forums, categories. etc.  It just shows how many VIEWS for a topic.

Post by Guest November 20th 2016, 9:38 pm

SLGray wrote:Why do you consider this a bug?  It does not effect your members, topics, forums, categories. etc.  It just shows how many VIEWS for a topic.

You can consider an option to see unique views as a new addition, my premature Christmas gift, whatever, as long as you implement it, I don't care about the rest.
    TheCrow
    TheCrow
    Manager
    Manager

Post by TheCrow November 20th 2016, 9:59 pm

Just so i reply to brandon, about a code, i am not aware of any code that will do what you want here. This has been like this for as long as i remember and to be honest it's the first time i see a "complaint" about this. I thought this was logical but i can see i am wrong.

Forum of the Forums

No support via PM!

Post by Guest November 20th 2016, 10:07 pm

Smile I made a suggestion about this in the appropriate section., we need a person who is in charge of the updates to see it.
    Nemo
    Nemo
    Active Poster

Male Posts : 1203
    Language : Greek, English, French

Post by Nemo November 20th 2016, 10:33 pm

wernis wrote:Smile I made a suggestion about this in the appropriate section., we need a person who is in charge of the updates to see it.

Suggestions are frequently reviewed by our staff. However, we do not know if your proposal will be accepted.

Is this solved?

Hello

Post by Guest November 20th 2016, 10:40 pm

Keep it open for now and if there will be no replies within 24 hours - you can mark it as solved.