I tried to search for tutorials of how to build a forum in Youtube and I barely found anything. I have a lot of doubts. Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
5 posters

I tried to search for tutorials of how to build a forum in Youtube and I barely found anything. I have a lot of doubts.

Shamash
    Shamash

Language : English

In progress I tried to search for tutorials of how to build a forum in Youtube and I barely found anything. I have a lot of doubts.

Post by Shamash October 15th 2018, 7:11 am

I just created a forum, and am completely lost. All YouTube tutorials pass right over where I am stuck.

1)On the bottom of the page there are three icons; New Posts, No New Posts, Forum Locked (with locked icon)
    Since I can't get the forum to do anything, is it locked?

I did not select a PhP type when creating the forum, how do I set it at PhP BB2?

Can you recommend an extreme basic tutorial, for someone who is tech-ignorant?
    skouliki
    skouliki
    Manager
    Manager

Female Posts : 15258
    Language : English,Greek

In progress Re: I tried to search for tutorials of how to build a forum in Youtube and I barely found anything. I have a lot of doubts.

Post by skouliki October 15th 2018, 8:23 am

hello and welcome 

here you can find all you need https://help.forumotion.com/t59451-frequently-asked-questions

1) these are the category icons depending on your settings a category can be open or locked to members

see how to create the categories  https://help.forumotion.com/t3313-categories-and-forums-creation-and-appearance?highlight=categories
    see how to set category permissions https://help.forumotion.com/t138466-permissions?highlight=permissions

these buttons along with all the others you can find them and change them from your admin panel 

I tried to search for tutorials of how to build a forum in Youtube and I barely found anything. I have a lot of doubts. Scree289

2)you can change your version from here 

I tried to search for tutorials of how to build a forum in Youtube and I barely found anything. I have a lot of doubts. Scree291

i will be happy to help you if you have any more questions

Shamash
    Shamash

In progress Re: I tried to search for tutorials of how to build a forum in Youtube and I barely found anything. I have a lot of doubts.

Post by Shamash October 15th 2018, 4:17 pm

I was able to set the version at phpBB2, which matches most YouTube tutorials I found.

However I still can't find the Style Element menu to take the forum out of Locked. Can you give me a step-by-step how to get there?

Thank you!

This video helped.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifiUywbRQa4

Last edited by Shamash on October 15th 2018, 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest October 15th 2018, 5:05 pm

Advice:Dont use phpBB2, it's ancient and you dont want your forum to look ancient. Try the AwesomeBB one, it's new and looks modern.
    Shamash
    Shamash

Post by Shamash October 15th 2018, 5:18 pm

Can you recommend a tutorial video for it?

Post by Guest October 15th 2018, 5:56 pm

What kind of tutorial do you need? What should it be about? What is it that you try to do? I cant give you a video tutorial without knowing what you are trying to do
    skouliki
    skouliki
    Manager
    Manager

Female Posts : 15258
    Language : English,Greek

Post by skouliki October 15th 2018, 6:06 pm

Shamash wrote:Can you recommend a tutorial video for it?

the AwesomeBB is also a new modern forum version you can find it in the same spot in the Admin panel

Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 19212
    Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

Post by Ape October 15th 2018, 7:45 pm

Hello @Shamash The icons New Locked and No new posts dose not mean your forum is locked it is a basic icons set to show your members of the icons that will show if you have a new post / No new posts or if you have locked a topic or thread.

there is nothing to worry about your forum is not locked.

see my forum has the same thing
    I tried to search for tutorials of how to build a forum in Youtube and I barely found anything. I have a lot of doubts. Captur78

I tried to search for tutorials of how to build a forum in Youtube and I barely found anything. I have a lot of doubts. Left1212I tried to search for tutorials of how to build a forum in Youtube and I barely found anything. I have a lot of doubts. Center11I tried to search for tutorials of how to build a forum in Youtube and I barely found anything. I have a lot of doubts. Right112
    I tried to search for tutorials of how to build a forum in Youtube and I barely found anything. I have a lot of doubts. Ape_b110
    I tried to search for tutorials of how to build a forum in Youtube and I barely found anything. I have a lot of doubts. Ape1010
    Shamash
    Shamash

Post by Shamash October 16th 2018, 5:08 am

I am going to try the awesome option.
    I keep getting hung up trying to set up folders and sub-folders. It still doesn't make logical sense to me.
    Shamash
    Shamash

Post by Shamash October 16th 2018, 5:11 am

Last edited by Shamash on October 16th 2018, 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Shamash
    Shamash

Post by Shamash October 16th 2018, 5:14 am

This is what I want to do...

a) The basics in forum appearance. Background, colors, fonts, and similar.
    b) How to create folders and sub-folders, lock their position, and set permissions.
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51544

Post by SLGray October 16th 2018, 9:02 am

Please try not to double post. Your post needs to be separated by a period of 24 hours.  You can use the edit button.  This is not an official warning.  Also please change your topic's title to one that can be easily search on the support forum.  It needs to be related to your issue/question.

Please checkout the frequently asked questions section:  https://help.forumotion.com/t59451-frequently-asked-questions

I tried to search for tutorials of how to build a forum in Youtube and I barely found anything. I have a lot of doubts. Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.
    mpelmmc
    mpelmmc
    Helper
    Helper

Male Posts : 1092
    Language : English and Spanish

Post by mpelmmc October 19th 2018, 11:40 am

Hello @Shamash

Just FYI, youtube tutorials won't be helpful when it comes to creating a new forum here in Forumotion.

We have tons of tutorials and FAQs in the support forum. It might not be as comfortable for you as it'd be watching a YT video, but we have almost everything you need written in our tutorials. I would recommend you to take a look to said tutorials.

Of course, if you find any doubt you can open a topic here in the support forum and we will try our best to help you.

I have changed the title of your topic so it will be easier for potential future members to find it by using the search engine Wink

Best regards.