The forum of the forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The forum of the forums
5 posters

A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no'

Unzy
    Unzy

Language : ENG

Solved A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no'

Post by Unzy 18/4/2019, 04:05

Hi Forumotion,

My forum : http://xbotserver.forumotion.com/

In order to allow a minority of members with certain names to register on my forum i changed the following security setting :

"Unauthorize subscriptions made with the most commonly used spam usernames." It's defaulted as 'yes'

I saved it to be 'no'

However at random times, this setting sets itself back to 'yes', despite my saves. That causes those few members to be unauthorized and not be able to login anymore.

Is there a way to set this permanently to no? Or do something with those few members permissions?

Thnx in advance!

Unzy

Last edited by Unzy on 20/4/2019, 01:48; edited 1 time in total
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51498
    Language : English

Solved Re: A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no'

Post by SLGray 18/4/2019, 05:00

If the system sees accounts that could be suspicious, the settings are changed to prevent them from registering.  This also happens when there is not a lot of activity on the forum.  Are the registration options also changing?

A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no' Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.
    Unzy
    Unzy

Solved Re: A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no'

Post by Unzy 18/4/2019, 05:19

Hi Admin,

As far as I know , no they havent changed. In order to be able for those members to login again, i have to register them myself, activate account again and then they can login and edit their own parameters. Then its just random when spamfilter is set back to 'yes' and i have to re-do all again

In the security administration that particular setting is also the only one that i edited. The rest is as default
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51498

Post by SLGray 18/4/2019, 05:24

So the accounts are being deleted?

A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no' Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.
    Unzy
    Unzy

Post by Unzy 18/4/2019, 05:38

Well, im not sure deleted, they are just nowhere to be found. Not in the member's list, not in inactive list and there's nothing in the 'last actions' list. They just disapeared. are they put in some vault? or in some Suspicious fodler? dunno

But I can use their exact names again, so yea on my forum it seems they are deleted then

Unzy
    brandon_g
    brandon_g
    Manager
    Manager

Male Posts : 10113

Post by brandon_g 18/4/2019, 08:36

Do you have any other admins who could be changing it back?

-Brandon

A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no' Brando10
    Remember to mark your topic A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no' Solved15 when a solution is found.
    General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no' Scre1476
    Team Leader
    Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
    Unzy
    Unzy

Post by Unzy 18/4/2019, 12:57

Hi Brandon,
    I am the only one with access to the administration panel

Grtz
    Unzy
    brandon_g
    brandon_g
    Manager
    Manager

Post by brandon_g 19/4/2019, 06:17

Do you do any forum restores?

A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no' Brando10
    Remember to mark your topic A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no' Solved15 when a solution is found.

A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no' Scre1476
    Team Leader
    The Godfather
    The Godfather
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by The Godfather 19/4/2019, 14:30

hello @Unzy

Unzy wrote:...I am the only one with access to the administration panel...

no, this is not the case at all! apart from the founder, I note 8 other admins on this forum all are active and connect to the admin panel....
    Unzy
    Unzy

Post by Unzy 19/4/2019, 15:00

I have forum admins yes but they do not connect to the admin panel.

I am the one who registered, installed and configured the forum. Are you saying that whenever I make someone admin on the forum (I did that because we have a hidden forum section only visible for admins) they have access to my administration panel and can just delete the forum or mess with other users???

Thats a bigger security risk than someone trying to register with a spam name

i was under the impression i was the main admin

Unzy
    brandon_g
    brandon_g
    Manager
    Manager

Post by brandon_g 19/4/2019, 22:18

Yes as it says in the admin group itself, anyone you put in that group has access to the admin panel and can connect admin panel and change stuff.

They can not delete the forum or access the forum templates since those are founder only, but they can access the option in question.

My advice to you would be to remove all the people from the admin group and never add anyone you dont trust to it. If you want to have a private section, just create a hidden group, add them to it and then make it so only admins and that group can access it. That way they cant make changes to the site.

-Brandon

Last edited by brandon_g on 20/4/2019, 01:35; edited 1 time in total

Team Leader
    Unzy
    Unzy

Post by Unzy 19/4/2019, 23:15

I want you guys to thank you for making this clear to me, i had no idea!
    Im gonna follow your instructions

Thank you

Unzy
    brandon_g
    brandon_g
    Manager
    Manager

Post by brandon_g 20/4/2019, 01:33

No problem! Very Happy

May we consider this solved?

Team Leader
    Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 19325
    Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

Post by Ape 20/4/2019, 04:28

mark as solved.
    Problem solved & topic archived.
    Please read our forum rules: ESF General Rules

A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no' Left1212A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no' Center11A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no' Right112
    A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no' Ape_b110
    A security setting is randomly set back to 'yes' when i saved it as 'no' Ape1010

Current date/time is 23/9/2024, 02:15