The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Copyright of content

2 posters

Go down

Copyright of content Empty Copyright of content

Post by PippaB July 9th 2008, 11:12 am

Hello, I have an issue with a previous moderator that I need advise on. He has left the forum after a disagreement and is now demanding that all his posts be removed or I face legal action. What I'd like to know is, who owns the copyright of the information posted willingly within the forum? Does it remain at all times with the originator or does it pass to the forum once it's posted? I couldn't find anything in the T&C and a search hasn't thrown any info up on this issue either.

I'll probably go through the forum and remove this person's input anyway but I'd like to know if I'm doing it as a legal requirement or a gesture of goodwill.

Many thanks.
PippaB
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Copyright of content Empty Re: Copyright of content

Post by Guest July 9th 2008, 12:23 pm

It is a legal requirement that if a previous member or staff request you to dispose of any posts that is under their details then you must comply with their request.

You may keep other posts that relate to his/her questions and answers but the members posts and threads themselves must be deleted.

Regards

Craig

Back to top Go down

Post by PippaB July 9th 2008, 12:24 pm

Many thanks for clarification.
PippaB
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest July 9th 2008, 12:29 pm

Not a problem at all Very Happy

Regards

Craig

Back to top Go down

Post by PippaB July 9th 2008, 4:09 pm

I've just found some information from a Forummotion staff member on another thread which states the following:-

It should be noted however that you cannot require of the administrator to remove all your messages (Except if they contain personal information making it possible to identify you formally).

There is however an exception to this obligation:

In the event of a complaint (For racist insults, slandering, remarks, homophobes or revisionists remarks, etc...) against the person who asks for the suppression of his account, it should be known that the administrator cannot erase the data relating to the identification of this person (In particular IP address who allows to identify a person formally): it is legally held to be able to communicate with them during a one year deadline minimum (This to allow for example justice to find this person and to possibly initiate a procedure against that particular persone).

Now this would seem to contradict the information I was given earlier on in the thread....
PippaB
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest July 9th 2008, 4:32 pm

It would seem that way however taking into consideration you had made the comment earlier that there was a dispute between you and the Moderator. If this is true, that you and your colleague had a dispute and this incident pushed the moderator into leaving and is now requesting the information which may link back to them (Posts showing a profile name for example, if you google mine you will find me all over the web, it can identify me) then this new information that you have found and posted doesn't contradict what you were previously advised, instead it reinforces it.....

Baring in mind i had not stated that deleting the IP address or account was advisable and should/should not be done, The information previously given only refers to the posts made by the person in question.

Regards

Craig

Back to top Go down

Post by PippaB July 9th 2008, 4:48 pm

He's such a spiteful and difficult individual even if I didn't have to remove his postings I think I would anyway just to attempt to draw a line under the whole issue. We've tried everything possible to try and sort the situation out - we even offered to hand the board over to him entirely but there's just no getting through - I think he's a bit nutzoid to be honest!

It'd be best for us to just bite the bullet, remove all his postings one by one (there's no other way to do it apparently Rolling Eyes ) and then attempt to get the board back on track without him and move on.

It's a shame but there you go - some people are weird.
PippaB
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by mamabear July 9th 2008, 5:34 pm

That is so sad.
Hope it all works out and good luckwith all the deleding
mamabear
mamabear
Forumember

Female Posts : 528

http://todgrow.forumandco.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest July 9th 2008, 6:07 pm

Good luck

It must be alot of posts

Delegate and get another member of staff to do some of it, you know to speed it up Very Happy

Regards

Craig

Back to top Go down

Post by PippaB July 9th 2008, 6:28 pm

Thanks everyone for your help :-)
PippaB
Forumember

Back to top Go down